Couple easy pine removals W/crane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I give up :censored: .. If some one could embed the pics for me that would be great since It is obviously beyond me. Also Delete the links that do not work??

how not to rig!!

This last pic is an example of how not to set the straps. I was tired as this was the 5th and last tree of the day and I failed to properly position the chokers. First off I should have got a bigger set of straps, Second The straps should have been completly opposite for a smoother pic and also to compensate for the weight of the remaining limbs, And lastly I should have had the 394-36" combo for the last couple pics to save from trying to walk around the spar and complete the cut with the 372-32".

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg33/custom8726/WELLINGTONTREEJOB1.jpg

Im sure I will get flamed for this pic but if it helps some one else its worth it!!

Nice work but I gotta ask again: How the heck do you guys keep those hats on with no chin strap?
Are you a hook rider?

Nice work but I gotta ask again: How the heck do you guys keep those hats on with no chin strap?
Are you a hook rider?

Never had a problem keeping the hat on. As far as hook rider, if you mean where I generally tie in? Then yes. Often I will just catch a ride to a good tie in point and then free climb from point to point while the crane is setting pics. Its often faster then waiting for the crane operator on certain trees. It also depends on how ambitious I am feeling on that giving day.

I know pictures can be deceiving, but why did you use a crane for these trees. They don't look that complicated nor that much over the home. Was it quicker and more profitable that way? I'm sure it was easier. Just curious. I see alot of crane work being done lately. If you own the crane already it makes perfect sence but it looks like you rented. cool pics too..... Mike

I know pictures can be deceiving, but why did you use a crane for these trees. They don't look that complicated nor that much over the home. Was it quicker and more profitable that way? I'm sure it was easier. Just curious. I see alot of crane work being done lately. If you own the crane already it makes perfect sence but it looks like you rented. cool pics too..... Mike

They could have been done with the bucket or simply roping them out. But being in close proximity to the houses, service lines, and manicured landscaping below the crane was the fastest, safest, and most professional way to do the job IMO.. We rent/lease 3 different cranes on a regular basis and often compound a couple bigger tree jobs in one day to maximize production. This day was a good example, first job= 1.5hrs crane work, second job (pics above) 3hrs crane work. Total crane hrs 4.5 @ 125 per hr = $575.00 in crane pay on $5,700.00 doller day. Now those two same jobs would have been atleast 2 full days roping them old school. Get the picture?? As far as renting the crane it would make more sense to own your own crane if you had the work to justify the 100k-250k purchase. I intend on buying a nice 20-30 ton crane in the near future to further diversify our buisness and also keep us busy doing other jobs (Trusses, steel work etc..) when tree work is slow.

thanks for the explanation. Around here cranes are much more expensive. 2-3 grand a day. So for you I can see how it makes alot of sence. I havn't been able to justify the expense yet on a job. A crane would not be profitable here unless the tree was very very large, dangerous or there was no other way to rig it. Mike

Nice work Custom! That's the way to work the crane. I could use a job like that seing as I never rode one yet. Nothing too big and multiples, a guy could get some good experience on a day like that.:cheers:

2-3k?? wow thats outragous for a 8hr day unless there 100 ton plus cranes. The 50 toner we often use is 1,200.00 a 8hr day but its rare we have any crane for more then 5-6 hrs per job. The key is doing as much prep work as possible (Pre-crane) so when the crane shows up you can get them in and out ASAP.. That includes laying out plywood, having large chip truck capacities, or like us multiple chip trucks, preped saws, telephone,cable, service lines droped if need be, raising or limbing, ability to load logs and keep them out of the way (skidsteer, grapple) etc,etc. Another benefit is exposure to potential clients, people love watching tree work in general Add a 150' crane to the mix and it usually draws a crowd. :cheers:

Nice work Custom! That's the way to work the crane. I could use a job like that seing as I never rode one yet. Nothing too big and multiples, a guy could get some good experience on a day like that.:cheers:

Even the big trees become easy after you get comfortable working in conjunction with a good crane OP.. The biggest problem for me is doing it old school these days (FREE CLIMBING) I get spoiled owning a bucket and utilizing cranes so often. I have alot of years left in the tree bizz (hopefully) so if theres a easier way thats safer Im all for it now days...

P.s. I never had the luxury of a crane or bucket my first 8 years of climbing..

Nice,professional looking job. Three quick questions in reference to the big wood ? Did you guys keep it or sub-contract the hauling ? What size truck did you use? Were the stumps ground ?:cheers:

Nice,professional looking job. Three quick questions in reference to the big wood ? Did you guys keep it or sub-contract the hauling ? What size truck did you use? Were the stumps ground ?:cheers:

We have a 30' goose neck trailer behind a duramax (2) and a skidsteer W/grapple to load the big stuff and also a 28k GVW dump truck with a IMT knuckle boom for the logs. So yes we keep the wood for the Baker sawmill sitting at the shop and or the out door wood furnace that heats the shop. The stumps were not ground on that particular job but we do have 2 grinders, a Carlton self propelled and a Rayco tow behind W/70hp Duetze for the big stuff.

Even the big trees become easy after you get comfortable working in conjunction with a good crane OP.. The biggest problem for me is doing it old school these days (FREE CLIMBING) I get spoiled owning a bucket and utilizing cranes so often. I have alot of years left in the tree bizz (hopefully) so if theres a easier way thats safer Im all for it now days...

P.s. I never had the luxury of a crane or bucket my first 8 years of climbing..

I could see that. Thats why I don't envy bucket and crane guys, I still love to climb and don't want to lose that. After all, climbing is the foundation of treework. I call our GRCS the portable crane, that's as close as I've gotten.

I could see that. Thats why I don't envy bucket and crane guys, I still love to climb and don't want to lose that. After all, climbing is the foundation of treework. I call our GRCS the portable crane, that's as close as I've gotten.

Its definetly a cooler feeling taking down a monster (Old school) but after years of it it tends to lose its luster when there is easier, safer, ways available. The bigger problem is the guy who starts with the bucket and crane before really learning the fundamentals of climbing that ends up with limited work loads and dangerous situations when sh!t does go not as planned. I have debatted getting a GRCS or something comperable but for the money I just cant justify it in my area, they are cool though. :cheers:

When I worked for another company we did a couple crane jobs and we used a 130 ton for the smaller job and a 150 for a bigger job. Seems like we had way too much crane. But I wasn't footing the bill I was just running the ground show. I have never been the climber for a crane job. What size crane was it for that job? What capacity does it have (Appprox) at different distances? What is the max hook height? thanks. Havn't had much experience with cranes except for a few jobs..... Mike

Back