Covering/securing firewood in bed of truck during transport.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the understanding that the first issues for weight is what the tire is rated for and of course the tags tonnage. Then only the officer knows how he is going to handle things. They seldom harass farmers but I have heard from one of my friend that own a dealership that they keep tire weight rating at the top of the list when setting up a sale.....we don't have any licensing for slow moving and ag equip. in Nebraska......But they could be ticketed for overweight.
Not right but you seldom see overweight fines for farmers in our local papers,,unless it is trucking..

Many farmers run (farm tags) witch excludes them from most DOT regulations.
I ran farm tags on my tree truck (with big john transplanter) for 20+ years.
I rarely got stopped, but when I did DOT would realize I had farm tags and just let me go.
I drove 12 hours a day for 20+ years with a CDL and farm tags and never got a ticket for anything.
With farm tags I didn't even have to a run drivers log book.
I have seen DOT pull over pickup trucks pulling trailers and I have talked to many truck drivers and have see them get ticketed for something as simple as a tire iron laying loose in the bed of there truck.
I have seen many times on the news where an object falls off a truck and almost kills someone.
Anyone that is willing to risk an unsafe situation and put others at risk, needs to be stopped and fined or forced to transfer the load to a truck thats legal.
Even though I could get away with a lot because of the farm tags, I always did it as safe as I could and followed all DOT rules. I have over a million miles under my belt so I have seen and heard a lot about trucking over the years.
Everyone should do it the right way and stay safe as possible. I know I sure do.

I rarely got stopped, but when I did DOT would realize I had farm tags and just let me go.
I drove 12 hours a day for 20+ years with a CDL and farm tags and never got a ticket for anything.
I have seen DOT pull over pickup trucks pulling trailers and I have talked to many truck drivers and have see them get ticketed for something as simple as a tire iron laying loose in the bed of there truck.
I have seen many times on the news where an object falls off a truck and almost kills someone.
Anyone that is willing to risk an unsafe situation and put others at risk, needs to be stopped and fined or forced to transfer the load to a truck thats legal.
Even though I could get away with a lot because of the farm tags, I always did it as safe as I could and followed all DOT rules. I have over a million miles under my belt so I have seen and heard a lot about trucking over the years.
Everyone should do it the right way and stay safe as possible. I know I sure do.

You don't leave much room for an argument. Well said. It always Irked me to have farmers bring in logs to my mill yard for custom sawing knowing all the strings the insurance companies would attach to a log truck but the farm trucks were always scary for me to see .The last statement (sentence)you made would Make DOT obsolete ...

You don't leave much room for an argument. Well said. It always Irked me to have farmers bring in logs to my mill yard for custom sawing knowing all the strings the insurance companies would attach to a log truck but the farm trucks were always scary for me to see .The last statement (sentence)you made would Make DOT obsolete ...
my family owns a logging company and we also have a farm...we run farm plates on all the "straight job" trucks (log trucks, and dump trucks, yard loaders),tree chipper, slasher trailer, and the pickups, but run commercial plates on the tractor trailers, as they spend 90% of the time on the highway

my family owns a logging company and we also have a farm...we run farm plates on all the "straight job" trucks (log trucks, and dump trucks, yard loaders),tree chipper, slasher trailer, and the pickups, but run commercial plates on the tractor trailers, as they spend 90% of the time on the highway

I see it all the time and I just don't get it.
People taking chances thinking everything will go smoothly every trip.
I can tell you from experience, you never know what or when something will happen.
I have walked off the job several times because a company wanted me to drive a truck that was unsafe. Only to call me the next day to tell me the truck was being repaired and wanted me back.
Sometimes you have to play hard ball and call there bluff. They know they can't force you to drive an unsafe truck.
Repairs are just part of the business, even when it's inconvenient.
Once I got into management, I held onto that way of thinking and even fired some drivers that repeatedly didn't report unsafe equipment and taking chances.
I can't say I've seen it all, but I've seen plenty. I also like to sleep at night.

I see it all the time and I just don't get it.
People taking chances thinking everything will go smoothly every trip.
I can tell you from experience, you never know what or when something will happen.
I have walked off the job several times because a company wanted me to drive a truck that was unsafe. Only to call me the next day to tell me the truck was being repaired and wanted me back.
Sometimes you have to play hard ball and call there bluff. They know they can't force you to drive an unsafe truck.
Repairs are just part of the business, even when it's inconvenient.
Once I got into management, I held onto that way of thinking and even fired some drivers that repeatedly didn't report unsafe equipment and taking chances.
I can't say I've seen it all, but I've seen plenty. I also like to sleep at night.
we do it because those trucks get used at the farm more than anything...just the trucks keep the plates on all the time, and the chipper, and slasher, and a couple other trailers share the same plate, as they only move from site to site, it would be insanely expensive to register every trailer, and farm truck with commercial plates.
we're not a huge company with 100's of trucks, (its only 3 - 4 guys) we have a few trucks and we keep them in top shape because they need to work when we need them, wouldn't be the least bit concerned with dot having a problem with our trucks!

I see what your saying though...theres a lot of guys out there that drive death traps down the road and don't think anything of it...

we do it because those trucks get used at the farm more than anything...just the trucks keep the plates on all the time, and the chipper, and slasher, and a couple other trailers share the same plate, as they only move from site to site, it would be insanely expensive to register every trailer, and farm truck with commercial plates.
we're not a huge company with 100's of trucks, (its only 3 - 4 guys) we have a few trucks and we keep them in top shape because they need to work when we need them, wouldn't be the least bit concerned with dot having a problem with our trucks!

I see what your saying though...theres a lot of guys out there that drive death traps down the road and don't think anything of it...

Just like keeping your equipment in good shape, registration is part of doing business. No tag equals a fine, intentionally altering a plate or intentionally running false plates, equals a much bigger fine and possible jail time.
Pick your poison.

not here. there is a dot hack, about 36 miles from me,,that told a friend, he could write a ticket on a brand new truck!!! and yah, I know him personally, and avoid him...hes WELL known around these parts!!!! tin badge doofus....

Headache racks are nice. Helps keep the wind from hitting the wood. Also thinking about a retractable tarp. I used to not tie logs down. But now I do. I did go get my CDL A to pull the dump trailer. I have been stopped by DOT. Safety inspection! Glad I was empty and had all the paperwork.

They've been nailing quite a few of 'em out this way... keeps 'em ******** all day in the coffee shop and the bar. Mostly the semi grain trucks, when they overfill them and trash a dozen car paint jobs on their way to the co-op.
I do believe the DOT smells Money nowadays regardless of what Plate you Run.
not here. there is a dot hack, about 36 miles from me,,that told a friend, he could write a ticket on a brand new truck!!! and yah, I know him personally, and avoid him...hes WELL known around these parts!!!! tin badge doofus....

I had a Cousin in Kansas City ,Mo. That Ran a Fleet of tow Trucks. One of his contracted truck/driver had a Newer Super Snazzy truck with the chrome and Options. He spent hours taking care of It. One day he came back to the lot with a ticket for not having valve caps on. He (Joe) had bragged to the Dot Officer that he had never had a ticket / there was not a thing he would find wrong / Must have been to sure of himself...He had left the caps off the duals for the convenience of checking air pressure. With my cousin (Butch) how he told the story depended on the conversation but it usually ended up with how the pay back came.. that is another story I don't know that much about.

I do believe the DOT smells Money nowadays regardless of what Plate you Run.

I had a Cousin in Kansas City ,Mo. That Ran a Fleet of tow Trucks. One of his contracted truck/driver had a Newer Super Snazzy truck with the chrome and Options. He spent hours taking care of It. One day he came back to the lot with a ticket for not having valve caps on. He (Joe) had bragged to the Dot Officer that he had never had a ticket / there was not a thing he would find wrong / Must have been to sure of himself...He had left the caps off the duals for the convenience of checking air pressure. With my cousin (Butch) how he told the story depended on the conversation but it usually ended up with how the pay back came.. that is another story I don't know that much about.
Different states have different licensing laws and plates for ag and const.equipment. Radius Miles operated in affect if you qualify for local / if you are a private carrier / farm equipment (not For Hire) has a lot of different regulations / Boom(winch) trucks didn't used to need a plate in Nebraska but did in Iowa etc..

Different states have different licensing laws and plates for ag and const.equipment. Radius Miles operated in affect if you qualify for local / if you are a private carrier / farm equipment (not For Hire) has a lot of different regulations / Boom(winch) trucks didn't used to need a plate in Nebraska but did in Iowa etc..

You are 100% correct. I had to run log books when I did jobs that were more then 200 miles from home base.
We always had to keep our equipment DOT ready and inspected, even though we ran farm tags.

Back