cracked ms880 crankshaft.... really ??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbertim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi just joined to express my sadness and surprise at a cracked crank shaft casting. has anyone encountered this before ? its a 2012 ms880 and although i have milled a bit of timber with it, i still think of it as a very little used saw, ive never abused it im very diligent in my mixes and maintenance, and when it actually cracked (scored piston, hit spark plug and stalled) i was cutting small limbs with 20" bar. i have run a 60" bar on it before but not that often and i fail to see how any kind of use or even abuse could damage a saw in this way. i thought originally it was shaft bearings that were gone (still surprising considering its only 2 years old) but when i stripped it i discovered crack and nearly wept :cry::cry:
i emailed stihl weeks ago with pics and a strong complaint but have received nothing in the way of a response
would love some opinions and or experiences. i imagine i will end up rebuilding at my own cost by the looks of the non response from stihl ?
great site by the way i may be young but i have hundreds of years of knowledge thanks to this site:chainsaw::clap:DSCF2204.JPG DSCF2205.JPG DSCF2207.JPG

no warranty, but surely there is a good case for a serious manufacturer flaw ?? i cant see how a two year old saw with everything else in great condition and in PWO has a cracked here ? anyone think they might own it as their issue not mine ?

I doubt Stihl will do anything with it out of warranty. But a good dealer would be a great help and might pull it off.

Did it ingest something? The piston looks damaged but picture is blurry?

Did a ring locating pin in the piston come out, hang and the pressure from that cause the crank to break.

dont think anything ingested damage to piston is from a fragment that came out of crank.
sunfish when you say a good dealer could pull it off do you mean fix under warranty or just fix ? it might be still under warranty but im not registered owner i bought it off ebay as a brand new saw last year, so can anyone shed some light on how warranty might work ?? i got it in england and live in ireland/ any help greatly appreciated.

An Ebay saw, much less last year means your on your own I should think. Usually a used saw like that means you own it and any later problems that develop. Especially unforseen ones. Lots of luck.

it was brand new in box when i bought it off ebay but a private sale not from dealer :confused:

20" bar with a standard 7 or 8 pin sprocket cutting limbs with an 880? Thats like continually running the saw with no load at WOT. I agree with nmurph looks like some heat got to that piston im guessing it was running too hot/fast/lean or something along those lines.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back