Craftsman 3.4/Poulan 3400 not oiling bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an old Craftsman 3.4 that the thumb oiler works on but doesn't oil when not using it. Are there any common issues I should check to figure out why it won't auto oil when its being run.IMG_20170128_133233.jpg

Classic firewood saw!

Small split or a leak in the pickup tube in tank, blocked impulse hole, return spring is rusted into pieces, then check for a worn out diaphragm.

New ones can be made or bought for $15-20 from Fleabay #530024345.

image.jpeg

The check valves are clear of obstructions, otherwise manual oiler wouldn't work well.
Root out the impulse passage in the block with a pipe cleaner, you can feel the crank
turning on the other side while you have the pipe cleaner all the way in...

Classic firewood saw!

Small split or a leak in the pickup tube in tank, blocked impulse hole, return spring is rusted into pieces, then check for a worn out diaphragm. New ones can be made or bought for $15-20 from Fleabay #530024345.

View attachment 553945

The check valves are clear of obstructions, otherwise manual oiler wouldn't work well.
Thank you for the response sir. I will check those things.

Simple thing first check the bar groove to make sure it is clear.

IMG_20170211_184400.jpg Sorry its been awhile since I got some free time to work on the saw. Does this metal plate need to come off to check anything? Is the diaphragm under there? This saw will be used in place of my 590 while its out getting ported so sooner I get it oiling right sooner I can ship that saw.

Yes Sir, under the plate is the diaphragm, plunger pintle, debris filter and spring. When you pull off the pump body from the saw, the oil line & pickup tube comes out with it. A real bullet proof oiler design if the rubber diaphragm is changed out every few years.

Check for splits & blockages, then test the two check valves with a piece of tubing & your pressure tester (or use your mouth).

Run a wire or pipe cleaner through the impulse hole.

I just replaced a pump that had an inlet obstruction that couldn't be cleared.

Several members on here have spare bodies & some parts if you need anything, as most oiler parts are no longer available.:)

Go to Poulans website to look at the exploded view/parts list, aka an IPL.

Latest posts

Back