Craftsman Bushwacker Info!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow745

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this is a chainsaw forum, and an awesome one at that, but I've been reading several trimmer threads and thought I'd ask too. I was given an awesome trimmer/brushcutter several years ago by my dad. He bought it at Sears back in the early 90's and it's called a Craftsman Bushwacker. At that time it sold for around $350, but he found it for half price because the original buyer put it together wrong and took it back for a refund. It came with a heavy duty harness, a manually operated trimmer head, a brush blade and a saw blade. This thing rocks and is 38cc and must be made of some very solid components. Comparing it to other trimmers I've used I'd estimate its weight to be between 25-30 lbs. It operates at a max of 6,000rpm or so, but has the most incredible torque and low end grunt of any trimmer I've ever used. It utilizes the bicycle handlebars as well. I haven't found out much about other than it was made in Japan for Sears and supposedly has a Robin commercial engine. Other than changing the plug once every year or 2,cleaning the air filter and adding grease/oil to the shaft and gears/bearings in the head it still runs like new. I use Opti2 mix with 89 octane and that's it. I've yet to see any trimmers that can run 2-3 hours weekly for 15 or so years with no parts breakage. Anybody have anymore info on this thing? I'd appreciate it. Later!

That brushcutter is a Robin NB04 it used a 37.7 cc engine and had a float carb that was a bit tempermental. Also because of the float carb setup it had a clamp on the driveshaft so you could angle the gearbox on the bottom. It is a discontinued design and getting very hard to source parts for. We sold them starting in the early 80s till 87' or so.

Scott

Hey, thanks for the info. You hit the nail on the head. I just rounded off the 37.7 to 38...LOL. I kind of like the look and function of the Mikuni carb. You're right about it being a little tempermental though. On hillsides it can load up a bit, but all in all it's a cutting machine that just keeps on going. I'm sure new machines are much lighter, more fuel efficient, operate at higher RPMs, have less vibration, etc. but this thing just cuts like nothing else I've used. With the 10" saw blade I can cut trees up to 4-5 inches with no problem and hardly ever use the brush blade, because with .095 Husky Titanium line on it I can cut through anything short of trees. Another plus is the huge fuel tank compared to what you see on trimmers these days. So it was made by Robin for Sears.......... That answers a few questions. Thanks again. Later!

Last edited:
I had sold them both under the Sachs-Dolmar BC37.7 label as well as the Robin NB04 label. I still have one of the origonal Sachs Dolmar ones my grandfather had from back it the early eighties.

Scott

parts

Can anyone get parts for the saw blade head or is there a similar product out there. I let someone use it several years ago and they didn't return all the parts.

Last edited:
Can you post some pictures of this beast? Always nice to hear about a piece of equipment that has stood up to the test of time.
That was a lot of money to pay for a brushcutter back then but it sounds like it paid off well.

bushwacker

That brushcutter is a Robin NB04 it used a 37.7 cc engine and had a float carb that was a bit tempermental. Also because of the float carb setup it had a clamp on the driveshaft so you could angle the gearbox on the bottom. It is a discontinued design and getting very hard to source parts for. We sold them starting in the early 80s till 87' or so.

Scott

I also have a Bushwacker i recently aquired - this thing is very dangerous - i also tried to research this and found very little about it, it does say Sears Craftsman on it - it's a 32 cc engine though model 358 795180 , i really need a new blade for this and can't find out where to get one, any suggestions ( it's an 8 inch blade - like a circular saw ) this was made in 2001, my email is [email protected] i am going to try and post photos thanks for any help

Last edited:
I also have a Bushwacker i recently aquired - this thing is very dangerous - i also tried to research this and found very little about it, it does say Sears Craftsman on it - it's a 32 cc engine though model 358 795180 , i really need a new blade for this and can't find out where to get one, any suggestions ( it's an 8 inch blade - like a circular saw ) this was made in 2001, ny email is [email protected] i am going to try and post photos thanks for any help

your guard is on backwards and your blade upside down.or maybe its just me.

I have a trimmer just like your brushcutter. The thing was a pain to get to run right until the muffler broke in half. dont know how it happened but it runs better now! little power for such a big motor

your guard is on backwards and your blade upside down.or maybe its just me.

ya i checked everything on this, everything is on correct, this blade spins counterclockwise, it is a monster and will cut a leg off with no problem, i don't have the owner manual or can't find anything out about any kind of Bushwacker like this, seems like everything is a big machine when you search Bushwacker

Craftsman bushwacker 636.795454

Ive been researching a replacment head for this whacker. Yes this is a beast of a machine. A real horror movie prop. It has also cleared countless acres and won my love. I need a new cutter head (transmission) anyone have any ideas or leads???? This thing was bought by my grandfather!! I'd hate to see it end its career now. it is not quite like the pictures but the head looks the same. Help if you can!!

Been given one for repair, Craftsman 636.796234, looks identical to Robin NB04 as stated above. Old school, well made. Good compression at 20 years old. 37.7 cc.
Damn Japanese....

I bought a Sears Brushwacker (Model 636.795456) back around 1984. After using it for a few years it went into storage and I'm just getting it up and running. I've got a few questions for anyone that has one.

Anybody know the proper starting sequence?

She fires and runs but only briefly, maybe 10 - 12 seconds. I've tried cleaning sprays, additives and cleaning the fuel filter but no luck yet. Any ideas?

Anyone know the proper plug gap?

FYI - Sears parts on-line has a good selection for this model.

Yep, it is a monster and I won't bother using it for weeds. It really shines for clearing small trees. I just bought a new blade and I'm looking forward to putting it to work.

Thanks -Rascal011

I have one I bought new in the 80's and it's low hours but it now needs a fuel tank too. I guess I'm second in line for a fuel tank.

It seems no one needs to stand in line for a fuel tank. Sears parts direct has a good selection of parts for this model, to include fuel tanks for $28 bucks.

Got mine running today. It's been in storage since '87. Glad to have it up and running but I've got to work on that idle.

Rascal011

Tried my Brushwacker on weeds today along a neglected ditch line. The 3 foot tall grass and weeds fell with ease to the heavy duty nylon line and 37.7 cc gas engine. While it has been a chore getting it operational since being stored since '87, it now runs quite well, although I think a carb adjustment might be in order.

A new saw blade toppled small trees without difficulty, though you really need to provide some muscle to control the unit. The blade I used did not work quite as well as the original Sears blade, which I still have. I'll try to have it sharpened and see how it does.

I'm going to try a metal blade for cutting heavy weeds and briars along a stream. I suspect it will work O.K.

If you have one and can get it running I think you will enjoy it. The Brushwacker certainly does a days work in short order. Sear's on-line parts service can supply a variety of replacement parts.

BTW, my muffler cover had lost 3 of 4 screws from the cover. I'm securing these with thread locker. The muffler cover does get hot.

Hope this is helpful.

Safety Update Craftsman Brushwacker 37.7 cc

The resurrected Brushwacker is running pretty well. I put in a new E3-32 plug and the machine loves it. Replacement parts from Sears worked fine and the idle seems to be improving with use. The 25 year old trimmer line seemed a bit brittle and has been updated. Performance is great and I'm more than satisfied.

The downside has to do with safety. I filled the fuel tank and fired the unit up. A constant stream of gas propelled through the gas cap vent that was very similar to a child's squirt gun. I could feel gas soaking the right rear of my shirt and quickly called it a day. I have no idea what could be the cause as it had not happened before. FYI for anyone getting an older unit up and running.

Rascal011

Need Solid State Ignition Module for Bushwacker

My father-in-law has one of these Sears bushwackers bought in the mid-80s. The ignition module has failed, but the part is listed as "no longer available" on the Sears parts direct website.

Can anyone provide me with a source and part number for an equivalent replacement?

Thanks in advance.

ignition control module

I cross referenced my craftsman 37.7 cc with the Robin NB04 based on the info in a previous reply in this thread and came up with the following:

M&D Power Equipment
Phone 866-914-1252
Ignition control module is Robin Part #4033
Part is in stock (hallelujah!!) but costs $90.

We have been lost with our brushwacker out of commission, but when our ignition module arrives, we're back on the road! Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back