Craftsman chainsaw fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar969

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay so I obtained a craftsman chainsaw that was only used twice and never used in years. It was new back in 2006 when it was bought and used twice about a tank full of gas used. I know the owner and he no longer needed it so I now am trying to fix it up. The fuel lines needed replace and the local store had the larger of the two fuel lines but the smaller fuel line the only one they had was 1/64 smaller in inner diameter. I do not think is is my problem but here is what is happening. I prime the chainsaw and gas comes out through the air filter and I can not get the thing started? I think that the float is stuck open on the carb? Let me know where I should begin to fix this thing because it still has many uses behind it!!

I'm pretty new to saws, but I have played plenty with bad carbs. I would bet that saw sat with gas in it for that whole time, and made a mess of the inside bits of that carb. Take the it off, order a rebuild kit, and give it a good cleaning. I agree that the smaller ID hose should not be a problem.

I believe that it is a Zama carb I found a new one on Amazon 28 dollars. I think I will go that route. However, I want to make sure the carb is the problem not the fuel line or something else I am missing. Also, they do not have a needle or float setup like a typical carb. As you can tell I am new to the saws!!

Chainsaws haven't used float type carburetors for decades...they are diaphragm carbs, no float required. Most likely, the carb on that saw is gummed up with old, varnished gas and crappy 2 cycle oil, meaning it needs to be cleaned out at a minimum. The diaphragms are probably also stiff and in need of replacement.

You'll need to ID the carb make and model before you can get a rebuild kit. Zama and Walbro both have identification info on their websites, as well as service info on how to rebuild them. Tillotson probably does too, but I haven't looked. Alternatively, just take the saw with you down to the local small engine repair shop and they can ID it for you, along with what kit you need.

I have seen that problem once when the fuel lines are reversed on the carb by accident. Are you positive the supply and primer lines went back on the carb correctly? If it sat that long Ill agree that it will most likely need a carb kit and cleaning as well.

I am positive that they are on correctly. I compared them to my poulan to make sure as well. But just in case is there a diagram somewhere that I can be 100% sure of!!

I am positive that they are on correctly. I compared them to my poulan to make sure as well. But just in case is there a diagram somewhere that I can be 100% sure of!!

The small tube with filter runs from tank to top of carburetor on right side. The large one goes from tank to large fitting on primer, the other small one goes from small fitting on primer to remaining carb fitting.

You can probably get an IPL and part numbers from the site owned by the first name on your saw. Most all Craftsman machines are listed in Parts Direct on that site. Buy a rebuild kit for the carb. If your saw is flooding like you said, check the set of a new metering valve closely. Pull any welch plugs, the jets, clean the heck out of the body and screen and replace the pump and metering diaphragms.

If that doesn't do the job then think about a new carburetor....

I believe that it is a Zama carb I found a new one on Amazon 28 dollars. I think I will go that route. However, I want to make sure the carb is the problem not the fuel line or something else I am missing. Also, they do not have a needle or float setup like a typical carb. As you can tell I am new to the saws!!

If I were going to replace it, I'd replace it with a walbro.

Last edited:
Unless it's one of the old quality-made ones, I'd put any plastic Chinese crapsman in the garbage.

That may apply to you but mopar just wants to learn how to work on saws. I started messing around with poulans and craftsmans when I was 15 and found this site. No need to shoot him down, especially when it could be just a simple fix.

That may apply to you but mopar just wants to learn how to work on saws. I started messing around with poulans and craftsmans when I was 15 and found this site. No need to shoot him down, especially when it could be just a simple fix.

I agree. They're not the greatest saws, but they are cheap and a decent way to learn. Just don't put much money in one because you'll never get it back. Go to the scrapyard for parts.

Thanks all I will take a look at the fuel lines if all is good and still no luck I will take the carb off. I want to get it running because I got it for free. Also, if it works anything like my poulan than I will be thrilled. After I tuned the carb like members on here told me that poulan is cutting through some tough wood. It cut through a 22 - 23 inch diameter tree no issues. Still learning with the chain filing thing but I am getting there!!

Did you replace the primer bulb? The walbro replacements I've used all had the "in" side marked as such, and both of the nipples were the same size. The marking is tiny.

I agree. They're not the greatest saws, but they are cheap and a decent way to learn. Just don't put much money in one because you'll never get it back. Go to the scrapyard for parts.

I tried to sell a couple on feebay last week, no takers. You have to sell 'em pretty cheap. I figured before I'd give them away I'd just cut wood with them...

I tried to sell a couple on feebay last week, no takers. You have to sell 'em pretty cheap. I figured before I'd give them away I'd just cut wood with them...

That's what I keep telling my Craftsman 42 with an 18" bar--"Cut now or you are gone." Then it always starts immediately. The dang thing loves to run and cuts wood like a bandit. I decided to fool it one day and installed a semi-chisel chain that wasn't low profile. It loved that too, as if I were challenging it. The bigger cutters taking out larger bites seemed to mean nothing to it.

Forgive, me Forum, for I do not list this saw in my signature and have no idea why.

Back