Craigslist "deal of the century" slips thru my fingers...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So i have been hunting a Hearthstone Soapstone for the log house we are building. I had a Heritage model in the last house & loved it. Last night i found a Phoenix model an hour away for $450! This is a $2800 stove new & in ad's the pic's it looked pristine. I call last night, get a voice mail & leave a msg. I call again(this morn) & get the seller who say's a guy is on the way to "look" at it. Say's she didn't get a msg last night....hmmm. She had no idea what kind of stove it was, nor it's value, as it was her father who recently passed away.
So, i tell her what the stove is worth & that i would give her more than the asking price. She said if the guy didn't take the stove she would call me back. Yep, he took it.........................ARRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

And to throw salt in the wound, i must have dialed the wrong # last night, because the voice mail i got this morn was totally different.

Did i say ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGG?

:buttkick: {sigh}

SO, right now i am grabbing the 024Super & the 034 & a 24 ton splitter and am gonna take my frustrations out on a very large downed ash tree...............

RD

been there myself with a couple of items on craigslist. i hate to call too late at night or too early in the mornings, so i usually miss out on some good deals.

last one was an 18hp garden tractor, kohler engine and supposedly "ran excellent"....for 50 bucks! called at 8:30am on a sunday...it was sold!!!

yep.....ARGH!!!!

yep,
I almost picked up the same stove for $200 last year.
Guy was remodeling (flipping) this house, and didn't want it.
I told him I could be there in an hour (lunch break at work)

Some lady called him and told him he was a fool for selling it for less than $1500.

He called me back and said he's gonna ebay it.
:( :( :(

Some lady called him and told him he was a fool for selling it for less than $1500.

He called me back and said he's gonna ebay it.
:( :( :([/QUOTE]

That's just not right.

I have a very strong hatred for people that hold items or wait for a guy bla bla bla here is the cash take it NOW!!!

I would have gone and said I was the guy that was buying it then away I go with the stove.

A few years ago I was selling a golf cart for 800 bucks and 3 guys showed up at the same time and they were all wanting it and claiming they called.

bidding starts at 800 and the first guy walks off all mad the second says 850 and then the last guy says 1000 and I give the 2 nd guy 50 bucks for helping load it up .:clap:

guys at garage sales are the worst with there holding stuff!!!

I bought an ipod yesterday and the sales guy said sorry but they have one left and its on hold!!!!! so I say ok and then ask them to hold there stock of lcd tvs and they said no???
so I asked to speak to the manager and after a few minutes of teaching business 101 I have an ipod.

log house

MotorSeven,
Tell us more about your house...real log? D-log? Chinked?

My wife and I are having a log house built in southern Va about 10 miles from the NC line. We're on the east side of the Blue Ridge in the foothills. The house is 1.5 story, 2 bed, 2 bath with a stone chimney up through the center. The flue in the living room will have a propane stove, and the wood stove is in the basement through the other flue. The logs are 6x12 T&G with just a gasket between and lagged together as they were stacked, dovetailed on the corners. There is a full walkout basement with (3) poured walls. 8' wide covered porch all the way around, and green steel roof.

We bought a Quadrafire 4300 Steptop as their efficiency is very high(near 80%) and its non-catalytic with very low emissions. I looked at the larger 5700 but its efficiency was a bit lower and emissions higher. There really wasn't a lot of difference in price.

Excess,

It is a long process/project. I am cutting & skidding my own ERC. I have milled a few square on 3 sides & 5" thick. But, i am not liking the rounded side as it varies too much depending on the size of the cedar tree. So, i think i am going to go with a 5"x6" or a 6"x6" square. I plan on Hemlock for the roof rafters(5"x10"). The house will be 30x40'(ish) on a full basement. If my darling wife will ever decide on a site(on the ridge, on the creek, in the pasture, near the spring...etcetc) then i will get started. It is hard for me to get motivated without the visual aid of location. Besides, there will be alot of excavation & driveway work that i have to do no matter were the house goes.

On a positive note, my wife ran the splitter tody & we scarfed about a cord of ash, leaving another cord or so for another day. It has been down almost 2 years so it is ready to burn........!

wood.jpg

wood1.jpg

RD

Excess,

If my darling wife will ever decide on a site(on the ridge, on the creek, in the pasture, near the spring...etcetc) then i will get started. It is hard for me to get motivated without the visual aid of location. Besides, there will be alot of excavation & driveway work that i have to do no matter were the house goes.

RD

My thought is that on a ridge is better than in a bottom since there is less chance of water damage. A creek would be nice...in the distance. Build on sloped land so as to have one side of the basement exposed to allow walking or driving in and out. Slope keeps the water running off as well.

Our house is just off the top of the ridge, on a slope, and 32'x40'.

Check out Turmin Lumber in Hillsville, Va for logs. I'm told the 6"x12" T&G were $5.25 or so per linear foot. In that they're milled on all sides, I'm not sure that it would be worth trying to mill all of them if I had to do it myself. All of the logs for the exterior walls would be less than $10K. My builder bought the logs by the foot and built to my floorplan, not from a kit.

Between my 100ac & several neighbors that will give me their cedars, i think i have enough without having to pay $ for them....oh but i will pay in time....:)
I have a chainsaw mill & taking off the cedar slabs goes real quick.
Ridge is my pick, because i want to go solar(passive & active). She likes the creek, but it is on the north slope....no sun during the winter months.

RD

Between my 100ac & several neighbors that will give me their cedars, i think i have enough without having to pay $ for them....oh but i will pay in time....:)
I have a chainsaw mill & taking off the cedar slabs goes real quick.
Ridge is my pick, because i want to go solar(passive & active). She likes the creek, but it is on the north slope....no sun during the winter months.

RD

I chose to build on the side with the eastern/southern exposure for sun in the morning and during the winter. We're surrounded by tall poplars, so won't get cooked by the sun in the summer.

I have a chainsaw mill as well, but with 6" tall logs, you're going to need 3000 linear feet minimum. That is a lot of milling.

Update:

Well i just had to look.....yep the guy has the same stove re-listed for..............................................$1600. :jawdrop:
Not too greedy is he?

RD

Update:

Well i just had to look.....yep the guy has the same stove re-listed for..............................................$1600. :jawdrop:
Not too greedy is he?

RD

$1150 would be a tidy profit for flipping a stove. Unfortunately that :censored: got it before you did.

I acquired a Hearthstone II last year for 800. It came with a 8 foot by 4 foot rack and a steamer. Had to load the punk onto my old man's trailer (bear in mind he is over 70, so I took the brunt of the weight. It has been burning like a champ since installation.

In regards to how so chp.. the gentlman got a gas model because he has Musc Dist, and was unable to keep up with the wood cutting process.

"$1150 would be a tidy profit for flipping a stove. Unfortunately that got it before you did"

I can't really beef someone for trying to make a buck, but daayum!

RD

Back