crane newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reg! that has the potential to be a half whack.... is it?

and its marquis tree. lol.

not sure i'd want all these people trying to learn from us though because everyone around here is doing a fine job of doing it there own way and that is working out fantastic for us..... you know what i'm say'n, buddy?

stay safe reg. a pro in the tree and on the net as well.

Marquis Tree, thats what I meant. Not been the best day.

I know exactly what you mean, but there's no harm in asking right. Cheers

Sry to hijack the thread more but a question to some other climbers who do crane work regularly, what friction hitch and cord/climb line combo you use for crane work. And you always keep your rope bag hanging from you? And what kinda bad you using.

I use a distil tied with 8mm bee-line on bluemoon rope with a micro pulley. Seems after a cpl up and downs pulling it through it seems to get tighter. Senior climber on our crew runs a split tail blakes no pulley when doing crane removals, but he doesnt climb to many/if any picks.

Just wondering what you guys are using in the tree and since most of you are already on this thread figured it be a good spot for it.

200ft of hi-vis safety orange line and distel using 10mm beeline and a medium size rope bag. 2 biners and a large dogsnap for the hardware. if you taking your sweet time the prussic will stay supple but once you start heating it up then the knot'll start getting tight. plus you already using a skinny cord so that thing may as well be a shoelace for ya once you do a couple rap's.

wear some gloves with some palm and you can race to your cut spot and not worry about the heat.

i'd recommend going bigger on the prussic cord.

edit: believe it or not if ya keep a loose knot it won't want to bind up on you. grab the distal knot top and bottom between the fingers of both hands and rotate away from the way you turn on the rope tying your knot whenever you get the chance. that way you can move more freely.

Last edited:
200ft of hi-vis safety orange line and distel using 10mm beeline and a medium size rope bag. 2 biners and a large dogsnap for the hardware. if you taking your sweet time the prussic will stay supple but once you start heating it up then the knot'll start getting tight. plus you already using a skinny cord so that thing may as well be a shoelace for ya once you do a couple rap's.

wear some gloves with some palm and you can race to your cut spot and not worry about the heat.

i'd recommend going bigger on the prussic cord.

edit: believe it or not if ya keep a loose knot it won't want to bind up on you. grab the distal knot top and bottom between the fingers of both hands and rotate away from the way you turn on the rope tying your knot whenever you get the chance. that way you can move more freely.

i do loosen it from time to time i go with the skinny beeline since im not using a half inch rope, i used 3/8th cord b4 i switch to the bluemoon/poision ivy rope, ill half to pick up some 10mm beeline see how it holds

Marquis Tree, thats what I meant. Not been the best day.

I know exactly what you mean, but there's no harm in asking right. Cheers

Reg, P.M me when you are ready to cut and run from those hillbillys in B.C. Tree vet is still searching for his jaw when he found out what I make just a hour or so from ya down here. If you can work in the states seattle is the mecca for arborists. Stay safe and stay positive, many here are very appreciative of your time on this site.

Reg, P.M me when you are ready to cut and run from those hillbillys in B.C. Tree vet is still searching for his jaw when he found out what I make just a hour or so from ya down here. If you can work in the states seattle is the mecca for arborists. Stay safe and stay positive, many here are very appreciative of your time on this site.

I used to work for smith brothers in lake forest park back in 1988 and 89. they still around?

I'll pm you in a minute.

Seems like lots of teachin goin round here for a non teachin guy like yourself Reggo. Just sayin'.

Hey, maybe you can tell Hole in the Wood to stop pm'in me all sorts of abusive rhetoric as he thinks you are, in his words, "tender" and gonna run away crying off the playground like a little schoolgirl leavin him heartbroken and bereft. See he couldn't contain himself and asked you out on a date lol.

Pls. resume this highly technical discussion on crane work lol. Sorry for the interruption.

Seems like lots of teachin goin round here for a non teachin guy like yourself Reggo. Just sayin'.

Hey, maybe you can tell Hole in the Wood to stop pm'in me all sorts of abusive rhetoric as he thinks you are, in his words, "tender" and gonna run away crying off the playground like a little schoolgirl leavin him heartbroken and bereft. See he couldn't contain himself and asked you out on a date lol.

Pls. resume this highly technical discussion on crane work lol. Sorry for the interruption.

And Good Morning to you too Dave.

Didn't you leave the forum in anger just a couple of weeks ago? But now you're back....nothing wrong with having a change of heart and it seems whatever was at the root of that conflict was all forgiven. When I asked you to ease up earlier it was only out of concern, because I fear that you were not quite ready to come return.

My advice to you is to send the link of this thread to someone you trust and let them pass an honest opinion of your contributions here....cause from the guy I knew of old, you're not making much sense mate. Like I've said in previous years, if anyone has a serious beef with me that they'd like to express in person, or just to put their feet up for a while at TCi expo next month....look for the Stein USA booth, we are a friendly bunch. thanks again.

Last edited:

Didn't you leave the forum in anger just a couple of weeks ago? But now you're back....nothing wrong with having a change of heart and it seems whatever was at the root of that conflict was all forgiven. When I asked you to ease up earlier it was only out of concern, because I fear that you werre not quite ready to come return.

My advice to you is to send the link of this thread to someone you trust and let them pass an honest opinion of your contributions here....cause from the guy I knew from old, you're not making much sense mate. Like I've said in previous years, if anyone has a serious beef with me that they'd like to express in person, or just to put their feet up for a while at TCi expo next month....look for the Stein USA booth, we are a friendly bunch. thanks again.

Reg I hope you laugh at tv's posts like I do, I find his negativity and delusions of grandeur great comedy. Last time he went thru the threads being an A hole he blamed it on the heat. I don't buy it something is eating away at him. Who knows, money, health, relationship, old age...or it could just he is struggling with his own insignificance. I know a few guys in our area that "used to be the only show in town" they tell stories just like tv. I am sure I must be tough to go from that to having to watch younger guys aggressively grow ...
or dave could just be a bored jerk that gets his jollies by picking internet fights for no reason, laughing while he is typing bs

Didn't you leave the forum in anger just a couple of weeks ago? But now you're back....nothing wrong with having a change of heart and it seems whatever was at the root of that conflict was all forgiven. When I asked you to ease up earlier it was only out of concern, because I fear that you were not quite ready to come return.

My advice to you is to send the link of this thread to someone you trust and let them pass an honest opinion of your contributions here....cause from the guy I knew of old, you're not making much sense mate. Like I've said in previous years, if anyone has a serious beef with me that they'd like to express in person, or just to put their feet up for a while at TCi expo next month....look for the Stein USA booth, we are a friendly bunch. thanks again.

Hmmmm, print out this thread, take it to a psychologist, and get some treatment? Very sound prescription....I will take it under advisement. Another possibility in keeping my sharp tongue in check might be to sell widgets to the members of the forum and then I would have to behave in order to get more sales on widgets. I'm all set now with a plan....even 2 plans. :-}

In keeping with this thread in theme if not subject, thought I might submit a little comic interlude for your approval (Reggo) and thought provocation. Nothing personal intended ofcourse. Here it is humbly embedded.....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4101/saturday-night-live-cooking-with-the-anal-rententive-chef

Last edited:
put their feet up for a while at TCi expo next month....look for the Stein USA booth, we are a friendly bunch. thanks again.

Reg buddy, you know that I'll be spending a lot of time with you at the EXPO chatting about not only trees but things that really matter like family and life.

Looking forward to seeing you again my friend.

-Chris

....look for the Stein USA booth, we are a friendly bunch. thanks again.

what are the chances of a crane rope bag being there?

hey reg, you climbing (off crane or spike) with a full wrap yet (seeing how the west coast is full wrap territory after all)? or do you anyway? just curious.

don't know why i have such a hard on for the full wrap but if they made one for the 200t i'd put one on that little rippah as well.

Reg buddy, you know that I'll be spending a lot of time with you at the EXPO chatting about not only trees but things that really matter like family and life.

Looking forward to seeing you again my friend.

-Chris

63 posts in 8 years, chris? whats up with that, you only hang here when reg is around? lol.

you coming back down this way anytime soon?

Hmmmm, print out this thread, take it to a psychologist, and get some treatment? Very sound prescription....I will take it under advisement. Another possibility in keeping my sharp tongue in check might be to sell widgets to the members of the forum and then I would have to behave in order to get more sales on widgets. I'm all set now with a plan....even 2 plans. :-}

In keeping with this thread in theme if not subject, thought I might submit a little comic interlude for your approval (Reggo) and thought provocation. Nothing personal intended ofcourse. Here it is humbly embedded.....

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Cooking with the Anal Rententive Chef

I cant view that video here in Canada Dave....so it is indeed in-keeping with your other posts in not provocing much of anything.

All I have done in this thread is give you information....including the opportunity to meet in person as I'm really not sure what else will satisfy you....as it seems nothing else I have said on the forum has.

For the record, Stein USA are sponsors of arboristsite so if I did want to plug the products (which I haven't) I wouldn't be breaking the rules.
I'm sure Shaw Tree Surgeons has been metioned many times also over the years, if not more, and its not really frowned upon either. People dont just give you their money because they percieve you to be a nice guy on the net. Next?

I'll be sure to come by as a few of us from Ontario will be heading down. I don't have any beefs with you as stated earlier. Glad your having fun out in BC! I will come by and chat with you for sure mate!

Personally i'm glad you came slinkin back here, you crack me up. But you better believe Ill pm ya to shut up ya crazy coot. Reg, brings some of the most insightful info to this site and has more then his fair share of tree cred. Some guys though, aren't looking or willing to talk **** everytime they post. Please learn to recognize who they are before you run off all the legit climbers here.
As far as crane advice for a newbie, none better then I. Did my first 2 crane removals last week. Both co's had over 15 years experience. They would lower me right to the choke point and signal me down to the cut point. Most of the time I was on the same page but at times I was not. Couldn't imagine doing a job with a inexperienced operator, worth every penny to hire someone on untill you got a handfull of jobs under your belt.

Couldn't imagine doing a job with a inexperienced operator, worth every penny to hire someone on untill you got a handfull of jobs under your belt.

the last company i was at. they were starting to let one of the longer tenured employee run the crane. now keep in mind that i had watched this kid work for like almost 2 yrs and damn was i always on my toes if he was doing anything around me. i wouldn't say frightening would be the right word but wreckless could be.

anyway once they handed him the keys to the crane i handed the crane climbing duties of to a rookie-ish to the crane game climber. in those 2 weeks until my notice was up i saw some funny ass ****. the best was when i totally recommended against what they wanted to pick from an ash tree and then watched as the climber pinched his saw and the op literally popped the pick about 5ft off the stem and then smashed back onto the log as an oblivious climber looked around......

lol.

that crane is still going out too. thing is beat. saw it the other day when we crossed paths out during the day and i stopped to show off the new 75ft bucket i was cruising in.

again, lol.

what are the chances of a crane rope bag being there?

hey reg, you climbing (off crane or spike) with a full wrap yet (seeing how the west coast is full wrap territory after all)? or do you anyway? just curious.

don't know why i have such a hard on for the full wrap but if they made one for the 200t i'd put one on that little rippah as well.

There's every chance Justin, and I wont go back on what was agreed previously.

Lots of full wraps around here, but Ive yet indulge. I can see where it might help cutting a humboldt, or even a little more accuracy on a horizontal. Although I would assume its going to hinder you making a cut really low to the ground? Is there more?

Look forward to meeting you Deevo, and anyone else for that matter.

Back