crane newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
‘Point of’ Dave? perhaps ‘motive’ would have been a more accurate description on what I meant. Why would you drag my name up in a thread that I had nothing prior to do with and wrongly suggest that I laid claim to some craning technique, which ironically has nothing to do with what the thread was about. Please show me where I ever made any such claim?

Damn Reg, maybe a little over reaction to just a couple of sentences, no? Anyway I apologize for assuming you assumed you invented the multi crane pick hook up and chastising you about it. As for bringing your name up on a thread about craning techniques on a craning thread....well.....duh. Hey, if you don't want anyone to say your name or talk about you (esp anything negative since you think you are perfect) then maybe a forum is not the place for you since you are mainly on here for advertising your products I assume and trying out your video productions.

Furthermore, you continually trying to cast doubt about the videos that I have on the net, saying this and that is easy and footage favourably edited etc....And no matter how many times now that I’ve explained to you that I’m only trying to cram in as much as I can of what really counts, which is widely accepted by most, you instead insinuate that I have something to hide....like your earlier statement that you’ve never seen me move around the tree in a video....the whole time reminding me at every opportunity how you’ve been there and done it time over.....regardless of the fact that I never disputed or even asked you the question. What is the ‘motive’ behind all this?

Not suggesting you "have anything to hide" because you are trying to "cram into the vids what YOU THINK are the very most important aspects of crane picks" but rather pointing out that maybe you are wrong and you are absolutely mis representing a typical job which in reality does not look anything like how you portray it to the novice or learner but more often rather like the vid I showed with slow calculated movement such as picks in the back yard over a house or the climber setting chokes by actually CLIMBING to spot from spot a to spot b. You are the king of the vids and I am here to say....the vids you show are fiction without some slow parts which is the reality without all the other parts that are laying on the floor of your editing room. You may obviously continue to object to my opinion of your vids but I will continue to object to the portrayall of crane picks although as I said, I like your vids along with the masses.

And while we’re on the subject of videos Dave, one might ask why you would make a video of half a dozen little ash logs repeatedly just hanging in open space, just the other day? Don’t answer that....I’d sooner go on believing that you really do have quite the sense of humour after all!

Picks moving UNDER an and over delicate targets. You never done a slow pick? You are a liar if you say you haven't. We will never see it on one of your fictional vids tho will we? Never had a learning op? He won't make the film clips will he?

About 10 years ago I figured I’d better get some theoretical quals to complement the practical skills. The ISA does have a chapter in the UK and Ireland but carries very little weight. You can still buy the study guide and take the exam, same as in the US and elsewhere....but having researched it more, past exam papers included, decided that I could commit to something with a little more depth. I instead opted for the RFS cert Arb which demanded at least a day a week school attendance, several practical assessments i.e. planting, pruning, spraying, maintenance, climbing, chainsaws, first aid etc, at additional costs....followed by the written exam at the end of the year. I obviously had a huge advantage in the practical stuff and managed to pass the written exam also....but the whole thing ran into thousands over that period. Worth it though on my part.

Everybody that has not taken the ISA exam assumes that you just read the guide and go to the test station and collect your certification. It is a pretty comprehensive test but the genius in it is the CEU's. I passed the test 20 years ago and have had to collect 210 credit hours over those 3 year increments to STAY certed. How many credit hours have you had to sit for to retain your obscure certification from over there. No one is going to know anything about this cert. here or give a schit so maybe it would be advantageous to your "career" to take the test sometime. No? Unless it is your intention to just end tree's lives for the rest of your years.

This brings me to a question....Why have you moved your subcontracting business to 4 countries in your 20 years of tree service life? Certainly none of my business but I am just curious. Obviously nothing you were required to do in any way and it is extremely stressful from my experience with it.
I
went on to study for the AA Technicians cert which is more consultancy level, and which I admittedly found very tough, not being an academic. But I learned lots, had a great teacher Mr Dave Dowson at Treelife, and did manage to scrape through and pass the written exam.

Seems like you enjoyed learning. Have you stopped now? The ISA is beginning to have tangental certs. I am studying right now for a Hazard Tree Assessor Certification test they started recently I am going to take soon. With that and any certs comes new requirements for continuing Education Units (CEU's). With that comes huge opportunity for additional income from assessing high risk trees and making contacts that puts your service on jobs as a result of those contacts.

However, I failed the second part, the Management Exercises. Woodland and Construction Site surveys....I just wasn’t fast or practiced enough with the pen. I had the knowledge but clearly not the exam technique to finish in time. My Tree and P&D knowledge held firm under scrutiny, but I just wasn’t up to speed in completing the other stuff. I could still take that other test with the view to being better prepared, but there’s obviously been lots of water under the bridge since then so that opportunity is pretty much dead and buried. Haven’t thought about all that in ages

I really do not see how anyone can make a living anymore by just culling trees. There are so many guys out there doing it and the equipment has evolved in my 40 plus year career and your 20 year career so much that it is not very difficult or dangerous anymore in most situations so that supply and demand will dictate it will become less and less profitable. I have wondered over the maybe 5 years (not losing any sleep over it) of knowing you on forums (wouldn't recognize you if we passed on the sidewalk) how someone as clearly intelligent as yourself can ignore and dismiss the challenging and heartfelt occupation of tree CARE when it is sitting right on the end of your nose. Anway, this post answers my question but I am surprised that you would seemingly give up on it (give up on anything for that matter) and not "think about it for ages" when it is a huge source of income for you and your family. Cause, to be honest, those Stein products, while they are high quality I am sure, seem to all be redundant to most extents and new products are just flying out there as I type this from dozens and dozens of companies. Most are re inventing the wheel anymore.

didn't say I invented this stuff....it's natural evolution. It ain't rocket science. But when I started in Jersey in 71, nobody else was doing craners and we didn't have these forums to anal retentively disect every butt scratch on every pick...so I invented everything I did for first 10 years. All worked too. Climbing off the hook to top and setting the choker and rapelling down and making the cut. Setting a eyed lanyard on the hood instead of chokers and rbowine tieing them in. Multi tie ins that Reg thinks he invented as "spider legs" lol, did that in 1971. Moved to Cinci in 81 and nobody was doing any craners here either and I started subbing and renting constantly sometimes month rentals on 23 ton 90 footers. Nobody else around doing crane work cept me. Then all of a sudden...everybody is doing it and guys like Justine think they invented everything lhas to do with crane work......what a hoot. He started doing crane work just 3 or 4 years ago....what a marooon.

Treevet was wondering if you remember the company you worked for when you where starting out in Jersey in 71. I did some tree work back then in Jersey. Just wondering if we worked for the same company?

Treevet was wondering if you remember the company you worked for when you where starting out in Jersey in 71. I did some tree work back then in Jersey. Just wondering if we worked for the same company?

Started with a few "work outta the house and park on street" co.s. when I got outta the Marines and back from VNam. Worked for 2 Bartlett yards...:piscattaway and Flemington (still got family there), Tamke, and my favorite was Shearer Penn outta Trenton working mostly in Princeton.

Just emailed back in forth with a guy I recognized his name from Shearer named Irish (he put up an ad for help on this forum) but he was just a beginner then, while I was a full time climber for them for a year while I was waiting for my license revocation to end and start my own co.

Where'd you live?

Started with a few "work outta the house and park on street" co.s. when I got outta the Marines and back from VNam. Worked for 2 Bartlett yards...:piscattaway and Flemington (still got family there), Tamke, and my favorite was Shearer Penn outta Trenton working mostly in Princeton.

Just emailed back in forth with a guy I recognized his name from Shearer named Irish (he put up an ad for help on this forum) but he was just a beginner then, while I was a full time climber for them for a year while I was waiting for my license revocation to end and start my own co.

Where'd you live?

Ya know shearer Penn is still around I worked with them at the college of New Jersey a few years back, they were clearing trees so we could set up our crane I mean they are a real class act , nice guys nice machines and they don't #### around half of the tree never even touches the ground with them they had about 5 log trucks lined up at all times catching wood and taking it over there holding yard somewhere ...

Damn Reg, maybe a little over reaction to just a couple of sentences, no? Anyway I apologize for assuming you assumed you invented the multi crane pick hook up and chastising you about it. As for bringing your name up on a thread about craning techniques on a craning thread....well.....duh. Hey, if you don't want anyone to say your name or talk about you (esp anything negative since you think you are perfect) then maybe a forum is not the place for you since you are mainly on here for advertising your products I assume and trying out your video productions.

Not suggesting you "have anything to hide" because you are trying to "cram into the vids what YOU THINK are the very most important aspects of crane picks" but rather pointing out that maybe you are wrong and you are absolutely mis representing a typical job which in reality does not look anything like how you portray it to the novice or learner but more often rather like the vid I showed with slow calculated movement such as picks in the back yard over a house or the climber setting chokes by actually CLIMBING to spot from spot a to spot b. You are the king of the vids and I am here to say....the vids you show are fiction without some slow parts which is the reality without all the other parts that are laying on the floor of your editing room. You may obviously continue to object to my opinion of your vids but I will continue to object to the portrayall of crane picks although as I said, I like your vids along with the masses.

Picks moving UNDER an and over delicate targets. You never done a slow pick? You are a liar if you say you haven't. We will never see it on one of your fictional vids tho will we? Never had a learning op? He won't make the film clips will he?

Everybody that has not taken the ISA exam assumes that you just read the guide and go to the test station and collect your certification. It is a pretty comprehensive test but the genius in it is the CEU's. I passed the test 20 years ago and have had to collect 210 credit hours over those 3 year increments to STAY certed. How many credit hours have you had to sit for to retain your obscure certification from over there. No one is going to know anything about this cert. here or give a schit so maybe it would be advantageous to your "career" to take the test sometime. No? Unless it is your intention to just end tree's lives for the rest of your years.

This brings me to a question....Why have you moved your subcontracting business to 4 countries in your 20 years of tree service life? Certainly none of my business but I am just curious. Obviously nothing you were required to do in any way and it is extremely stressful from my experience with it.
I

Seems like you enjoyed learning. Have you stopped now? The ISA is beginning to have tangental certs. I am studying right now for a Hazard Tree Assessor Certification test they started recently I am going to take soon. With that and any certs comes new requirements for continuing Education Units (CEU's). With that comes huge opportunity for additional income from assessing high risk trees and making contacts that puts your service on jobs as a result of those contacts.

I really do not see how anyone can make a living anymore by just culling trees. There are so many guys out there doing it and the equipment has evolved in my 40 plus year career and your 20 year career so much that it is not very difficult or dangerous anymore in most situations so that supply and demand will dictate it will become less and less profitable. I have wondered over the maybe 5 years (not losing any sleep over it) of knowing you on forums (wouldn't recognize you if we passed on the sidewalk) how someone as clearly intelligent as yourself can ignore and dismiss the challenging and heartfelt occupation of tree CARE when it is sitting right on the end of your nose. Anway, this post answers my question but I am surprised that you would seemingly give up on it (give up on anything for that matter) and not "think about it for ages" when it is a huge source of income for you and your family. Cause, to be honest, those Stein products, while they are high quality I am sure, seem to all be redundant to most extents and new products are just flying out there as I type this from dozens and dozens of companies. Most are re inventing the wheel anymore.

Your first paragraph had promise Dave, but then ya ruined it by suggesting I think I am perfect. What a silly thing to say mate.
I get young climbers come up to me at the show as say that the videos they’ve seen of mine and many others on the net, have really inspired them to chase the job....well between them and you criticising, its not even a close run thing Dave....I won’t be changing the script any time soon.
What’s more, I am not a teacher Dave, and don’t want the responsibility of how I do in fact get from a to b, nor the calculated risks or thought processes involved. Most people in the know, don’t need to see nor question that stuff because they’re regularly doing it themselves anyway, and are just happy to sit back and relate to 10 easy minutes of someone else doing the work for a change....except for you of course. But in regards to the up-and-comers, well that’s their journey and you and I both know there’s no short-cuts in becoming accomplished. So I keep them slick and fast....so in a sense I am hiding stuff, but for the right reasons believe it or not. If its not broken Dave, dont fix it.

Re: your vid....my criticism was that I think most people would have got it after that first log....and in absence of any cutting, climbing from a-b or slinging, repeating the exact scene several times seemed pretty strange to me. Especially after all the criticisms you’ve just aimed in my direction.

The RFS cert that I took 10 years back was the best option for me at the time. The ISA cert is not a nationally recognised qualification so didn’t count for $hit....so it wasn’t even an option. I have no regrets at all in that respect.

22 years actually Dave, I started at 17.
Why do I move around? Variety, different challenges, keeps me on my toes, keeps me decisive. With so much varied exposure I feel like I have a huge advantage over most climbers. To maintain a career as a contract climber Dave there can be no loss of discipline or hunger. As well as, I like to live a full life for as long as I am able....if i get caught out along the way then I have no one else to blame at least.

I didn’t give up on learning....I just jumped ships so to speak, I couldn’t continue with both. The Stein opportunity has been a God-send for us, like a second wage. Possibly the difference between putting my little daughter into some form of day-care or as is staying with Juliet through hear first few years. Helped me put a few Ghosts to bed as well as open up plenty more opportunities which I won’t harp on about.

I’ve had countless opportunities to start up my own treecare-buisness....but the lifestyle it brings has never appealed to me. As is I’m pretty content and have plenty of time for my family. Things might change who knows, I keep an open mind.

I agree that there are lots of guys culling tree’s and lots of equipment to possibly make the job safer and easier. But that argument falls down where there are individuals in control who are not and never will be on the same level. From sales through planning, decision making and actual implementation, not everyone will succeed and further stick around. Your 40 years and still going is surely testament to that. When all else is quantifiable Dave we are still individuals, what we make of our opportunities will always be unique to us.

Your first paragraph had promise Dave, but then ya ruined it by suggesting I think I am perfect. What a silly thing to say mate.
I get young climbers come up to me at the show as say that the videos they’ve seen of mine and many others on the net, have really inspired them to chase the job....well between them and you criticising, its not even a close run thing Dave....I won’t be changing the script any time soon.
What’s more, I am not a teacher Dave, and don’t want the responsibility of how I do in fact get from a to b, nor the calculated risks or thought processes involved. Most people in the know, don’t need to see nor question that stuff because they’re regularly doing it themselves anyway, and are just happy to sit back and relate to 10 easy minutes of someone else doing the work for a change....except for you of course. But in regards to the up-and-comers, well that’s their journey and you and I both know there’s no short-cuts in becoming accomplished. So I keep them slick and fast....so in a sense I am hiding stuff, but for the right reasons believe it or not. If its not broken Dave, dont fix it.

Re: your vid....my criticism was that I think most people would have got it after that first log....and in absence of any cutting, climbing from a-b or slinging, repeating the exact scene several times seemed pretty strange to me. Especially after all the criticisms you’ve just aimed in my direction.

The RFS cert that I took 10 years back was the best option for me at the time. The ISA cert is not a nationally recognised qualification so didn’t count for $hit....so it wasn’t even an option. I have no regrets at all in that respect.

22 years actually Dave, I started at 17.
Why do I move around? Variety, different challenges, keeps me on my toes, keeps me decisive. With so much varied exposure I feel like I have a huge advantage over most climbers. To maintain a career as a contract climber Dave there can be no loss of discipline or hunger. As well as, I like to live a full life for as long as I am able....if i get caught out along the way then I have no one else to blame at least.

I didn’t give up on learning....I just jumped ships so to speak, I couldn’t continue with both. The Stein opportunity has been a God-send for us, like a second wage. Possibly the difference between putting my little daughter into some form of day-care or as is staying with Juliet through hear first few years. Helped me put a few Ghosts to bed as well as open up plenty more opportunities which I won’t harp on about.

I’ve had countless opportunities to start up my own treecare-buisness....but the lifestyle it brings has never appealed to me. As is I’m pretty content and have plenty of time for my family. Things might change who knows, I keep an open mind.

I agree that there are lots of guys culling tree’s and lots of equipment to possibly make the job safer and easier. But that argument falls down where there are individuals in control who are not and never will be on the same level. From sales through planning, decision making and actual implementation, not everyone will succeed and further stick around. Your 40 years and still going is surely testament to that. When all else is quantifiable Dave we are still individuals, what we make of our opportunities will always be unique to us.

Well put Reg, I for one love watching all your videos and have learned a lot of techniques from them. Your probably the best climber I have seen working in conjunction with cranes. Yourself and Oldirty are very knowledgeable and when you talk crane stuff I think a lot of us on here tune in and listen to what you guys say and do. Not sure why anyone would ever criticize you for anything. Your always on your game and have it going on!
Had to throw that out there! keep up the great work and posting videos!
Devon

Last edited:
Well put Reg, I for one love watching all your videos and have learned a lot of techniques from them. Your probably the best climber I have seen working in conjunction with cranes. Yourself and Oldirty are very knowledgeable and when you talk crane stuff I think a lot of us on here tune in and listen to what you guys say and do. Not sure why anyone would ever criticize you for anything. Your always on your game and have it going on!
Had to throw that out there! keep up the great work and posting videos!
Devon

I appreciate your vids too Reg. What you put into them and what you leave out. Having done a few myself, I can relate to the need to fit some action into 10 minutes (thats all the time Youtube will give you, though it must be more now?) and not bore the crowd. After all, it is a Youtube vid and not an educational series requiring the teaching aspect.

For what it's worth Reg I appreciate your attitude the most. You don't get into pissing matches on the net (though you are targeted) and keep the hunger for your profession though you could easily step into a less "physical" role if you know what I mean.
Your "class" is not lost on me and I appreciate seeing someone walk the line as you do.

Like said by some....different strokes for different blokes. I have a much more discerning taste I suppose than some on here and maybe Reg himself in regards to his video content. To me it is boring seeing time and again ...the cut....the detachment...the sailing away.

Would like to see the guy climb. I suppose he is good. He says he is good. Everyone assumes he is good. Well then....let's see it. I wanna see a good climber work a crane job...not the mundane sequence I described above. He can say "look at your vid". I am not the video guy. I am a two man op and don't have a camera man.

Plus he is the forum poster boy/pretty boy. Nobody can ruffle his feathers without being bad guy. I like being the bad boy sometimes and....

Want to see him climb thru a crane job to see what he's got.

He shows a vid of dropping some tall skinny excurrent Christmas trees and taking some tops off others. I suggest that is easy work. It ruffles his feathers. I guess he spikes up a tall skinny tree and tops them and drops them just better than anyone else? Slam or top a few 10 to 20 foot dia redwoods and/or take the top out of em and you are taking a little step outta the ordinary.

Til then....wake me up when they are over. You put the vids up...enter free speech...you get my comments whether you like them or not.

I appreciate your vids too Reg. What you put into them and what you leave out. Having done a few myself, I can relate to the need to fit some action into 10 minutes (thats all the time Youtube will give you, though it must be more now?) and not bore the crowd. After all, it is a Youtube vid and not an educational series requiring the teaching aspect.

For what it's worth Reg I appreciate your attitude the most. You don't get into pissing matches on the net (though you are targeted) and keep the hunger for your profession though you could easily step into a less "physical" role if you know what I mean.
Your "class" is not lost on me and I appreciate seeing someone walk the line as you do.

Nails for president! :)

Like said by some....different strokes for different blokes. I have a much more discerning taste I suppose than some on here and maybe Reg himself in regards to his video content. To me it is boring seeing time and again ...the cut....the detachment...the sailing away.

Would like to see the guy climb. I suppose he is good. He says he is good. Everyone assumes he is good. Well then....let's see it. I wanna see a good climber work a crane job...not the mundane sequence I described above. He can say "look at your vid". I am not the video guy. I am a two man op and don't have a camera man.

Plus he is the forum poster boy/pretty boy. Nobody can ruffle his feathers without being bad guy. I like being the bad boy sometimes and....

Want to see him climb thru a crane job to see what he's got.

He shows a vid of dropping some tall skinny excurrent Christmas trees and taking some tops off others. I suggest that is easy work. It ruffles his feathers. I guess he spikes up a tall skinny tree and tops them and drops them just better than anyone else? Slam or top a few 10 to 20 foot dia redwoods and/or take the top out of em and you are taking a little step outta the ordinary.

Til then....wake me up when they are over. You put the vids up...enter free speech...you get my comments whether you like them or not.

Fear not Dave, you have not ruffled my feathers, nor have you ever. That is the privilege of but one person in my life who it seems has a God given ability to do so when the mood takes her....but I surely retain the right to respond as best and as truthfully as I can to all this stuff, no?

On the contrary I’ve tried to been patient and non-confrontational in answering your various questions, assumptions and criticisms about my work, videos, career and lifestyle choices. Even your latest ridiculously unfounded branding of me as a pretty poster-boy is really just water off a ducks back....even if it does appear a little mean spirited on your part. Further-still, apparently, now I should go out and murder some old growth redwoods to prove my worth. Well I’ve never actually lived in California so that opportunity would be unlikely to present itself as of yet....I say ‘yet’ for obvious reasons....but you can’t hold that against me surely!

While we’re on the subject, you know Dave it is not inconceivable to suggest that I’d already tackled larger and more dangerous trees as a mere 20 year old climber working in Australia than what you have in your whole 38 years working in Cinci and Jersey. Guess we’ll never know for sure but stranger things have happened. Just sayin.

Just because someone else’s path and preferences don’t mirror that of your own doesn’t make it wrong. If you're happy with the way your life has turned out then fine....but surely that’s not justification for trying to poke holes in my set of circumstances.

Back to the videos, if they’re so boring to you, why on earth have you continued to watch all 60 of them? Logic would suggest that a person with such apparent low regard for the content would have given up at number 20 at the very latest!

I still respect you Dave, and I like you because you remind me of someone. But....

And that's why you put up with me

and that's why you love me

and that's why you want to be just like me.

After what’s been said here I definitely do not want to be like you.....and may God strike me down if the day ever comes that I resemble your conduct throughout the latter part of this thread. I really hope that you don’t call upon me to further partake for that matter. Thanks

Fear not Dave, you have not ruffled my feathers, nor have you ever. That is the privilege of but one person in my life who it seems has a God given ability to do so when the mood takes her....but I surely retain the right to respond as best and as truthfully as I can to all this stuff, no?

On the contrary I’ve tried to been patient and non-confrontational in answering your various questions, assumptions and criticisms about my work, videos, career and lifestyle choices. Even your latest ridiculously unfounded branding of me as a pretty poster-boy is really just water off a ducks back....even if it does appear a little mean spirited on your part. Further-still, apparently, now I should go out and murder some old growth redwoods to prove my worth. Well I’ve never actually lived in California so that opportunity would be unlikely to present itself as of yet....I say ‘yet’ for obvious reasons....but you can’t hold that against me surely!

While we’re on the subject, you know Dave it is not inconceivable to suggest that I’d already tackled larger and more dangerous trees as a mere 20 year old climber working in Australia than what you have in your whole 38 years working in Cinci and Jersey. Guess we’ll never know for sure but stranger things have happened. Just sayin.

Just because someone else’s path and preferences don’t mirror that of your own doesn’t make it wrong. If you're happy with the way your life has turned out then fine....but surely that’s not justification for trying to poke holes in my set of circumstances.

Back to the videos, if they’re so boring to you, why on earth have you continued to watch all 60 of them? Logic would suggest that a person with such apparent low regard for the content would have given up at number 20 at the very latest!

I still respect you Dave, and I like you because you remind me of someone. But....

After what’s been said here I definitely do not want to be like you.....and may God strike me down if the day ever comes that I resemble your conduct throughout the latter part of this thread. I really hope that you don’t call upon me to further partake for that matter. Thanks

Methinks thou dost protest too much but....

Mission accomplished ....feathers sufficiently ruffled imo. Don't ask me why that was my intention as I am not sure but some people just need to have their perfectly coiffed hair mussed up a little.

No need to "partake in the matter" any further lol. Please resume your normal functions.

Methinks thou dost protest too much but....

Mission accomplished ....feathers sufficiently ruffled imo. Don't ask me why that was my intention as I am not sure but some people just need to have their perfectly coiffed hair mussed up a little.

No need to "partake in the matter" any further lol. Please resume your normal functions.

there's no protest Dave, but anything less thorough might appear rude on my part....now I definitely wouldn't want that. Perhaps its best to let others judge what, if anything you have accomplished. Goodnight pal

thanks. hey Reg what kind of radio do you use to communicate with the crane operator? is it attached to your hard hat?

The one I have at the moment is a standard radio that plugs into the ear-muff; the earmuff has a mike attached. It is not voice activated, instead i have to push a button on the side of the muff. Sorry I dont have a photo. Hand-signals have their place, and should be learnt of course, but radios take you to a whole different level of fine tuning your techniques. Personally speaking, I was a little slow to realise that having spent years wiggling fingers and thumbs around in and between foliage.

If I were just breaking into crane work like yourselves, I would very politely ask someone like Marques Tree Service (member at AS) can you volunteer yourselves for a week at the benefit of witnessing a large scale operation on a day-to-day basis. Failing that, Mayer tree are another big one, who incidently I believe are hosting a crane/climbing workshop within the next couple of weeks. I have personally accepted passengers in the past to visit a site and come up in the tree where I've explained my objectives on a particular task, but dont like to give advice as such over the net because its just so open for mis-interpretation without knowing the person you're speaking to....and its a potentially lethal game where nothing can ever, ever be left to chance. From the feedback I recieved, you cant beat being there and witnessing first hand as opposed to reading and watching on a screen. Good luck

The one I have at the moment is a standard radio that plugs into the ear-muff; the earmuff has a mike attached. It is not voice activated, instead i have to push a button on the side of the muff. Sorry I dont have a photo. Hand-signals have their place, and should be learnt of course, but radios take you to a whole different level of fine tuning your techniques. Personally speaking, I was a little slow to realise that having spent years wiggling fingers and thumbs around in and between foliage.

If I were just breaking into crane work like yourselves, I would very politely ask someone like Marques Tree Service (member at AS) can you volunteer yourselves for a week at the benefit of witnessing a large scale operation on a day-to-day basis. Failing that, Mayer tree are another big one, who incidently I believe are hosting a crane/climbing workshop within the next couple of weeks. I have personally accepted passengers in the past to visit a site and come up in the tree where I've explained my objectives on a particular task, but dont like to give advice as such over the net because its just so open for mis-interpretation without knowing the person you're speaking to....and its a potentially lethal game where nothing can ever, ever be left to chance. From the feedback I recieved, you cant beat being there and witnessing first hand as opposed to reading and watching on a screen. Good luck

thanks. yes got the hand signals down but there has been a couple times where one of us couldn't see the other and that wasn't an option. guess i'm used to screaming from up a tree but i'm gettin old man. can't scream as loud as I used to. and when the chipper gets fired up...
Gonna look into a set of 2-ways.

I would very politely ask someone like Marques Tree Service (member at AS) can you volunteer yourselves for a week at the benefit of witnessing a large scale operation on a day-to-day basis.

reg! that has the potential to be a half whack.... is it?

and its marquis tree. lol.

not sure i'd want all these people trying to learn from us though because everyone around here is doing a fine job of doing it there own way and that is working out fantastic for us..... you know what i'm say'n, buddy?

stay safe reg. a pro in the tree and on the net as well.

Latest posts

Back