crane newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a nice lil boom truck, we run a lil bigger set-up than that 18ton national no lmi either. Weights hard hard to be exact on even with green log weight charts because of the foliage, seasons change, and many other factors. So think heavy and pick light, according to your charts, and feelings. you said you've been on the tree end of that crane before so should an idea of what size pieces you have taken before, hope you were paying attention the how he set the crane up and positioned the hook around the tree. Im not an operator so i cant tell you much bout pre-tensioning other than its nice my boss (the crane op) is also a climber with plenty of exp. on both sides of the 'hook', and that if you have to much or to lil its not nice as the climber you can usually tell when theres to much or to lilttle when are making you cut, and correct before its ugly, which isnt always so bad but never good n smooth. Cuts is a whole nother story as well different cuts for different situations, personally i like to make only one cut straight up/down/through whenever possible. There is times though when you do like to make a snap cut or rarely you would make a notch. Communication is KEY we discuss everything. Dont ride on the hook and make SURE everyone is wearing their headgear. Climb with a rope bag if you dont already and minimize clutter on your saddle, i never ditch the hand saw though keep that. Split tail system with spliced eyes everywhere is most effective for me. Would be a great idea to have your buddy come out on a couple jobs and work with your guy thats running it now.

Think thats about it for now I am working with my first company that has a crane and i love it, i feel i have a good grasp on my end of it so far. As mentioned b4 an experienced op. is great to have. Sorry for the ramble. lol

One that should be in the 'tree guy sayings' thread.....My boss favorite line "Dont be a pig, you'll tip your rig."

Looks like a nice lil boom truck, we run a lil bigger set-up than that 18ton national no lmi either. Weights hard hard to be exact on even with green log weight charts because of the foliage, seasons change, and many other factors. So think heavy and pick light, according to your charts, and feelings. you said you've been on the tree end of that crane before so should an idea of what size pieces you have taken before, hope you were paying attention the how he set the crane up and positioned the hook around the tree. Im not an operator so i cant tell you much bout pre-tensioning other than its nice my boss (the crane op) is also a climber with plenty of exp. on both sides of the 'hook', and that if you have to much or to lil its not nice as the climber you can usually tell when theres to much or to lilttle when are making you cut, and correct before its ugly, which isnt always so bad but never good n smooth. Cuts is a whole nother story as well different cuts for different situations, personally i like to make only one cut straight up/down/through whenever possible. There is times though when you do like to make a snap cut or rarely you would make a notch. Communication is KEY we discuss everything. Dont ride on the hook and make SURE everyone is wearing their headgear. Climb with a rope bag if you dont already and minimize clutter on your saddle, i never ditch the hand saw though keep that. Split tail system with spliced eyes everywhere is most effective for me. Would be a great idea to have your buddy come out on a couple jobs and work with your guy thats running it now.

Think thats about it for now I am working with my first company that has a crane and i love it, i feel i have a good grasp on my end of it so far. As mentioned b4 an experienced op. is great to have. Sorry for the ramble. lol

One that should be in the 'tree guy sayings' thread.....My boss favorite line "Dont be a pig, you'll tip your rig."

Don't ride the hook? You me make sure you have a good attachment point above the ball?

thanks for sharing tb :cheers:
riding the hook seems to be the norm around here. what method do you use?

How much stick you got on this 14 tonner? Good tip when you run out of boom and capacity due to potential shock load or lack of sticky.....hang tops on an eyed 3/4" double braid lanyard (by say 10 ft. long) girth hitched to the tree and r bowlined to the butt of the piece and cut in between by moving the hookup around opposite of where you are cutting. Then grab it with the crane after it is hanging straight down and untie the bowline attached to the piece when the crane op lifts it a little. No shock load. I invented this along w some other stuff.

With all this legislation and even though I have done more crane work and done it longer than anyone on this or any other forum....

I think they should give a new name to the person riding the ball in the ansi and osha stuff. You ain't goin up on your own energy and you aren't climbin ....but rather usually repelling down after the cut or ridin the ball(s):). We could name this person???? How bout rapeller....maybe nester??? or for the guy that does this every day and can't do schit else and is other wise basically useless ....how bouts???....

ball massager :laugh: or od?

Wow u are delusional tv... you really think you invented hanging a top that's outa reach from the tree then picking it with the crane? People have been doing that around here since the skyhook days and I promise you none of them have ever heard of dave shaw.
Thanks for the morning laugh

wow, gayve. after watching the couple vids you put up of your slooooooooow ass crane hackery you got some balls saying you a pioneer or trend setter of anything crane related. you making the statement of inventing anything would be almost the same as your wife saying she invented the dildo because your d ick is too short to reach her G spot. you may have been in this game for a long time but you've sucked at it for the same amount time you been doing it. the only way you could hold my jock strap in the crane game is if i stuffed it in your mouth.

wow, gayve. after watching the couple vids you put up of your slooooooooow ass crane hackery you got some balls saying you a pioneer or trend setter of anything crane related. you making the statement of inventing anything would be almost the same as your wife saying she invented the dildo because your d ick is too short to reach her G spot. you may have been in this game for a long time but you've sucked at it for the same amount time you been doing it. the only way you could hold my jock strap in the crane game is if i stuffed it in your mouth.

Ouch. Can't says he wasn't begging for that one. :popcorn:

How much stick you got on this 14 tonner? Good tip when you run out of boom and capacity due to potential shock load or lack of sticky.....hang tops on an eyed 3/4" double braid lanyard (by say 10 ft. long) girth hitched to the tree and r bowlined to the butt of the piece and cut in between by moving the hookup around opposite of where you are cutting. Then grab it with the crane after it is hanging straight down and untie the bowline attached to the piece when the crane op lifts it a little. No shock load. I invented this along w some other stuff.

With all this legislation and even though I have done more crane work and done it longer than anyone on this or any other forum....

I think they should give a new name to the person riding the ball in the ansi and osha stuff. You ain't goin up on your own energy and you aren't climbin ....but rather usually repelling down after the cut or ridin the ball(s):). We could name this person???? How bout rapeller....maybe nester??? or for the guy that does this every day and can't do schit else and is other wise basically useless ....how bouts???....

What are some of these other things you invented?? hanging a top and then dicing it up from the bucket? lol.

What are some of these other things you invented?? hanging a top and then dicing it up from the bucket? lol.

:hmm3grin2orange:

You marqueen boys just mad at the old timer cause i xposed youse for the hacks you are on Tbuzz as you got bout a hunerd half assers workin there and nary a dern CA lololol.; (that and me bangin young dirty's momma lol). hunerd sad sack hacks and not a brain between all of em to pass the CA test.:monkey:

Tisk tisk tisk :laugh:

:hmm3grin2orange:

You marqueen boys just mad at the old timer cause i xposed youse for the hacks you are on Tbuzz as you got bout a hunerd half assers workin there and nary a dern CA lololol.; (that and me bangin young dirty's momma lol). hunerd sad sack hacks and not a brain between all of em to pass the CA test.:monkey:

Tisk tisk tisk :laugh:

You exposed nothing. I explained our qualifications clearly.

You however, when someone calls you out you just change the subject. Your posts are utterly hilarious keep them coming. What else have u invented? Any techniques you have pioneered? We are all still smiling over your last claim.

How much stick you got on this 14 tonner?

boom is 61 ft. small I know but it sure beats the hell out of not having one at all. haven't had to do it yet but I thought about having to rope tops down to get it within the cranes reach. still not complaining tho, before a bucket truck and crane I used to have to climb everything. dice up big logs and load or chip by hand..ah the good old days

What's the other stuff you invented? Just curious.

Listen all I wanna know is what else have ya come up with before the rest , because honestly if its the truth than you deserve just do , thats all and Dave I may have you beat with the crane time , because I was doing 1100 hrs a year for almost 5 years so I believe that gives me almost 5000 hrs or so , so I MAY have ya beat but I am sure that you have 5100 hrs lol

Listen all I wanna know is what else have ya come up with before the rest , because honestly if its the truth than you deserve just do , thats all and Dave I may have you beat with the crane time , because I was doing 1100 hrs a year for almost 5 years so I believe that gives me almost 5000 hrs or so , so I MAY have ya beat but I am sure that you have 5100 hrs lol

Is that tree crane work Eddy?...My first crane job in 1971, 40 years ago and prob done well over a couple thousand. But who cares when you're having fun.

What's the other stuff you invented? Just curious.

Lightbulb in my spare time.

Did you type that whole quote?:D

You exposed nothing. I explained our qualifications clearly.

You however, when someone calls you out you just change the subject. Your posts are utterly hilarious keep them coming. What else have u invented? Any techniques you have pioneered? We are all still smiling over your last claim.

Uhmmmmmm....you took a month of repeated questions to answer and you finally come up with....hey, we got 3 CA's we can call in case of emergency lol. Then stumbled around bout how you gonna take the test, shoulda took the test, coulda took ......yada yada yada :pumpkin2:

didn't say I invented this stuff....it's natural evolution. It ain't rocket science. But when I started in Jersey in 71, nobody else was doing craners and we didn't have these forums to anal retentively disect every butt scratch on every pick...so I invented everything I did for first 10 years. All worked too. Climbing off the hook to top and setting the choker and rapelling down and making the cut. Setting a eyed lanyard on the hood instead of chokers and rbowine tieing them in. Multi tie ins that Reg thinks he invented as "spider legs" lol, did that in 1971. Moved to Cinci in 81 and nobody was doing any craners here either and I started subbing and renting constantly sometimes month rentals on 23 ton 90 footers. Nobody else around doing crane work cept me. Then all of a sudden...everybody is doing it and guys like Justine think they invented everything lhas to do with crane work......what a hoot. He started doing crane work just 3 or 4 years ago....what a marooon.:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back