crane on trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLACOSTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting one of theses cranes on a new 3.5 ton gross flatbed [with sides ] trailer I'm thinking about getting the 130 or 200 model

www.maxiliftcrane.com they cost around £4,000-£5,000 fitted

do you guys think there a waste of time a good idea or to expensive ? ,I'm looking for comments on these little cranes good or bad :)

the approximate weight of these cranes with hydraulics fluid ,tank ,pump ,battery's or engine frame legs ranges between 550-650lbs or to the rest of the world 250-300kg :)

Last edited:
Well now.... A Good Thinker like you musta thunk out all the things that could the thinked of. No senses of us guys thinkin fer you when it apprears that you must be the best thinker.

Don't ya think?

there not so much a crane more like a Prentice loader..a grapple/grab can be fitted to them

I think I would rather have a hiab mounted on a truck over a trailer I know in this area a trailer and truck will never go into the places where people want trees moved. A truck and a hiab on it can get in and out of these places and carry 5-6 ton of logs on the deck. If the wood is logging truck length ie anything 20-60 feet long then a self loading logging truck is brought in.

A excavator (trackhoe) with a bucket and thumb can load logs onto a truck faster than anything else when we deal with short wood (20 feet and shorter).

I have hauled logs on my 89 F-450 for one of the small bandmills I haul for time to time. Some of them are 36"s in diameter 14' long heavy SOB couple logs was a 3 ton load.

Any wood smaller than 12"s at the butt is firewood if the wood is shorter than 8' long is firewood the only exception is if the wood is 20"s or bigger in diameter.

I think I would rather invest in a 8000lb trackhoe with a thumb over a crane as a trackhoe can bail brush or stack it up move the logs and chunks around and pull the stumps out if required.

When tree guys do removals here all they do is drop the trees down and clean up the brush if the wood is saw logs they are bucked into useable lengths and thats it. If the homeowner wants to sell the wood they pay the 100 dollars for truck with a hiab to come and pick up the wood.

i have since decided the crane isn't big enough for my uses..i need a big hiab 050 or bigger,but now what do i put one on

If you are from the other side of the pond don't you guys use the COE trucks which is what I think would be the best to put the hiab on. You have to make sure the truck has a heavy enough gvw to make sure you have some payload load. A single axle truck with a 33,000lb or 35,000lb gvw would be a perfect size. The local lumberyard bought a Hino 5 ton COE the truck ???? near goes anywhere where a P/U truck will go the turning radius on the Hino is good.

I have a loader on a trailer. I have had it almost a year now. It saved me a lot of hard work last summer. It will pick up 2,000 lbs with out too much trouble. I purchased it at Bailey's. This thread on it will answer most of your questions on it. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=14989&page=1&pp=15&highlight=loader I like the sides and rear on it as it makes loading faster, I don't have to deal with over hanging brush too much. If you have any questions just ask I will try to answer.

Back