Crane work up close....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean opposing (matching) cuts Dave? I'll do it if it becomes apparent that I’ve started cutting on the wrong side of a vertical (the kerf is closing on me). I actually stopped Sean from doing that in the very first cut shown in the vid. I much prefer to chase the holding wood to the outside so the cut is able to open and give me a good indication as to/in case we are already too tight or too slack....either way the situation can be corrected before the last of the holding wood is severed.

On the contrary, if your holding wood is in the middle it's very difficult to tell how accurately you've pre-loaded it until you cut right through....at which point it could just go pop, or it could go Bang! With rookies I put money on the latter....so I personally feel the advice I gave him will make the situation easier and safer to work out (5.40 in the 1st vid). When he finds his feet he can try other things of course.

I am still afraid the moment I will have to to a first crane job here in Estonia - no matter who I asked NOBODY EVER HEARD of people taking down trees with the crane, while still up in the tree, which means none of the crane operators knows what they are doing (and that scares living daylight out of me). I worked 10 yrs in Florida - but we always had decent crane operators - we didn't have a radio so everything was relayed from one man to each other in hand signals - and everything wen well.
Theres one more thing what I would like to say -thank God for guys like you! - The only instructions I got was profanity when I did something wrong - and believe me southerners know how to yell and cuss!!!

Latest posts

Back