Crank Bearing Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know the actual difference between the clutch side bearings of the Stihl 036 and 044? They list identical dimensions (15X35X13), but different part numbers. Any input is appreciated from those who know more than myself. Thanks in advance guys!

9523-003-4275 is the 044 bearing
9523-003-4266 is the 036 bearing

just in case part numbers were needed.

Also, I notice that a lot of aftermarket bearing sets list their bearings as being compatible with the 036 and 044 both...

Does anyone know the actual difference between the clutch side bearings of the Stihl 036 and 044? They list identical dimensions (15X35X13), but different part numbers. Any input is appreciated from those who know more than myself. Thanks in advance guys!

9523-003-4275 is the 044 bearing
9523-003-4266 is the 036 bearing

just in case part numbers were needed.

Also, I notice that a lot of aftermarket bearing sets list their bearings as being compatible with the 036 and 044 both...

that's a standard 6202 ball bearing. however, they come in many flavors. you might want to visit the timken web site. advise that you avoid the asian bearings found on ebay. some are ok others unusable. if there is a bearing engineering store near you they could help you find a suitable skf or timken bearing. some newer saws are using proprietary 6202 bearings with special integrated seals that make them cheaper to build. my guess is that both the 036 and 044 use open bearings without seals or dust shields. that's important to allow mix to lubricate them.

are these for an 044 or 036?

that's going to be Stihl's proprietary bearing on the clutch side, it has a funny step in the outer race for a crank seal. Standard 6202 fits on the flywheel side.

Why don't you just get the correct one from the Stihl dealer? They are only 10-11 dollars a piece. The aftermarket ones that I just looked at online are $20 each, and you have to pay shipping.

I am a Stihl dealer. Dimensionally, these two bearings appear identical. So I'm simply wondering if anyone knows why they were given different part numbers. They both run nylon bearing cages... maybe a standard vs a C3 rating? Of course, this bearing doesn't have your typical ball bearing markings on the race like 6202C3, because it's Stihl's exclusive bearing.

Jacob, the man of the day. That's what I was looking for. I don't have the 044 bearing in front of me, just the 036, so thanks!

so, could you use an 036 bearing in the 044? sorta look like it.

You can use an 036 bearing in an 044, no problem there. The 036 bearing on the clutch side is the same for MS-360, 026/260, 046/MS-460, and MS-361 (I believe). I've used them in 044s and MS-440s. Internal dimensions are the same, it's just that step on outer ring facing the oil pump.

The seals are completely different though, as the 044/MS-440 uses the separate bushing.

You can use an 036 bearing in an 044, no problem there. The 036 bearing on the clutch side is the same for MS-360, 026/260, 046/MS-460, and MS-361 (I believe). I've used them in 044s and MS-440s. Internal dimensions are the same, it's just that step on outer ring facing the oil pump.

The seals are completely different though, as the 044/MS-440 uses the separate bushing.

so for the 044 you could also probably use a 6202 bearing from another parts source other than stihl, say echo, husky or a bearing company like Bearing Engineering? the reason i ask is that sometimes the plastic wrapper with stihl printed on it costs more than the actual part.

That's true in regards to the 6202 bearing, though I'd probably get a C3 clearance bearing. Standard clearance is between C2 and C3, but I think a little looser tolerance is going to be better in a high heat application like a crankshaft bearing. Just my opinion, as im not sure the clearance rating of the OEM, but my guess would be C3

That's true in regards to the 6202 bearing, though I'd probably get a C3 clearance bearing. Standard clearance is between C2 and C3, but I think a little looser tolerance is going to be better in a high heat application like a crankshaft bearing. Just my opinion, as im not sure the clearance rating of the OEM, but my guess would be C3

i just installed new bearings in a husky 575. they are 6202's but the pto side is proprietary, with integrated seal. i recall it was $50 for the pair, the pto side being around $40. sorry to sound like an old fogey but i long for the old days when husky put the pto seal in an assembly under the oil pump. of course those seals almost never wore out anyway.

Latest posts

Back