crank case preasure #'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShoerFast said:
Dennis

Having read before that your not a huge fan of dyno's, most NHRA racers would also agree that ET's are the final test. And there is no argument for sucess.

But from a builder/ experimental stand-point, I would think that a good dyno would be of a lot of use making and documenting changes, as it would seem that for myself, it would take the chain and operator out of the picture.

There is a chance that throwing the word "good dyno" in there may be the catch.

That was my point Shoe.....you don't need a real dyno to document improvement. You can do many of the same things and spend your money and time more wisely with a block of wood....which I think is the more practical way of thinking on this site.....but, some here just want more techniqual Bull$hit in there lives....not me!

Dennis Cahoon said:
That was my point Shoe.....you don't need a real dyno to document improvement. You can do many of the same things and spend your money and time more wisely with a block of wood....which I think is the more practical way of thinking on this site.....but, some here just want more techniqual Bull$hit in there lives....not me!

Yes

And here is too cheep,

This was the going to be a test for thrust of a new after-burner design, jet car jumped the hook and launched about 100 yards down a vacent parking lot,,,,

attachment.php

The test was cheep, and did work, it gave 1000# more then the last test of 6500# , but was more of a test of hook strenth, we we're lucky that day!,,,,

attachment.php

My idea of a saw dyno would be more like putting the chain on bass-acwards and spinning a rubber press-wheel that is driving a generator, measure power in watts, but sorry to say , it would not harness a Cahoon Bike-Saw!

klickitatsacket said:
Timber, I completely agree with what you are saying. I have been looking at this and studying it for almost a year now. the hope is to turn the motor at low RPM like say around the 200 RPM range (I won.t know until I try) to get an idea of how flow and turbulance is effected by the changing of port opening in motion. For the most part though we will be using the static bays for R&D. As mentioned before the one bay is gauged and the other is static smoke.

Even at 200 rpm all you are going to see on a gauge is the average of the pressure and vac... maybe a slight positive reading. To see exactly what is happening you need a pressure transducer in the impulse line or crankcase connected to your laptop or PC, and the appropriate data acquisition software to read/store/display the results.

some of you guys are missing the point for what ever reason. I feel some times it's because you want to. Oh well. I will go back over it for those that have a hard time reading. the flow bench tests on the one side with gauges (static) the other side with smoke (static) The third thing we would like to try is an electric motor turning an engine with smoke running through it and have windows put into strategic places for viewing. The last one may not work and or may not give much useful information. Then again because I have not seen any one in here or else were that has tried to do this; I figured I would try it.

I actually agree with Dennis on the log and it being your best test. However I am finding that I want to document gains and losses a little more closely. There are too many variables in a log and even with an operator. With a dyno I can run things more consistantly and isolate new designs or componants and be assured that nothing else is changing. At the end of the day it still has to touch a log, because as Dennis has pointed out that is all that really matters and there is no dyno other than a log that will test a chain.

Please list any saw builder that is not still learning and I will point to someone stuck in a rut getting their doors blow off.

Fred

Latest posts

Back