Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't talking about casting flash...to reiterate:

I have seen some "funny shaped ports", but they never struck me as poorly shaped ports. These definitely do.

I'm no porting expert, but I sure know the flow difference between a rough finish and that finish. Rough is fine, as long as the surface is smooth apart from the finish. Divoting like that pictured as Brad creates BAD turbulence.

Maybe you should do some rereading...I'm going out to punch some speed holes in my hood with a pickaxe.

Full of the smart comments tonight huh?:) As for all your questions, who really knows what they would accomplish or prohibit. I know one thing though, it wouldn't be much of a difference in performance. Nothing noticeable, that is for sure.

As for my comment on the intake, it was meant just to say that it is not critical for it to be smooth as silk and a little roughness is actually good. I agree that the ridges aren't helping anything, but the negative effects they have are little.

Say all you want about the quality and finish. I don't like it either, but nothing can be proved it's performance or reliability without testing it. That is something we probably won't ever find out.

If you got a problem with it, voice your opinion to Stihl and spend your money else where.

Have fun tearing that 076 down. Pretty easy to do. Just remember to close the choke when taking off the nuts for the air filter base and make sure to tighten everything really well. Hopefully you don't find any little obscurities on the cylinder. I would hate to see you sell it because it doesn't pass your inspection test based on looks only. I guess quality is only skin deep.

Oh my look at that sig of yours and tell me why your here, let me guess, hey join the crowd buddy. Things they want you to pay for, oh my, now we got bashers who feel Stihl should give stuff away for free. A piston stop costs 2.00, wow, bud if your that hard up I'll send you one for free, naaaa, to hell with ya, make it 5.00,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Don't let the sig be the whole story; what it doesn't say is anything about the two FS 80's (one that I called you about this past week), the FS 110R, the BR 340 or the two BR 600's I also own. I've also worked on several Stihl saws (including my 056 Super) and all I'm saying is that stihl should loosen up a little with the IPL's & Service manuals: I called the shop you gave me the number for & I thought I was going to have to go visit them in person and show the parts person how to read his own parts diagrams. He initially told me "Stihl never made a FS 80 that had a needle & jet, are you sure its the original carburetor?" Several of us are quite able to repair and maintain our oun equipment, however when the people working the parts counters can't get the right part for you because they are not willing to look at anything other than the current production runs, it's really frustrating. At least I can call the Husky dealer with the parts numbers I need (from looking them up in the IPL's myself) and that cuts out any error other than my own. I am in no way a Stihl basher, I own too many of them myself, I do think they should look at some of their policies just like Husqvarna needs to re-think some of theirs. I can tell you this, I have never seen a cylinder that looks as bad as the one Brad posted, no matter which manufacturer it came from, it looks like poor quality. I can honestly say, I have never even seen an aftermarket cylinder that looks that bad. I would be afraid to modify that particular cylinder for fear of grinding into a porous chamber that would definately ruin it for sure. Brad was trying to modify the cylinder for performance gains; I know when I used to Drag race, we would do major modifications to the heads for performance gains, if I ever had to port a set of heads that looked that porous, I would thrown out the red flag too, its the same principal, you can't polish a turd.

Say all you want about the quality and finish. I don't like it either, but nothing can be proved it's performance or reliability without testing it. That is something we probably won't ever find out.

I guess my point has always been that I had heard so many good things about Stihl (enough to make this Husky man want one) that I am completely taken aback by the "as long as it runs" attitude.

There are volumes written about cylinder and port finish, both from the standpoint of performance AND reliability. I just have a hard time believing that anyone with any mechanical aptitude would look at that particular cylinder and reach the conclusion that there was no way of knowing whether it would be outperformed the types of Stihl cylinders we are more used to seeing.

Have fun tearing that 076 down. Pretty easy to do. Just remember to close the choke when taking off the nuts for the air filter base and make sure to tighten everything really well. Hopefully you don't find any little obscurities on the cylinder. I would hate to see you sell it because it doesn't pass your inspection test based on looks only. I guess quality is only skin deep.

I don't think that my objections to the cylinder depicted by Brad are an example of overly fussy nitpicking. Like I said, I expect to have to do some cleanup on a cylinder. That's why I'm going in there in the first place.

I don't think it is too much to expect from a brand with Stihl's reputation that (apart from some flashing here and some rough spots there) it would look like it was done by someone that cared about what they were doing.

Thanks for the tip on the choke! :cheers:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1R92tEYePE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1R92tEYePE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

did you guys realize you cant even follow this thread, myswell delete the hole dang thing

Latest posts

Back