Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Rope, I'm saying if they came in hollering and expecting something for nothing to go make a buck I would send them packing fast. Take note I've said many times if the person who bought the saw brought the entire saw in with a complaint, not the modder, fully assembled, then notta a problem, I fix it, not the modder. Thats how it works in the real world no matter where you go.

Plus, if you take it in to Mr. Bojangles here, he'll do a little 70-page song and dance number for you. :clap:

So come on down...come on down to Bojangles Stihl...where we'll treat you like a king!!*

* Rodney King...

Last edited:
LOL, I agree Tom, I'd like this thread to stop, cause it's wasting so much of my dam time. And I just can't stay away, LOL.

I like the way you operate Tommy. I'm a auto tech, we've had people come in and say, you fixed my car, then later something went wrong with it, I took it somewhere else and had it fixed, and now I want you to pay the bill?? ha ha ha LOL LOL, their lucky I'm not on the front counter, because I'm not so diplomatic with this kinda stuff. If you would have just brought it back to us in the first place we would of gladly taken care of it if it was the fault of ours. Not for some other party to decide. The warranty is with us and no other. I'd tell them to take a trip to fcukity off land!!!

Its just plain common sense Parris, you know it, you just wrote it. If a man came in the shop carring that cylinder to show me the defects in it thats one thing, I'll cry with him, him expecting a free one condsidering the story on this saw is totally insane. First question would be where is the rest of the saw, who took it apart and why. You just wrote your shop wouldn't do, I know dayumm well I wouldn't do it. If Brads dealer will good on him, he's more free with freebies than me..

Hey you forgot one, I think you and Brad are related, don't be shy when its you buddy,LOL

Was that English? Are your lips getting tired from all this reading?

And who taught you about relatedness...your uncle-dad?

Its just plain common sense Parris, you know it, you just wrote it. If a man came in the shop carring that cylinder to show me the defects in it thats one thing, I'll cry with him, him expecting a free one condsidering the story on this saw is totally insane. First question would be where is the rest of the saw, who took it apart and why. You just wrote your shop wouldn't do, I know dayumm well I wouldn't do it. If Brads dealer will good on him, he's more free with freebies than me..

I wonder if that shop owner knows how Stihl has been thrown under the bus in this thread???

First question would be where is the rest of the saw, who took it apart and why.

That's the part I don't understand...you agree that the cylinder is substandard, so why shouldn't Stihl replace it? It is a matter of legality with the warranty?

Yup, your right, I did just write it. And I do agree with ya on that one. I do think it was a little ballsey of Brad to do what he did bringing in the cylinder for a new one. If his dealer comes through for him, well that says allot I guess. I guess in the end, Brad and his customer have an agreement, and Brads customer was happy with what he did and how he handled it, so that's all that matters in the end, that they are happy with it. If he gets no new cylinder then oh well, live an learn.

That's the part I don't understand...you agree that the cylinder is substandard, so why shouldn't Stihl replace it? It is a matter of legality with the warranty?

Read the warranty Ed, its been taken apart by a non-certified person, he is not certified to work on that saw. How is Stihl to know what happen between the time it was taken apart and the time it got to the shop. Thats why they say take it to your dealer. If it had any warranty at all left on it he tossed it the minute he tore it apart. He is not entitled to a free cylinder, the orginal purchaser may be but Brad screwed that mans warranty up when he took it apart. Thats just the way it is on most anything you buy. Once it was taken apart the quality issue is moot, there is no warranty period.

The only question/issue I really would like to know with 100% honesty was the post used to just call out Stihl or was there some, if just a little chest beating going on to draw attention to oneself to lend credibility to the status of a "saw builder" for self credibility gains, puffing the ego a little---not that there is anything wrong with it, if we are all honest we all do it to some degree concerning some facet of our life.

Oh come on! You make a lot of good sense, but that's rediculous. How in the world does showing a poor quality cylinder equate to my beating on my chest? Give me a break! How does showing a bent rod and a hole in a piston build me up? If anything, I'm comfortable enough with who and what I am that I can risk the flack that someone is always ready to through. I willingly took that risk, and would do it again. Stihl has been shipping these substandard cylinders for months now and I chose to call them out loud and clear on it. I'd do it again. This thread would only be a few pages long if it weren't for 2-3 people trying to defend Stihl.

You also made mention that most of the members here wouldn't really care. I tend to differ with you. I'd love to see a poll on it. I don't care to start another thread, but I'd add a poll to this one if I could.

Read the warranty Ed, its been taken apart by a non-certified person, he is not certified to work on that saw. How is Stihl to know what happen between the time it was taken apart and the time it got to the shop. Thats why they say take it to your dealer. If it had any warranty at all left on it he tossed it the minute he tore it apart. He is not entitled to a free cylinder, the orginal purchaser may be but Brad screwed that mans warranty up when he took it apart. Thats just the way it is on most anything you buy. Once it was taken apart the quality issue is moot, there is no warranty period.

That's what I figured...but I would imagine that it is like the no drinking law in state parks...they only enforce it when there is trouble.

Here's why I'd go broke if I ever started a business. I's save the "voided the warranty" speech for those that deserve it. In this case, I would make a concerted effort to make it right, because it is obvious that this is a flawed part not an abused part.

Remember, I'm not saying that's what should be done, I'm saying that's why I'd lose money.

1.6ci or 1.6Hp,? Woodie you remind me of Sammy Davis in more ways than one,hehe

Funny thing today...I finally got around to taking care of the lawn for the first time this season.

I hadn't run either of my 1.6 hp Kawasaki tools since November of last year. Put in fresh mix, and you're not going to believe how frickin' badly they had deteriorated over just six months.

Both pieces took TWO PULLS APIECE to start!! TWO!! That's TWICE AS MANY AS USUAL!! I tells ya...when a Kawi won't start on the first pull...what is the world coming to??!!!

On a secondary note, I did finally get the blower started again.

And it Stihl wouldn't accelerate.

I would tend to disagree. Just because it says it in the warranty doesn't mean it's enforcable in a court of law. Stihl's warranty can say you have to bring it in to the dealer while wearing a bear suit, but only Virginia would enforce that.

Probably something that varies by state.

Yup, your right, I did just write it. And I do agree with ya on that one. I do think it was a little ballsey of Brad to do what he did bringing in the cylinder for a new one. If his dealer comes through for him, well that says allot I guess. I guess in the end, Brad and his customer have an agreement, and Brads customer was happy with what he did and how he handled it, so that's all that matters in the end, that they are happy with it. If he gets no new cylinder then oh well, live an learn.

Your out of the game, you must be seated now, I got a "your right" out of you!!

Seriously if they give him a new cylinder great, if not, live and learn. Grr I repeated you, guess your back in the game, get up,LOL

Your out of the game, you must be seated now, I got a "your right" out of you!!

Seriously if they give him a new cylinder great, if not, live and learn. Grr I repeated you, guess your back in the game, get up,LOL

Technically he was never out...your right is just on the opposite side from your left.

Latest posts

Back