Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the cylinder not decent?

If the saw makes the advertised amount of power, and lasts the expected number of hours, then the cylinder has done what was required of it.

It is all so simple for those that do not have millions invested in a business...

It is all so simple to those for whom $500 is not a substantial purchase upon which their livelihood depends..

Interestingly, there are two threads at the top now. One laments the declining quality of Stihl. The other is praising the Poulan saw. Whoda thunk it? :cheers:

If the saw makes the advertised amount of power, and lasts the expected number of hours, then the cylinder has done what was required of it.

It is all so simple for those that do not have millions invested in a business...

I agree, while those casts don't look good, I'm sure it preforms well and had to for it to leave the plant. The chip is the only thing that jumps out at me, maybe it could chip at a higher place in the cylinder as the saw gets more hours. Then again, it could go 2500 hours and be fine. I got 7 026 cylinders here that look great and 4 are used, some have a little flashing that could be cleaned up but I'll run 'em like they are when the time comes.:chainsaw:

Then please supply an acceptable coutermeasure...

I share the same credentials as Patrick, so I'll give it a crack.

It would have been prudent to not move the production away from Mahle until the in-house process was refined enough to produce a cylinder of similar quality.

The "countermeasure" that you speak of in this case at minimum would be physical inspection and sorting. The chip at the top of the jug should have rejected the part and it should have been reworked or scrapped.

I don't know enough about their process and expectations to know for sure if the other attributes are acceptable to Stihl.

Perhaps. I am just an old, ex-steel mill worker, and if I lived this life 10 times over would never have the millions you speak of.
However, the millions you speak of are for nothing if you cannot supply the common man like myself with a quality product at a decent price.
Perhaps cut back a little on advertising and use the extra money for a decent cylinder on an already over priced saw.
By the way, a 260 is on my list to buy, been wanting one for a while. No brand loyalty here.

Boy this sure is a popular thread. 37 people on it right now. I guess I'll be staying up late tonight. It will be even better tonight after I have a few beers.

OK fellas, I just checked all my saws. Got about 80 Huskys and Jonnys in stock. I spent the last couple of hours pulling the cylinders off of every single saw. And I'm happy to report that every last one of them is absolutely perfect!!

This wouldn't happen to stihl if they used Kryptonite like Jonsered does. :givebeer:

80 and all good, man your lucky. I only got 45 Stihl's and they are all perfect, hey guess I'm lucky too,hehe Hey wait a minute your a Husky dealer, what about my crankcase buddy, should I write a book or just have fun with it like I always have,LOLOL

Then please supply an acceptable coutermeasure...

An acceptable countermeasure? Quality control. Those cylinders are trash. Make them, cast them, machine them or plate them elsewhere.
Where I work, if something with that sort of quality appeared, the whole lot would be sent back. Do us a proper batch. If they can't, then change suppliers.
The Chinese can produce quality stuff if they are paid for it. It seems in this case, either Stihl have gone cheap and nasty, or their QC has gone to sh#t.

Close but no cigar, that's 3 that has been exposed out of 40,000,000 plus so far, not bad, what % is that, something like .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000003%, not too shabby,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Who taught you how to do math? 3 of 40,000,000 is 0.000000075%.

Last edited:
I share the same credentials as Patrick, so I'll give it a crack.

It would have been prudent to not move the production away from Mahle until the in-house process was refined enough to produce a cylinder of similar quality.

The "countermeasure" that you speak of in this case at minimum would be physical inspection and sorting. The chip at the top of the jug should have rejected the part and it should have been reworked or scrapped.

I don't know enough about their process and expectations to know for sure if the other attributes are acceptable to Stihl.

Do we know all the circumstances between Stihl and Mahle?

The chip is at the bottom of the cylinder, in a place that has no effect on the output of the saw.

An acceptable countermeasure? Quality control. Those cylinders are trash. Make them, cast them, machine them or plate them elsewhere.
Where I work, if something with that sort of quality appeared, the whole lot would be sent back. Do us a proper batch. If they can't, then change suppliers.
The Chinese can produce quality stuff if they are paid for it. It seems in this case, either Stihl have gone cheap and nasty, or their QC has gone to sh#t.

Why is the cylinder trash?

What is the defect?

Boy this sure is a popular thread. 37 people on it right now. I guess I'll be staying up late tonight. It will be even better tonight after I have a few beers.

OK fellas, I just checked all my saws. Got about 80 Huskys and Jonnys in stock. I spent the last couple of hours pulling the cylinders off of every single saw. And I'm happy to report that every last one of them is absolutely perfect!!

This wouldn't happen to stihl if they used Kryptonite like Jonsered does. :givebeer:

I picked the right horse then. :)

Awww mannnn. This thread has me a touch concerned.

There's a couple of saws on the shelf.

The 440 has an MD number of 0605
The 660 has an MD number of 0708

Should I sell those things right away?
Especially before it gets out that they are junk?

80 and all good, man your lucky. I only got 45 Stihl's and they are all perfect, hey guess I'm lucky too,hehe Hey wait a minute your a Husky dealer, what about my crankcase buddy, should I write a book or just have fun with it like I always have,LOLOL

Hey don't you worry about that crankcase anymore Tommy. Husky came out with a nice line of oil proof chaps for them leakers. :cheers:

Cosmetically there is a lot wrong with the cylinder, however, we are enthusiasts and as such examine every fine detail.
To a pro buying x amount of pro saws a year and never taking the covers off, if it gives the stated amount of power and lasts the usual length of time then its a good saw.
I would suspect Stihll, like most other businesses, are looking to source parts cheaper in the present economic climate to maintain their price point and remain competitive.
I would guess that the criteria for the cylinder would be:
Power:check
longevity:check

Everything else is not important. It has a lifespan and it satisfies it.

Latest posts

Back