Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey don't you worry about that crankcase anymore Tommy. Husky came out with a nice line of oil proof chaps for them leakers. :cheers:

Really, well good for them. I'll cease with writing the book then and just hang around here and have alittle fun,:cheers::cheers:

Why is the cylinder trash?

What is the defect?

Trash as in poorly made, cheaply cast cylinders. If I buy a Stihl product, I don't expect it to look like it was hand-beaten by a 13 year old girl in an Indian sweatshop. I expect quality. That cylinder is not good quality, it is poor quality. My 041 is 33 years old, and I can see the quality in the build. Likewise my 020T.
This one? Not so much.

Cosmetically there is a lot wrong with the cylinder, however, we are enthusiasts and as such examine every fine detail.
To a pro buying x amount of pro saws a year and never taking the covers off, if it gives the stated amount of power and lasts the usual length of time then its a good saw.
I would suspect Stihll, like most other businesses, are looking to source parts cheaper in the present economic climate to maintain their price point and remain competitive.
I would guess that the criteria for the cylinder would be:
Power:check
longevity:check

Everything else is not important. It has a lifespan and it satisfies it.

Perfect...

Cosmetically there is a lot wrong with the cylinder, however, we are enthusiasts and as such examine every fine detail.
To a pro buying x amount of pro saws a year and never taking the covers off, if it gives the stated amount of power and lasts the usual length of time then its a good saw.
I would suspect Stihll, like most other businesses, are looking to source parts cheaper in the present economic climate to maintain their price point and remain competitive.
I would guess that the criteria for the cylinder would be:
Power:check
longevity:check

Everything else is not important. It has a lifespan and it satisfies it.

Where did you come from with logic like that,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Do we know all the circumstances between Stihl and Mahle?

The chip is at the bottom of the cylinder, in a place that has no effect on the output of the saw.

Of course we don't know ALL the circumstances between two corporations, but is that the issue?

The chip is indicative of an accident, poor plating adhesion, and/or lower standards of quality control compared to previous parts. I don't know if it would have an effect down the road, and you don't either. It was not design intent, and would have to be seen as undesireable, so either it squeaked by or standards are now lower than before. If you don't care and would accept that on your saw, that's ok with me.

Trash as in poorly made, cheaply cast cylinders. If I buy a Stihl product, I don't expect it to look like it was hand-beaten by a 13 year old girl in an Indian sweatshop. I expect quality. That cylinder is not good quality, it is poor quality. My 041 is 33 years old, and I can see the quality in the build. Likewise my 020T.
This one? Not so much.

You speak of appearance, how is the function defective?

This one? Not so much.

Patrick I'm with you 100% except on one thing. I have never sold a saw in which the intent of the buyer was to take it apart and look at the inside of it. If he did so and brought it back he would be outta luck with me. Now one must ask the question here, we all have cars and trucks, how many of us take the engines apart in our brand new set of wheels to see the workmanship in it, none that I know of..

Guys what I am more afraid is that all other companies are reading this site and are saying: Hey if Stihl can get away with this so can we!!! We don't need math to find out how quality will be in 1-2 years!

Of course we don't know ALL the circumstances between two corporations, but is that the issue?

The chip is indicative of an accident, poor plating adhesion, and/or lower standards of quality control compared to previous parts. I don't know if it would have an effect down the road, and you don't either. It was not design intent, and would have to be seen as undesireable, so either it squeaked by or standards are now lower than before. If you don't care and would accept that on your saw, that's ok with me.

The cylinder is acceptable to Stihl. They are the ones that would have to pay a warranty claim. If the plating is truly defective then it will most likely fail during the warranty period.

I will be the first to say that the appearance of quality on that cylinder is lower than before, but if it performs acceptably, then the customer got what they paid for.

If this kind of thing is that important, are you going to take apart the transmission in your vehicle, then search internet message boards to find out if what you have is typical?

^^^Thall was posting the same thought while I was typing...:)

Last edited:
Patrick I'm with you 100% except on one thing. I have never sold a saw in which the intent of the buyer was to take it apart and look at the inside of it. If he did so and brought it back he would be outta luck with me. Now one must ask the question here, we all have cars and trucks, how many of us take the engines apart in our brand new set of wheels to see the workmanship in it, none that I know of..

You can't see if your cook spits in your hamburger either, and they're not going to let you in the kitchen. Does that make hamburger spit ok?

You can't see if your cook spits in your hamburger either, and they're not going to let you in the kitchen. Does that make hamburger spit ok?

More like> what we don't know won't hurt us. Now if the spitter had some type of infection and we got sick, that could be a case. All of this thread is really moot, cylinder heads on vehicles have some much worse looking castings. If you want to port them, then it doesn't matter.

It is so easy for those that have never been involved in manufactring to pass judgement on quality.

I'll never be pregnant, but I bet passing a baby hurts like a biyotch. Does my opinion still count? (Hint: Yes.)

If you were manufacturing saws, would you pour a great deal of capital into a model that will soon be unsellable in your largest market?

Irrelevant. If you were buying a saw, would you pour a great deal of money into one with a cylinder that chitty?

Have you stopped to think that maybe Mahle's unit price was to high to keep the MS260 at the price point Stihl needs?

Irrelevant. If Stihl can't build the unit at a cost its selling price will support, it should exit that market, or accept the margin as a loss leader.

Maybe you should buy the book Stihl: From an Idea to a World Brand to discover some of the obstacles Stihl has overcome to get where they are.

Irrelevant. No one cares what a company has 'overcome.' They care, or should care, about getting a good product at a good price.

I wonder though, can you define the root cause of the "crappy cylinder"?

Irrelevant. The end consumer doesn't need to know why a cylinder sucks, they just need to know that it does.

If I remember correctly, manufacturing is not your field of expertise, so maybe we should view your judgement as that of a layman.

Irrelevant. One need not be an expert in software engineering to know when a piece of software sucks. Spotting the bugs is enough.

:)

I do, because I'm a picky type. :D
But Brad just bought a cylinder, which was clearly a really bad casting. If I bought a new set of pistons for any of my cars and they were anywhere near that bad, I would be standing at the sales desk throwing them at the spares guy - with some special Tom Hall "Gas'n go" gas and soap flakes mix on them of course.
It's a shoddy cylinder - would you not send it back if Stihl sent you it to put on a customers saw?

I'll never be pregnant, but I bet passing a baby hurts like a biyotch. Does my opinion still count? (Hint: Yes.)

Irrelevant. If you were buying a saw, would you pour a great deal of money into one with a cylinder that chitty?

Irrelevant. If Stihl can't build the unit at a cost its selling price will support, it should exit that market, or accept the margin as a loss leader.

Irrelevant. No one cares what a company has 'overcome.' They care, or should care, about getting a good product at a good price.

Irrelevant. The end consumer doesn't need to know why a cylinder sucks, they just need to know that it does.

Irrelevant. One need not be an expert in software engineering to know when a piece of software sucks. Spotting the bugs is enough.

:)

Will you take apart everything you buy so that you may "judge" the level of quality?

I think not.

Back