Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some folks will never hear it Brad.... Kudos to you for calling them out. :clap:

This is not a one time defective cylinder it is (as someone has already pointed out) the product of a shift in manufacturing and a trend toward cheaper quality as a result.

I have seen to many to think it's a one time fluke.... you can either choose to see it or turn a blind eye... makes me no nevermind.

Brad is (as labeled by this board) a STIHLHEAD.... I'm sure it was a hard lump to swallow for Brad to make this post as it was for Brian... as it was for me but... it is what it is and it can't anything other than that it is what it is..... I personally am a Stihlhaed at heart also but I got that way by a continued succession of top quality products, my allegiance was earned not given and I will call them like I see them and if this is what I can expect from Stihl in the future..... I will look elsewhere.

I buy my OPE for QUALITY period... I don't care what it costs or who makes it, if Stihl wants to keep my business they are going to have to do better than this. If I wanted to buy junk I'd get me a Wildthing and save some money.

I do, because I'm a picky type. :D
But Brad just bought a cylinder, which was clearly a really bad casting. If I bought a new set of pistons for any of my cars and they were anywhere near that bad, I would be standing at the sales desk throwing them at the spares guy - with some special Tom Hall "Gas'n go" gas and soap flakes mix on them of course.
It's a shoddy cylinder - would you not send it back if Stihl sent you it to put on a customers saw?

Brad bought nothing, please read the whole thread. Brad is posting about another persons cylinder.

Brad hailed the 361BB cylinder (true Chicom junk with cylindricity issues), and trashes the Stihl cylinder that has no proven functional defects.

The cylinder is acceptable to Stihl. They are the ones that would have to pay a warranty claim. If the plating is truly defective then it will most likely fail during the warranty period.

I will be the first to say that the appearance of quality on that cylinder is lower than before, but if it performs acceptably, then the customer got what they paid for.

If this kind of thing is that important, are you going to take apart the transmission in your vehicle, then search internet message boards to find out if what you have is typical?

I understand your point, and agree about the warranty period. There are plenty of smart people at Stihl and I'd think they've crunched the numbers to assesss the warranty risk in moving production of these parts. But, when a process is uncontrolled and defects are allowed to exist, that is manufacturing culture and problems will most certainly arise from such a culture. I guess we will see!

Known defects are not allowed to exist in the auto industry. If they are at all significant, they become recalls. That cylinder has some machining irregularities. My accord trans had some machining irregularities and I got a new one out of warranty. I didn't even have to take it apart myself:cheers:

Brad bought nothing, please read the whole thread. Brad is posting about another persons cylinder.

Brad hailed the 361BB cylinder (true Chicom junk with cylindricity issues), and trashes the Stihl cylinder that has no proven functional defects.

OK, Brad GOT a cylinder, which at present has no functional defects. It is well below the quality buyers expect from Stihl.
It may, or may not, exhibit functional defects once it is run in a saw.

It is a low quality part, and that is all it is. Badly casted, badly plated, and it hasn't even been run yet?

Some folks will never hear it Brad.... Kudos to you for calling them out. :clap:

This is not a one time defective cylinder it is (as someone has already pointed out) the product of a shift in manufacturing and a trend toward cheaper quality as a result.

I have seen to many to think it's a one time fluke.... you can either choose to see it or turn a blind eye... makes me no nevermind.

Brad is (as labeled by this board) a STIHLHEAD.... I'm sure it was a hard lump to swallow for Brad to make this post as it was for Brian... as it was for me but... it is what it is and it can't anything other than that it is what it is..... I personally am a Stihlhaed at heart also but I got that way by a continued succession of top quality products, my allegiance was earned not given and I will call them like I see them and if this is what I can expect from Stihl in the future..... I will look elsewhere.

I buy my OPE for QUALITY period... I don't care what it costs or who makes it, if Stihl wants to keep my business they are going to have to do better than this. If I wanted to buy junk I'd get me a Wildthing and save some money.

Good point but how many here outside of AS is going to take their saw apart to see "bad" castings? That saw could run for 2500 hours, it will be ported anyway. That is no excuse though, although it won't put a dent in Stihl's sales numbers for the mentioned reasons.

I understand your point, and agree about the warranty period. There are plenty of smart people at Stihl and I'd think they've crunched the numbers to assesss the warranty risk in moving production of these parts. But, when a process is uncontrolled and defects are allowed to exist, that is manufacturing culture and problems will most certainly arise from such a culture. I guess we will see!

Known defects are not allowed to exist in the auto industry. If they are at all significant, they become recalls. That cylinder has some machining irregularities. My accord trans had some machining irregularities and I got a new one out of warranty. I didn't even have to take it apart myself:cheers:

You know as well as I do that defects are allowed to exist in the auto industry...they are only fixed when money becomes an issue.

Its simple economics gents. Presumably Stihl sells the bulk of its products to pro`s. A nice looking cylinder means shag all. Paying a hundred more for the priviledge means they`ll go elsewhere.
Its happening everywhere.

A lot of shooters on here. Sako for instance. The 75 was a lot better than the 85, the p94 `finnfire` is superior to the quad.
It just costs more to produce them, price goes up so they sell less units. Drop them from the lineup and make a similar product cheaper, sell the same amount of units.
Stay in business.

OK, Brad GOT a cylinder, which at present has no functional defects. It is well below the quality buyers expect from Stihl.
It may, or may not, exhibit functional defects once it is run in a saw.

It is a low quality part, and that is all it is. Badly casted, badly plated, and it hasn't even been run yet?

Please tell me the percentage of Stihl customers that know how to judge quality at this level.

As I asked, please read the thread, the part has two or more tanks of gas on it, not to mention the tuning run at VB...

Dolmar 7900w for sale

Hehe, crapolla I have been fussing about this for a year or so, but Brad got the pics to prove.
BTW, if not familiar with close up photography -those were great shots. Job Brad.

Good Post

If I remember correctly, manufacturing is not your field of expertise, so maybe we should view your judgement as that of a layman.

Think about this Brad, You have built yourself a mighty big soapbox here on AS, So you may want to take care with what you say.

Points well made and well taken. I agree with you entirely.

Back