Crazy Idea or what? You decide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Risky business I'd have to say - You've got to put out a ton of $$$$$ up front. With a barrel of oil right now half what it was back in July, you just don't know if wood prices will stay by the time you get the product up there. I know there's no good hardwood in Alaska, not like here, but, with oil dropping as fast as it has, will people continue to pay that kind of money for it?

Risky business I'd have to say - You've got to put out a ton of $$$$$ up front. With a barrel of oil right now half what it was back in July, you just don't know if wood prices will stay by the time you get the product up there. I know there's no good hardwood in Alaska, not like here, but, with oil dropping as fast as it has, will people continue to pay that kind of money for it?

That is the problem that I am having now.Oil prices dropping.
We are selling oak firewood for 60 bucks a rick now, 10 more than last year.Everyone is complaining about the increase, and when I tell them with the fuel prices going up, they reply with," What?gas prices are now almost what they were last year at this time."
They dont understand that the price for fuel was much higher over the summer when the wood was being harvested.

Well, that is a wild idea man! I'm not sure what the rest of the country is doing, we are selling Oak $160-$200 a cord here in KS. But I am in central KS and have to cut and haul it in. Just to give you an idea of the wood cost. Obviously it would get cheaper with a load that large.
Finding someone with that much sitting around might be a chore as well! I could get it, but it would be green.
The other thing, I have loaded and unloaded five cord out of a U-Haul van, I don't really ever want to do that again!!
I think i need to get a u haul van and come see you!

Hey AK....would the hardwood really have to come from the lower 48? Are there any hardwoods in NW Canada...NWT, Yukon, B.C....?

Latest posts

Back