crosscut saw ident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i just bought this sweet old crosscut saw and was wondering if anybody has seen one like this. i have not seen one with the hand guard loop on one end. the handles are mint condition. no chips or cracks found in the blade. and still sharp enough to hurt! blade is about 5ft long.

crosscut.jpg

NWCS said:
i just bought this sweet old crosscut saw and was wondering if anybody has seen one like this. i have not seen one with the hand guard loop on one end. the handles are mint condition. no chips or cracks found in the blade. and still sharp enough to hurt! blade is about 5ft long.

crosscut.jpg

I'll bet you paid a pretty penny for such a nice saw!!

oh i did pay good money for it. will be having an old fellow that lives by me sharpen it up and i might try using it at a few of the competitions if its not too short for the job.

I have stacks of them. Its in very good condition, dont sand the sides of the teeth only the body of the saw and then use carosine (spelling) on it take it and cut some before you take it to him and have it filed try to get all the rust off of it first

It also looks like it was cut down or broke on the end (on top) it looks fatter than the bottom

im just eager to do some cutting with this baby, i want to get it somewhat polished up and in solid working condition, might even sell it if i get a good offer.

Thats a sweet looking little bucking saw. Would be nice far long distance trail work. I keep this old bucker from the wife's grandfather for sentimental reasons. Its an 8 footer. Used to carry some 7 footers into the Selway-Bitterroot on fires and for trail work. A sharp one with a "GOOD" operator can make fast work of most logs. Ah memories.....

Vintage Simonds Royal chinook crosscut saw

I have been researching this old saw with not much luck. Does anyone have any info on this saw? It's a Simonds Royal Chinook #513 @ 8 1/2 foot long (102") And has the # 395 handles that I believe are original to saw. I believe it's a western pattern falling saw, made after 1922 and before 1941. Can anybody confirm the age? It has the Made of Simonds Steel Badge, I don't believe they used this untill after 1922 and during the war years I believe the logo changed to simple block lettering. Is there a market for these old logging tools? Any info/comments would be great. Thanks...Jon

A saw that nice would fetch $$ from a collector, probably upwards of 500.00, but why sell it? That's a real piece of history you have there. Too big for most trail crews, as it would be difficult to hump long distances. Looks like it never got much use.

And I know this is old, but some college teams use those to race.

Saws like that, in decent shape, are tough to find. I have spent months of my life sanding and filing old rusty, short toothed ones to get ready to be race filed.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

crosscut.jpg

Am I the only one that sees just a red X and no pic ????:monkey:

Am I the only one that sees just a red X and no pic ????:monkey:

Ed, you're seeing a red X because his post was 3.5 years ago and he's long gone.

The Simonds saws I believe are older, than more modern crosscuts like Disston, Economy, Adkins, or Silver Streak. I agree, that's a rare piece and should be worth good money. I paid $75 for the last 7-foot Adkins I bought and $100 for a NIP 6-foot Silver Streak with new handles.

Latest posts

Back