CS-346 "maiden" voyage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Kirbos

Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs
Reaction score
Ok, maiden voyage for me....
  • Bought it on eBay (just over $200 including the ride).
  • Replaced the plug. Not that it needed to be replaced, but for $3 - I'll know how many miles are on it.
  • Replaced the 6 point spur drum with an Oregon PowerMate drum and 3/8-7 rim.
  • Removed the EPA mandated performance killer from the muffler and tuned accordingly (yes, I put the little rubber screw cap back).
  • Cut down an Oregon S62 (3/8LowPro/0.050) chain to 57 drive links. (It's a 16", 56 link bar, but the 7 point rim needs the extra length.)
  • Filed the rakers to 0.025". (I took at least 0.010" off of them. It is a brand new chain. I wonder if the shallow rakers are part of what makes it a "safety chain".)

Well, it cranks. I had the 16" bar all but buried in the beech that I scrounged up last weekend and it performed as well as can be expected for a 33cc saw. It did perform better on the smaller stuff where only about 2/3 of the bar was actually cutting. This is wood that is already seasoned 2+ years. I don't see this as a main line saw, so I may leave the 16" bar on it and only cut small stuff with it (10" dia. or smaller). If/when I need a new bar for it, I may put on a 14", 0.325/0.050, but the 16" is what I already have.

The biggest problem that I had with it was forgetting that it's a small 33cc saw. If I let the bar do the cutting, it's fine. As soon as I "get into it", the clutch starts slipping out.

Overall, I am happy with it. Like anything in life, if I operate within its design limitations, it will perform as it should.

Sounds a lot like mine (imagine that!). I too tend to ask more of it than I really should. It's a nice, light and handy saw.
Where'd you find a drum and rim to fit? I've only ever found spurs for the CS-346. I'd prefer a drum and rim if I could find.
Personally I don't think I'd try to push it to .325, think that would be a bit much for it.

Enjoy.

@sundance

Rim & Drum Drive
Rim : Oregon #18720 (3/8-7, SM7)
Drum : Oregon #544679X (SM7 sprocket, comes with 1/4-9 rim)
Bearing: HK1010 - 10x14x10mm (ID x OD x Length)

You'll need the bearing. Amazon, $10 or less.

The stock bearing is a 10x12x10. The Oregon drum needs a bearing with a 14mm OD.

@sundance

Rim & Drum Drive
Rim : Oregon #18720 (3/8-7, SM7)
Drum : Oregon #544679X (SM7 sprocket, comes with 1/4-9 rim)
Bearing: HK1010 - 10x14x10mm (ID x OD x Length)

You'll need the bearing. Amazon, $10 or less.

The stock bearing is a 10x12x10. The Oregon drum needs a bearing with a 14mm OD.

Thanks Bobby. Doesn't show for the 346 but appears it works.

Back