CSM oil and water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retoid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've noticed that some people using chainsaw mills have an additional bar tip oiler and some have a water feed.
I am curious what the advantages of both are?

My 2100 seems to guzzle bar oil and stay lubed pretty well while milling.
I have been thinking about the grandberg bar tip oiler add-on for the alaskan mills, but before I buy it, I would like to find out if water would be a better solution.

Thanks

Oil is primarily for lube, and some cleaning and cooling.
Water is primarily for cooling and cleaning. I don't think it does much lubing.

In terms of cutting faster, when cutting some types of trees which have a lot of resin and gum up the chain, water keeps the chain cleaner than oil and does help cut faster.

When milling Aussie hardwoods I would not replace the oil tip with just water. I started seeing extra bar wear when I tried that last year.

thanks guys, I think I am going to fabricate a makeshift water feed to test out milling NW red cedar.

Yesterday I finally got back to milling after a delay with a long hot summer, multiple other distractions, and a stuffed right shoulder that I have given up on.

I only milled one log, a 8' long (Queensland box) hardwood log. It was about 25" at the butt end dropping down a couple of inches in the middle and the flaring out to about 32" at the top where there was a union of about 4-5 branches. It had been propped up on a couple of cookies in the sun for about 12 months waiting to be milled and turned out to be the driest, and one of the hardest log I have ever milled, especially the areas around the branch crotches. To cut the bigger slabs it was taking 1.5 tanks of gas and the chain was getting very hot and stretching so I plugged the water cooling in and that cured that problem. Being so dry it was also the dustiest log I have ever cut up and noticed the water cooling helped reduced the sawdust significantly.

Looks like water on the tip might be good when milling seasoned logs.:) I'l give it a try on these walnut logs i cut last fall.Mark

I use about 3 times as much as I would for a sink of dishes. I have a friend that showed this to me and he used straight dish soap, it worked so good but I wanted to dilute it more. I would guess about 1/8 bottle of soap to a gallon of water.

Dish soap should help the water stick to the bar better.......I guess :)

I put dish soap in the water when mixing weed and brush killer, it sure sticks
to the leaves better, than with out it.

Dish soap should help the water stick to the bar better.......I guess :)

I put dish soap in the water when mixing weed and brush killer, it sure sticks
to the leaves better, than with out it.

+1 I use it too when applying my "organic" pesticide ( Chili pepper and garlic) too my veg garden. It defo stays on better. Until it rains anyways. :cheers:

I use it when wet sanding and find it keeps the sandpaper cleaner so it cuts better.:) Mark

great advice all around, thanks guys.

Anybody have any pictures of their makeshift/fabricated water feed system for CSM's?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back