curious what wood can be used still part green

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of years back we got caught short, and had to resort to running some greenish stuff.

White ash at 3-4 months did fine.
Green Sugar maple did fine but not the greatest.
Red oak with 6 months on it sucked.
Green Sassafrass is worthless.
Best was Black Cherry that had been bucked up and piled for a couple months.

I was nervous about the creosote monster, and ran the brush every other week or so.
Build up was just slightly higher than normal, and nothing to dismiss, but workable.

If you have a good amount of Green, see if you can work a trade with someone for seasoned stuff.

Be dadgum carefull and do the math twice when cutting standing dead.
They have a mind of thier own quite often, and usually conceal rot where you don't expect it.
Thump 'em with the Axe and listen before deciding what is and isn't sound enough to plan a hinge.;)

Good luck man!

Couple of years back we got caught short, and had to resort to running some greenish stuff.

White ash at 3-4 months did fine.
Green Sugar maple did fine but not the greatest.
Red oak with 6 months on it sucked.
Green Sassafrass is worthless.
Best was Black Cherry that had been bucked up and piled for a couple months.

I was nervous about the creosote monster, and ran the brush every other week or so.
Build up was just slightly higher than normal, and nothing to dismiss, but workable.

If you have a good amount of Green, see if you can work a trade with someone for seasoned stuff.

Be dadgum carefull and do the math twice when cutting standing dead.
They have a mind of thier own quite often, and usually conceal rot where you don't expect it.
Thump 'em with the Axe and listen before deciding what is and isn't sound enough to plan a hinge.;)

Good luck man!
THANK YOU,LOT GOOD INFO THERE,ALWAYS GLAD TO HEAR WHAT HAS WORKED....+1

Here is an example of what I would grab right now if I needed the driest wood possible because I was out, or what I had was too green to burn. Couple shots of winged elm, couple shots of pine, then some nice dogwood, a dead leader mixed in with two live ones. All taken on my walk this morning closeby. Notice lack of bark. None of that stuff is pretty "trophy" looking wood, but all of it would burn after being cut/split/stacked inside near the heat source for a day or two in advance. Heck some of it, the narrower pieces, would burn right now I bet, pretty good, too. Plus, as you can see, this is all "use your smallest saw" wood. The narrower the diameter the better when doing "just in time" woods firewood harvesting.

Attachments

• IMG_20140121_102704.jpg
    IMG_20140121_102704.jpg
    876.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20140121_102817.jpg
    IMG_20140121_102817.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20140121_102951.jpg
    IMG_20140121_102951.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20140121_103003.jpg
    IMG_20140121_103003.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20140121_103111.jpg
    IMG_20140121_103111.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Ash seems to be the only thing I have found that burns decent when wet. Get a load of ash and while your burning that, cut and split other stuff real small. A lot of woods will dry pretty fast if cut small enough. If you have plenty of ash available then don't worry about the other stuff and just keep burning that.
BTW. Your not the only one here that has had to burn green. I'd bet 95% of the people here have had to do it at least for a while at one time or another.
Hell I have to do it every year.:laugh:

Here is an example of what I would grab right now if I needed the driest wood possible because I was out, or what I had was too green to burn. Couple shots of winged elm, couple shots of pine, then some nice dogwood, a dead leader mixed in with two live ones. All taken on my walk this morning closeby. Notice lack of bark. None of that stuff is pretty "trophy" looking wood, but all of it would burn after being cut/split/stacked inside near the heat source for a day or two in advance. Heck some of it, the narrower pieces, would burn right now I bet, pretty good, too. Plus, as you can see, this is all "use your smallest saw" wood. The narrower the diameter the better when doing "just in time" woods firewood harvesting.
THIS IS AWESOME!!! you went above and beyond replying to this post.......thankyou friend.........

Ash seems to be the only thing I have found that burns decent when wet. Get a load of ash and while your burning that, cut and split other stuff real small. A lot of woods will dry pretty fast if cut small enough. If you have plenty of ash available then don't worry about the other stuff and just keep burning that.
BTW. Your not the only one here that has had to burn green. I'd bet 95% of the people here have had to do it at least for a while at one time or another.
Hell I have to do it every year.:laugh:
thank you!!

You'll see in the pics, all the dead wood that is down is up off the ground. that's the trick, suspended in air, that stuff is dry. the still standing will be dry at the extremeties, the tops and branches. And speaking of the branches, like on that larger pine, handfulls of those up to an inch, cut to size and shoved in forst absolutely WILL get the other wood going, which in turn will get your questionable half dry good hardwood going so you can stretch it out. give it the air and no damper until the greenest stuff has stopped steaming at least. shouldn't take long.

You are basically leapfrogging very dry wood to get the greener stuff going, or just using the recent scrounged by itself. And the stacking close by the stove deal really works. I keep three days ahead inside, even with my seasoned wood. That last toasting by the stove really works.

You guys that say green wood won't burn are dead wrong.. I've seen and done the ash and hack berry trick many many times. Green hedge logs overnight do wonders as well. I brush my chimney every year and why an 8 inch flute I still couldn't fill a coffee cup. I've cut ash and hauled it home unsplit and tossed it right in within an hour.

If you cut and split ash and it freezes 4 times it's moisture content is the same as ash from the previous year that was left over.

In this neck of the woods about the only wood that can be burned "green" is birch. You can go out today and cut standing green birch, split it and throw in the stove, you will be amazed how it burns. This time of year the sap is down and the tree is all but "freeze dried", produces little if no creasote. Don't think it puts out quite as many BTU's as seasoned birch but will definitly heat your house and keep you warm, produces real good coals.

Back