Custom Bar. Anyone ever try making their own chainsaw bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW: Before I retired, I used to travel to Japan frequently, and had a Japanese friend that was in the tree moving business, a highly lucrative business over there. To cut the roots back to make a root ball small enough to move the tree, (some trees were over 60 ft tall),
he was using Shindaiwa 575 chainsaws, equipped with titanium bars and special chain. I can't remember what he told me the saws cost, but the setup was incredibly expensive at the time.
Wear on the saw and accessories, was not an issue for him, because he was making big dollars (yen) buying, and moving the trees all over the country.
My point in telling the story, is that there are (or were), specialty bars available, at a price.

That looks plain awesome. There have been folks on the site over the years that ran down guys that talked about building a bar. The absolute awesome work you did proves it is possible.
Thats why I had to do it. People are just afraid sometimes I guess. But I also understand not everyone has the tools at hand either. I've got mills, carbide tools, and all the goodies.

Could always spot weld one together too, it'd be way less work, and a less expensive laser quote too. Spot welders are pretty cheap.

I only have a very limited experience with spot welders. All I every did was thin gauge sheet metal. Are they effective on thicker steel such as what you used?

Back