Customer to Stihl salesman "I need to cut Submarines out of the ice, what do ya got?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Pretty dang useful tools these chainsaws are.

[video=youtube;JFalY7wXm-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFalY7wXm-I[/video]

Most know Edmond Hillary as the first person to climb Mt. Everest - few know of him going to the South Pole.

It was in some ways Waay...more complex and complicated than climbing Mt. Everest....like hidden ravines.

Reason I write...is his ship got frozen in ice...Hillary came out with a simple axe and started smashing the ice.

I don't remember it working....just that he did it....what a man with a strong sense of determination..!!

I believe him and his whole crew did make it to the South Pole and back again...and for what...just to say you did it..!!

If I remember right...they had 1 or more diesel transporters..to carry supplies..always breaking down..in -50° temps..!!
- - - -
Also a polar bear kept stalking them...and kept getting closer...they finally had to put it down with a rifle shot.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
its would be funny if one of them fell in :hmm3grin2orange:. (ps but was all right and didn't die )

- - - -
Also a polar bear kept stalking them...and kept getting closer...they finally had to put it down with a rifle shot.
J2F
Not at the south pole he didn't :msp_unsure: We cut snowmobiles out of the ice with chainsaws and axes :msp_tongue:

[video=youtube;ZpMJYL1CE5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpMJYL1CE5o&feature=share&list=UUN-7JKT0tpoZYIiJDNNIg8A[/video]

I don't know what you saying...I wasn't there..thankfully...but they did have to put a polar bear down..tooo close.

Oddly black bears and brown bears (grissly) hibernate while polar bears do not...the winter is their feeding season.
They have it rough in the summer season and swim miles to cold water to prey on just about anything esp. a seal..!!

Also something I didn't know until recently...a grissly bear can't climb a tree like a black bear can..(like a squirrel ..It can)
J2F

Last edited:
The dammmm bears have been coming down as far south as my way in Illinois lately during the winter. We already have the dammm mountain lions from the south.

What the hell else it coming? :rock:

There are no polar bears at the south pole! Not a single one of them. It would also not fit into their feeding sheme. Polarbears main food source are seals and their young. Because the north pole is only a large ice plate they raise their young there. The problemis they must always keep their ice holes ice free to get back into the ocean to their feeding grounds. The south pole on the other hand is solid land.

Last edited:
No polar bears at the South Pole and Sir Edmund went to both the north pole (polar bear country) and the south pole (penguin country). Seals are native to both the north arctic and south arctic. Hilary was the first person to summit Everest and travel to both poles. :msp_thumbup:

No polar bears at the South Pole and Sir Edmund went to both the north pole (polar bear country) and the south pole (penguin country). Seals are native to both the north arctic and south arctic. Hilary was the first person to summit Everest and travel to both poles. :msp_thumbup:
OK...I'll admit I was "maybe' wrong...:foot-in-mouth:...LOL..!!... don't know if polar bears even exist at the South Pole..??

But I did read it in a book about Edmond Hillary...maybe it was the North Pole about shooting the polar bear..
that was continually stalking his party and just got 'too close for comfort'...and a rifleman put it down

I just can't remember exactly...I was more into the adventure..the bear was a side issue...but brought up in the book.
.....and it must have been 20+ years ago that I read the book...soo far back I can't remember the name...google it..!!
Old Age Sucks..!!
J2F

Last edited:
I don't know what you saying...I wasn't there..thankfully...but they did have to put a polar bear down..tooo close.

Oddly black bears and brown bears (grissly) hibernate while polar bears do not...the winter is their feeding season.
They have it rough in the summer season and swim miles to cold water to prey on just about anything esp. a seal..!!

Also something I didn't know until recently...a grissly bear can't climb a tree like a black bear can..(like a squirrel ..It can)
J2F

You heard some bad info there, a grizzly can and do climb trees.

You heard some bad info there, a grizzly can and do climb trees.

Hi Bob! Made it back to VA and found time to run a loop up White Oak Canyon to Hawksbill, up the AT to Skyland, around to Old Rag and back to White Oak. No bears were sighted (though I have seen bear and Coyote there before).

Hi Bob! Made it back to VA and found time to run a loop up White Oak Canyon to Hawksbill, up the AT to Skyland, around to Old Rag and back to White Oak. No bears were sighted (though I have seen bear and Coyote there before).

Bear have made it at least to Fredericksburg and the coyote are all the way down the Northern Neck, from what I've heard.

The dammmm bears have been coming down as far south as my way in Illinois lately during the winter. We already have the dammm mountain lions from the south.

What the hell else it coming? :rock:

How bout I send ya some wolves?

Coyotes and fox where I live 30 miles east and a tiny bit south of Atlanta. I saw a skunk walking up the road at 7:30 AM yesterday. The black bears tend to stay up along the Appalachian Mountain area but occasionally they will sneak 40 miles south and into some north Atlanta cities causing excitement. Bear warning signs and bear warnings when bicycle riding from a friend who knows the area up there. I have seen a bobcat while riding gravel roads and mountain bike trails in Elijay, GA. Translated that is the southern edge of the Appalachian mountains, well technically the bottom of the Blue Ridge Mountains which is part of the Appalachian Mountains. Apple country and fall tree leaf site seeing country. Back on topic no submarines sited within a 100 miles of where I live or thick crusts of ice.

Latest posts

Back