Cut a little cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboyd351

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Did some cuttin' today. Friend of a friend had a big cherry that has been down 2-3 years. He cut the part he could manage and wanted us to finish the job. Went there Friday with my Husky 460 and a Poulan/Craftsman 3700. Got a few rounds cut, but only had about an hour and really wasn't enough saw.
Put a new Skip chain on the 24 inch bar my Solo 680 is wearing and went back today. That took care of things!
cherry and solo.jpg

No snow! I'm a tad jealous, I was kicking the white stuff around today cutting.

Nice I used some cherry the last hour of my turkey smoke a few weeks back it was fantastic!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I like tha Solo a lot! Bought it when that Beech in my Avatar blew over during a tornado along with about 5 other trees over 24 inches DBH. Needed a bigger saw to deal with that.
The Solo doesn't have really fast chain speed, but it has plenty of grunt to chew right through big wood. This cherry was a good example. This partuicular tree had very twisted grain, in addition to being pretty hard wood. I was using a Husky 460 and a Poulan/Craftsman 3700 on this tree at first - had to go home and get the Solo.
Made life a LOT easier!

Excellent pics and great job! How many cc's is your Solo running? What an awesome deal on that Cherry...I had some split & stacked cherry start to go punky in little over a year...off the ground!
I love the smell of it in a fireplace...never tried it as meat smoking material...still caught real bad on this pecan smoke...it's got my wife eating outta me mitts! lol;)

Oh, yeah BTW...I've noticed guys talk about going to "skip tooth chain" in big wood & bars over 25" & larger saws. Is it a better choice than just blasting through big wood with straight chisel...if so why??

Thanks
Reg

I've noticed guys talk about going to "skip tooth chain" in big wood & bars over 25" & larger saws. Is it a better choice than just blasting through big wood with straight chisel...if so why??

Thanks
Reg

I like the skip tooth better on longer bars because it takes a lot less time sharpening... I bought a full comp chain when I bought the 25" bar for my 044. The saw didn't bog down too awfully bad but it sure was a pain sharpen.
A skip chain is also good to get on longer bars if you are down in power. Less cutters going into the wood at one time = less horsepower to pull.

I like the skip tooth better on longer bars because it takes a lot less time sharpening... I bought a full comp chain when I bought the 25" bar for my 044. The saw didn't bog down too awfully bad but it sure was a pain sharpen.
A skip chain is also good to get on longer bars if you are down in power. Less cutters going into the wood at one time = less horsepower to pull.
Thanks...just trying to come up with an alternate game plan other than running straight chisel all the time...although I've got a friend who says he can sharpen safety chain like a RAZOR! Hmmm...lol

Excellent pics and great job! How many cc's is your Solo running? What an awesome deal on that Cherry...I had some split & stacked cherry start to go punky in little over a year...off the ground!
I love the smell of it in a fireplace...never tried it as meat smoking material...still caught real bad on this pecan smoke...it's got my wife eating outta me mitts! lol;)

Oh, yeah BTW...I've noticed guys talk about going to "skip tooth chain" in big wood & bars over 25" & larger saws. Is it a better choice than just blasting through big wood with straight chisel...if so why??

Thanks
Reg

Thanks Reggie. The Solo is an 80cc saw. I've only started using the skiptooth on this saw recently, but it does seem to let the chain pull easier and clear out the cut better. This wood was pretty hard and this particular tree had some really twisted grain. The first day when I was using the Husky 460 and Poulan/Craftsman 3700 with 20 inch bars and full comp chain, the bar/chain was getting so hot it was starting to smoke, even though it was using oil at the same rate as mix. I was probably pushing a little hard, the chains were only about 1/2 sharp, and the bars were totally buried, but nonetheless they were both struggling. That's why I came back with the Solo and the fresh skiptooth chain. Really made a difference.

To give you an idea of how twisted the grain was, when we went to split them, my buddy had put one of the rounds thru the splitter 4 or 5 times, all the way through and the whole round was still hanging together - a lot like gum, but tougher for the splitter to go thru. Most of the smaller cherry splits pretty well , but not this one!

[ Husky 460 and Poulan/Craftsman 3700 with 20 inch bars and full comp chain, the bar/chain was getting so hot it was starting to smoke, even though it was using oil at the same rate as mix. I was probably pushing a little hard, the chains were only about 1/2 sharp, and the bars were totally buried,

You have been a very bad boy!

Thanks Reggie. The Solo is an 80cc saw. I've only started using the skiptooth on this saw recently, but it does seem to let the chain pull easier and clear out the cut better. This wood was pretty hard and this particular tree had some really twisted grain. The first day when I was using the Husky 460 and Poulan/Craftsman 3700 with 20 inch bars and full comp chain, the bar/chain was getting so hot it was starting to smoke, even though it was using oil at the same rate as mix. I was probably pushing a little hard, the chains were only about 1/2 sharp, and the bars were totally buried, but nonetheless they were both struggling. That's why I came back with the Solo and the fresh skiptooth chain. Really made a difference.

To give you an idea of how twisted the grain was, when we went to split them, my buddy had put one of the rounds thru the splitter 4 or 5 times, all the way through and the whole round was still hanging together - a lot like gum, but tougher for the splitter to go thru. Most of the smaller cherry splits pretty well , but not this one!
Wow...that's really something: "refusing to be split!" lol
Check out some of these nice hedge & locust rounds in my thread today...hmm...feeling kinda sleepy all of a sudden...later

imagine sharpening a 72" with a full house ripping chain. i have to sharpen this every weekend. trust me, a 25" with full house is peanuts.

What's a skip chain? Isn't that something you cut stumps out with? I do know Randymac likes em about as much as I do. CJ
You funny! :rolleyes:
For cultural enrichment, I got a couple full-skip 20" loops for my 455r Husqy. Didn't time anything, but bucked some blowdown boxelder about the same speed as full-comp, both semi-chisel. Comparable with OEM full-chisel "Vanguard" chain; that chain transitions abruptly to dullness, even in clean wood- common chisel chain shortcoming.
The skip chains seem to toss some BIG chips- impressive to watch, to me anyhow.

Forgot to mention- black cherry is mediocre firewood and leaves lots of unburnt coals. Go with the smoker wood, totally.

imagine sharpening a 72" with a full house ripping chain. i have to sharpen this every weekend. trust me, a 25" with full house is peanuts.
Ummmmmmmm as far as i know full house is only offered in .250 pitch carving chain. I am guessing you meant standard sequence or full complement?

I have a 36" I run on a ported 2186 and I use half skip chisel and absolutely love it!

Ummmmmmmm as far as i know full house is only offered in .250 pitch carving chain. I am guessing you meant standard sequence or full complement?

I have a 36" I run on a ported 2186 and I use half skip chisel and absolutely love it!

Full house and full comp are referred to as the same thing which they are. Our 084 flush cutter has a 72" which i file at least once a week. It takes forever but it's the setup we need for what we do. Once you file a 72" full house everything else seems extremely easy.

Back