Cut Wood ALL day with some GOOD guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
Well the BIL and I decided today would be a good day to drop some trees around his place. MustangMike (UncleMike) is always game to run saws so we enlisted him, Nephew #1, 20 years old 6foot3inch of muscle came by too for some added muscle. Gotta say I do love my Husqvarnas but I tell you what the more I run those two ported Stihls of his the more I like them. That Smittybuilt 046 was about the only saw there that didn't blink a eye at the shagbark Hickory we cut. The Masterminded 362cm handled all the ash we could throw at it. We decided that when we could we would run the 362cm to try and get a few more thanks through it after getting it back from Randy. That saw is fast, but man nothing I have or any of his other saws touches the torque of that ported 046. My BigBore 362 Husky did good in that shagbark, but that 046 is a beast. Gotta say its nice to go and cut all day with family. Like my Uncle told my wife and her sister, "When your working alone, its work. But when your working with friends, its fun."

The saws got a good workout today, and so did we, and it was great working with everyone. I did most of the felling from ground level, but Matt did all the climbing and cutting off the ground. Thank goodness he is so nimble and good at that stuff, because I wouldn't do it.

We dropped about a half dozen dead Ash trees, most between 18" & 20". Several of them were near the road & powerlines so we had to rope them just to be safe. The wind was gusting (T storms moved in right after we were done, so no pics), so you don't want any of those trees going the wrong way. I sure like those Maasdam Rope Pullers, Matt & I each have one, and we used both of them.

The real tough tree was a great big Shag Bark Hickory, with a 8' tall 5' diameter hollow trunk. Matt handled that one, mostly with two of his Huskies (50/55 & 362/372). But on the biggest leg of that tree, he used my 046 with the 24" bar, and it still was almost not long enough (but he made it work). I'm glad he is so good at working off the ground, because I am not. The Smittybilt 046 ran very strong on the big stuff.

But for most of the cutting, Matt & I took turns with the Masterminded 362. I've been busy with so many projects that don't involve the saws (since I got it back from Randy) that I was anxious to put some fuel through it to sync the M-Tronic to the port job. We put about 4 tanks through it, and the saw ran great and kept getting stronger, but I'm sure the chain could use a sharpening about now.

For bucking, it doesn't much matter what the saw weights, but for everything else, it is nice to have lighter weight saw "with an attitude".

It was great working with everyone, we collectively make a good team, and Matt's BIL will have a lot more firewood, most of it ready to burn this year.

Nice, I thought I heard some ported saws:) What side of the river were you on, I'll see you guys at Bob's GTG, hopefully I'll have a couple of new toys by then.

Not fair to compare a 362 big bore to them stihls I've ran many of them and they were all horrible. They'll cut but are no where near what a 372 is... I'd say those big bore kits produce less power than a 365.

Not fair to compare a 362 big bore to them stihls I've ran many of them and they were all horrible. They'll cut but are no where near what a 372 is... I'd say those big bore kits produce less power than a 365.

No one was trying to compare a ported saw to an unported saw, but any time you want to compare an unported 372 to one of my unported 044s, just let me know. The reason I got the 046 ported is because before it was ported it would not out run the 044s even though it had 175 psi and was OEM.

Matt's saw runs very good and is very reliable, but he knows OEM is a little stronger. Matt has a lot less money into his saw than it would take to buy a good condition OEM, and it gets the firewood cut quite well. Conversely, his 50/55 is a little beast for it's size.

No one was trying to compare a ported saw to an unported saw, but any time you want to compare an unported 372 to one of my unported 044s, just let me know. The reason I got the 046 ported is because before it was ported it would not out run the 044s even though it had 175 psi and was OEM.

Matt's saw runs very good and is very reliable, but he knows OEM is a little stronger. Matt has a lot less money into his saw than it would take to buy a good condition OEM, and it gets the firewood cut quite well. Conversely, his 50/55 is a little beast for it's size.
10-4 just wish someone would've told me about the big bores before I did 3 of em... send me that 044 I've got to remove 12 pines that the 044 would shine in...

Back