cutter count...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I find it funny, but I was just sharpening my 42" full-skip milling chain I made for my 661... this bar has 135 DL, but only 45 cutters. My 32" full skip has 105DL, 25 cutters.
And my 24" full comp has 84 DL, 41 cutters... I used to find it odd that my 42" bar only takes me >5 min longer to hand file than my 24", but I've never counted the cutters until tonight.

If the number of drive links is divisible by four (e.g 60, 72, 84, etc.) it is called a ‘perfect chain’. It will have even numbers of right and left cutters, and uniform spacing. Otherwise, there will be an extra cutter, space, etc.

Some people assume that skip-tooth chains have half the number of cutters, but they have 2/3 the number: I had to count them to prove this to myself.

Philbert

If the number of drive links is divisible by four (e.g 60, 72, 84, etc.) it is called a ‘perfect chain’. It will have even numbers of right and left cutters, and uniform spacing. Otherwise, there will be an extra cutter, space, etc.

Some people assume that skip-tooth chains have half the number of cutters, but they have 2/3 the number: I had to count them to prove this to myself.

Philbert
It also depends who spun up the chain:)
several of my 24" used to be 30+" chains that broke or got a section rocked beyond what I felt like filing out & so I saved what I could and spun it into smaller loops... one in particular was the remnants of three chains, and has most of the loop is of mostly filed away full comp Stihl RM & the rest is almost full tooth sections of full skip that was originally square ground chisel & now round filed. Two very different cutter chains, but It actually cuts extremely well.

That surprises me, but if it works, it works! How far down do you file a chain before you determine it's shot?

It surprised me too!
Everybody else said It would never work, for dozens of different reasons... Lo and behold, it cuts straight, easy & just as fast and smooth as any other chain I've put on my saw.
I personally go till the teeth start breaking off, or the top plate is beyond 3/4 of full width.
or till I rock a bunch of cutters badly enough to not want to file it all out, then I toss it in the scrap bin, or break it down & spin it into other loops.
I sometimes have a single chain on my saw that was the remnants of 6 others that matched in some way or another, and that one that the only thing consistent is the DL pitch & gauge.
I will make more frankenstien chains now that I know it works:)
I'm stingy, Creative & dumb enough to try something just to see what happens, lol.
That surprises me, but if it works, it works! How far down do you file a chain before you determine it's shot?

way too much time figuring the cutters and drive links.
If the drive link is divisible by 4 then you are correct, it will make a nice even chain with full comp.
IF the drive link count is divisible by 6, then it will even out with full skip.
If you are curious, half skip uses 5 for the sequence.
Some configurations make ya wonder... but on a full comp chain having two in a row really don't seem to be noticed.

I find it funny, but I was just sharpening my 42" full-skip milling chain I made for my 661... this bar has 135 DL, but only 45 cutters. My 32" full skip has 105DL, 25 cutters.
And my 24" full comp has 84 DL, 41 cutters... I used to find it odd that my 42" bar only takes me >5 min longer to hand file than my 24", but I've never counted the cutters until tonight.
I think you should count your 32" 105 driver chain it should have 35 cutters, skip chain has 1 cutter for every three drivers. full comp has 1 cutter for every 2 drivers.

Back