Cutting around uncoated power....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its nice to have power co's that care! around here it takes two weeks for a service drop and they won't do any trimming unless its touching the lines...

more important things to discuss here other than him spiking a trim job might be the reason....

Your are correct sir. Thanks for the enlightenment. I think I was just trying to stir the pot a little but missed the obvious.

like everyone else said, dont do this one, its over your head.
this pic isnt really revelent (its of a crane removal) but i like it

That should drive the point home. Where did you get that one? I have never seen it before.
from another forum a few years ago, that is the short version, the long version (which I can't find) shows the body getting fully engulfed in flames and burning for quite some time....

Admittedly, I didn't read all of the posts, but I gotta say this:

I work around live power, sometimes up to 690kVa (690,000 volts/amps) every day. It can and will kill you if you give it the opportunity.

If the "uncoated" (non-insulated) line is over- or under-built, meaning that there are two or more distribution systems on the same pole line, then you stand the potential of shorting out the two (or more) phases, sending excess voltage down the line, blowing transformers, switches, relays, capacitors, household appliances, etc. Replacing all of that equipment will be very costly.

BTW "coated" or insulated line is generally used for sub-surface (buried) or low-voltage aerial local distribution, meaning that the non-insulated line you are dealing with is probably at least 2700 volts and uses step-down transformers to supply the homes with 240VAC.

So, if you're not comfy with cutting around these lines, don't.

If you doubt my credentials, you can check out my website at www.mpcsite.com.

I believe the ISA offers a utility worker cert course.

STAY SAFE.

Latest posts

Back