Cutting in the wind. When do you guys call it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My two cents..............ultimately it comes down to each guys comfort level and experience. I have some guys who are wind warriors and others who head to the crummy when it starts picking up. You can't push a guy to go past his comfort zone in the wind.

One thing to consider is we don't have eyes in the back of our heads, when it starts picking up, you don't know what's happening behind your back. Snags and trees in general, sometimes have eyes. Case in point. There was a crew of fallers working in a setting, the wind picked up and they all decided to head for the crummy. The bullbucker gave them grief and called them chicken ****'s. He said fine, they'd have to sit in the crummy and wait for him, 'cause he wasn't stopping. So they did. They watched him get nailed by a tree from behind. Dead on the spot, nothing they could do.

Not to completely go off subject but what is that big black blob in the middle of the pic. Is that just a fault with your camera or was there some thing on the lens or is it something all together different.

Old timer- If I knew it all I wouldn't be here. I just wanted to pose the question with my pic as evidence. As soon as the tree chaired, I ran through the list of should ofs. You often come off as a #### in your posts. Thats fine, I'm sure I come off as a #### as well, and my sarcasm does not come through the internet well. Maybe I've missed it, but I've never seen pics of your work. Thats fine as well. I don't need too. Really nothing fancy in those cuts. You have your way, I have mine. I'll critique your work if I see it. I'm no cowboy, but I'm no doorknob either.

Wind is blowing steady 20-25 today with some real good gusts. When my truck was getting pushed around on the highway out to the job I knew I was not cutting today.

Good story coastal- Stuff shakin out of the tops scares me the most. You have some control over the tree.

The black spot is an evil spirit that continues to haunt me. Its name is debt.

What, you've never had a tree 'chair on you? You've never made a mistake? Never did something really dumb, got away with it, and learned something from it? Most of us have done all that. You must be special.

You remind me of the soldiers that, after the shooting stopped, would run onto the battlefield and bayonet the wounded.

Sure I have.
However, I haven't split a money tree in years.
Which is why I offered my advice.
Some guys are too sensitive to just take it for what it is though, gotta get pissy, use the ignore feature...every forum has them.

Old timer- If I knew it all I wouldn't be here. I just wanted to pose the question with my pic as evidence. As soon as the tree chaired, I ran through the list of should ofs. You often come off as a #### in your posts. Thats fine, I'm sure I come off as a #### as well, and my sarcasm does not come through the internet well. Maybe I've missed it, but I've never seen pics of your work. Thats fine as well. I don't need too. Really nothing fancy in those cuts. You have your way, I have mine. I'll critique your work if I see it. I'm no cowboy, but I'm no doorknob either.

Never look to make enemies here. My bad for starting it.
downsized_0617111526a-1.jpg

0610111317_0001.jpg

downsized_0506111140.jpg

downsized_11021015581.jpg

1020101340_00011.jpg

10221012061.jpg

Wind is blowing steady 20-25 today with some real good gusts. When my truck was getting pushed around on the highway out to the job I knew I was not cutting today.

Good story coastal- Stuff shakin out of the tops scares me the most. You have some control over the tree.

The black spot is an evil spirit that continues to haunt me. Its name is debt.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for the new sig line Bitz! :cheers:

My two cents..............ultimately it comes down to each guys comfort level and experience. I have some guys who are wind warriors and others who head to the crummy when it starts picking up. You can't push a guy to go past his comfort zone in the wind.

One thing to consider is we don't have eyes in the back of our heads, when it starts picking up, you don't know what's happening behind your back. Snags and trees in general, sometimes have eyes. Case in point. There was a crew of fallers working in a setting, the wind picked up and they all decided to head for the crummy. The bullbucker gave them grief and called them chicken ****'s. He said fine, they'd have to sit in the crummy and wait for him, 'cause he wasn't stopping. So they did. They watched him get nailed by a tree from behind. Dead on the spot, nothing they could do.

Forgot to mention, sometimes, in regards to the wind warriors, it has to be called for them. Otherwise they might keep going! If a greener guy happens to be working with a guy who can handle the wind it can also be a bad scenario. I've found the guy looks over at his partner, sees him working still, doesn't know better or feels pressured to keep going too and ends up ****ing things up or worse.

Good post. We lost a guy in the strip next to me the same way. We'd given up because the wind was against the lead and it was starting to get to where we couldn't hold them. We were packing out through his strip and he was still cutting. We hollered at him and he just laughed and gave us a whole ration of crap for being light-weights and that he'd just cut a couple more before he bagged it. He only got one more tree. A big fir went sideways on him, clipped a snag, and that was it.

Good post. We lost a guy in the strip next to me the same way. We'd given up because the wind was against the lead and it was starting to get to where we couldn't hold them. We were packing out through his strip and he was still cutting. We hollered at him and he just laughed and gave us a whole ration of crap for being light-weights and that he'd just cut a couple more before he bagged it. He only got one more tree. A big fir went sideways on him, clipped a snag, and that was it.

Right back at ya, Bob. Yeah, it's the ****'s when that happens. I think we've all been guilty of that at one time or another, I know I certainly have! Too much pride to call it myself! I know better now.

Why? Think I'm bullshyting you?

I don't know if you are or not. And if it sounds like I'm calling you out...I am. We might be a little more inclined to take some of your advice if we knew it came from first hand experience. You know how it is around here...lots of wannabes and armchair experts. Pictures of skidders and cold decks don't really tell us much.

Most of us out here don't cut hardwoods much but we get them occasionally. A few pictures of you showing us some of your technique might be valuable. I'm always up for learning new stuff.

So, post up a few pictures of Oldtimer doing some falling. Or not...your choice entirely.

I don't know if you are or not. And if it sounds like I'm calling you out...I am. We might be a little more inclined to take some of your advice if we knew it came from first hand experience. You know how it is around here...lots of wannabes and armchair experts. Pictures of skidders and cold decks don't really tell us much.

Most of us out here don't cut hardwoods much but we get them occasionally. A few pictures of you showing us some of your technique might be valuable. I'm always up for learning new stuff.

So, post up a few pictures of Oldtimer doing some falling. Or not...your choice entirely.

Dang. Busted. Total poser, that's me. I lifted those pictures from a photobucket search.
And besides all that, this crew here takes serious offense at being told or shown anything.
And besides that, the whole world knows an east coast "logger" could NEVER show a west coast logger anything he didn't already learn in kindergarten.

Forgot to mention, sometimes, in regards to the wind warriors, it has to be called for them. Otherwise they might keep going! If a greener guy happens to be working with a guy who can handle the wind it can also be a bad scenario. I've found the guy looks over at his partner, sees him working still, doesn't know better or feels pressured to keep going too and ends up ****ing things up or worse.

I kind of did that once. I was looking around at the units thinking it was too windy for anybody to be cutting, and there he was. The guy was out there alone and cutting. The wind was howling. I walked over and asked where everybody else was..."Oh, they went home." I asked why he didn't go home too. "I need the money." It was time for me to give a lecture. I pointed out that everybody else had gone home because of the wind, wasn't that a hint? Then put in the clincher, yeah, your family needs you alive to bring in the money in the future too. He thought, put his saw on his shoulder and left. The wind was really howling that day. I think I left too.

Dang. Busted. Total poser, that's me. I lifted those pictures from a photobucket search.
And besides all that, this crew here takes serious offense at being told or shown anything.
And besides that, the whole world knows an east coast "logger" could NEVER show a west coast logger anything he didn't already learn in kindergarten.

Now, now. No need to bust a gasket. Just show us a few pictures of yourself cutting in a logging environment. Videos would be good, too. As soon as you get over your hissy fit, that is. :laugh:

I kind of did that once. I was looking around at the units thinking it was too windy for anybody to be cutting, and there he was. The guy was out there alone and cutting. The wind was howling. I walked over and asked where everybody else was..."Oh, they went home." I asked why he didn't go home too. "I need the money." It was time for me to give a lecture. I pointed out that everybody else had gone home because of the wind, wasn't that a hint? Then put in the clincher, yeah, your family needs you alive to bring in the money in the future too. He thought, put his saw on his shoulder and left. The wind was really howling that day. I think I left too.

Ya done good.

Now, now. No need to bust a gasket. Just show us a few pictures of yourself cutting in a logging environment. Videos would be good, too. As soon as you get over your hissy fit, that is. :laugh:

I am not a logger. I am a Starbucks Barista posting from "occupy wall street" in New York.

You owe me a living, rich fat cat.

Latest posts

Back