Cylinder bolts came loose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc_man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
was running the husky 353 today and it ran great then it suddenly went lean so shut down rite away. I rebuilt the top end probly about 15-20 tanks ago.

Any how do you guys think i shouldbpull muffler and check cylinder? Should i do a leak teat toake sure i never damaged the base gasket? Mabe replace gasket?
what would the torque specs be for a cylinder. Mabe i better torque it down thos time.

After you guys rebuild a saw do ya go back over it to double check bolts after few tanks. I never put lock tite on them they had some colored stuff on bolts when i put in. Mabe i should have.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Blue loctite

Did you do any mods?
No never did. I was gonna mabe try modding it after the fire wood cutting all done. I wannted to run it for season to see how the hutzle top end held up.

Do you think it would have damaged the base gasket.

I like to replace Husqvarna screws with Stihl whenever possible because they don't have locking teeth like the Stihl screws have. I don't use washers because they give the screw heads a slicker surface than the softer aluminum of the cylinder and can't bite down to hold.
Be careful when using loctite because it likes to squeeze out when torquing and can end up where you don't want it. I prefer to use carb cleaner and a q-tip to clean the cylinder bolt holes of any oils so the threads are completely dry. The clean dry threads seem to hold as tight as a bond with loctite.

Maybe...easy to find out :)

I've had a few 350s that had bolts that were too long....and bottomed out before they sealed. Stock that's not a problem. Take cylinder off and check it...make sure it's OK then post pics :)
Bolt were fine, not too long. Just what ever crap was they put on them never held up. Will have to put blue lock tite on.

Probly wont have much time till tomorrow or friday to check gasket. Got a load of wood to deliver tomorrow after i get up.

If i do pull the cylinder to check it for the few buck the gasket is might as well replace or measure the gasket and see about doing a gasket delete. I got .043 thow clearance in cylinder. Not sure how thock a gasket is.

Gasket probably around .018 or so :)
Well mabe i will do a delete then after i check thickness. And clean up ports and open muffler up a bit then. What brand of gasket glue is best.

Well mabe i will do a delete then after i check thickness. And clean up ports and open muffler up a bit then. What brand of gasket glue is best.

In canada our supply is kinda limited. Three bond is my favourite, followed by Yamabond #3 (i think).

One good practice any time you do a rebuild is to re-tighten cylinder/head bolts after a few heat cycles/

In canada our supply is kinda limited. Three bond is my favourite, followed by Yamabond #3 (i think).

One good practice any time you do a rebuild is to re-tighten cylinder/head bolts after a few heat cycles/
7ae07bdf6be5e73640f9b36948d51366.jpg

I used this stuff couple years ago to seal up the fuel and oil tanks on the remington and sems to be holding up. Think it would work for base gasket.

I used this stuff couple years ago to seal up the fuel and oil tanks on the remington and sems to be holding up. Think it would work for base gasket.

I would stay with a liquid gasket... Not being able to see it, that stuff may be too thin/thick

3abcf3fcba16c3735ea3118cb196dbda.jpg

I tore it apart quick. gasket looks ok to me. What do you guys sugest. Gasket delete or just put back together. This is the saw i wanted to pkay around modding so may be good time to do so.

If I remember my theory correctly, a base gasket delete without raising the ports will gain you some torque at the sacrifice of some horsepower. Not entirely sure on that. If you do delete, make sure you pressure test it

Loctite the bolts and have at it. Or do as suggested and upgrade to the stihl bolts. If you need a reliable saw I have a modified ms170 you can borrow. LOL :D

I put saw back togeather and got a chance to run a few tanks through it today. All seemed to work well. I put some blue locktite on the threds before reinstalling bolts. Will double check them when i clean saw tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back