da Belgian and ....da Beast !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OKKKKK, back to topic.
I did a test cut yesterday with the 084 in some small logs....I don't know what size of wood is capable of slowing this saw down, really.
What a powerhouse !!!

I checked (measured) also max rpm at WOT, which turned out to be 11.600 rpm. I found it already a bit too high actually, judging from the scream, should I tune it down a bit ...?

Awwwwwwwwwwww you seem to be liking that big saw, cool beans I say. Hoss has a 084 that runs awesome. He spanked my 880 the last we were out playing with the saws. I threatened to cut off his discounts off at the shop, now my 880 wins every single time,LOLOLOL

As Lake said 11,600 should be fine. Keep that chain sharp and find some real wood Belgian, that saw isn't made for small stuff for sure!!

Belgian, Thanks for the drawing. My sprocket doesn't have the big notches. My IPL shows a different spur gear that has a spring attached that is driven by a small notch in the sprocket. I don't know if mine is newer or older than your drawing. I need the spur gear and spring. Does anyone know if these parts are available? Thanks for your help in advance.

Thanks Lake. The generous sharing of your knowledge has helped me multiple times. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

My 84 is like the one begian posted. but here is the one you are asking about I think from my IPL's.
084clutcharea-1.jpg

Last edited:
Belgian, Thanks for the drawing. My sprocket doesn't have the big notches. My IPL shows a different spur gear that has a spring attached that is driven by a small notch in the sprocket. I don't know if mine is newer or older than your drawing. I need the spur gear and spring. Does anyone know if these parts are available? Thanks for your help in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STIHL-084-OIL-P...9713382QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20538QQcmdZViewItem

Is that the one he needs ?

Last edited:
Yes. That picture shows my saw's configuration. Do you know which of these setups is newer?

The small notch version is the later. The drum with the big notches is no longer available. If you have one and need to replace it with the later version, you have to update the pump drive also.

The he$$ with the 084 where is the 2008 stihl calendar roland was talking about posting.

Nice looking saw Roland.

The small notch version is the later. The drum with the big notches is no longer available. If you have one and need to replace it with the later version, you have to update the pump drive also.

bummer, mine has the one with the big notches. The sprocket is still in great shape but I might as well go after the ebay offer then...

attachment.php

The he$$ with the 084 where is the 2008 stihl calendar roland was talking about posting.

Nice looking saw Roland.

I tried to upload the pdf file (983kB), but noticed the size of files is now limited to 300 kb :( , so don't know how to share the new stihl hotties with ya.

PS. miss July with the leaf blower is already spoken for by yours truly...yup :blob5:

Ok I was just giving you a hard time.

Maybe Ultra can post it somewhere everyone can get access to. Have a good christmas.

I tried to upload the pdf file (983kB), but noticed the size of files is now limited to 300 kb :( , so don't know how to share the new stihl hotties with ya.

PS. miss July with the leaf blower is already spoken for by yours truly...yup :blob5:

I have the real thing but it is getting a bit torn around the edges ;) Send me the file via "yousendit.com"...

bummer, mine has the one with the big notches. The sprocket is still in great shape but I might as well go after the ebay offer then...

attachment.php

That sure is one clean unmolested saw you got there belgian.

Maybe we ought to start a real saw 084 club. That way we can keep the member numbers down to a minimum. :hmm3grin2orange: unlike the other club here where just anyone can go purchase one new.;) :laugh:

Two years ago around christmas time I got myself a very clean 084AV...but sold it later on to a german guy that wanted to do some racing with it.

There had been an empty space in my shed for quite some time, ....untill christmas 09.

I did find another, nearly identical saw (1989), for a very decent price. Some little scars, but nothing dramatic, and the engine is nearly broken in. Just replaced the starter handle with an elastostart, as she ripped nearly my fingers off when trying to start her. She came with a 28" bar but I have a brand new 32" that will fit nicely.

Christmas time = 084 time !! :givebeer:

084bsmall.jpg

084csmall.jpg

084fsmall.jpg

Latest posts

Back