Damn‼ A bit nippy today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a the tallest one you been up on?

Oh hell, I've been on 500 ft towers... but I ain't gonna' climb that far... I'm too damn old and fat :D
Really, most of what we do is private point-to-point stuff... rarely needs to be over 150 ft, occasionally up to 250 ft.
And, 'round here anyway, two-way repeater antennas almost never get put on towers anymore... the top of many coops sit in the 200-250 foot range which is plenty high enough for the newer, more powerful systems. That also reduces cable loss because the repeater can be placed up there also (usually inside the head house)... cable length is often reduced to less than 50 feet. We ain't a "climbing service"... we climb to install and maintain the stuff we sell.

addendum; The only difference between a 50 ft tower and a 500 ft tower is how long it takes to get to the top... fallin' off produces the same result once you climb past 30 ft.

Last edited:
Hmm... 10 deg this AM. Prolly going to be colder tomorrow. And I'm in and out all day, under buses, fielding road calls. Warm up, cool off, warm up again. Good time to catch a cold.

Ya' know?? It's kind'a funny, a lot of farming operations got away from two-way a few years ago thinkin' cell phones were a viable replacement. The problem with cell phones is they're mostly point-to-point and you have to dial a different number for each person, or unit. With two-way radios ya' just grab the mic and speak... and everybody, and every mobile unit with a radio hears it. During planting and harvest, when there may be a dozen, two dozen, or more pieces of equipment running everybody gets the same message simultaneously. The cell phone just didn't work out; the last couple of years most of them have come back to two-way... they're just faster, handier and everybody knows what everybody else is doing. Most of 'em even install a base radio in the farmhouse kitchen so mama can call 'em all in for lunch... she just grabs the mic and hollers... CHOW‼

We've got 101 two way units in the fleet. It's amazing how many vendors are trying to convert us to cell based units. First off, school bus or transit bus plus cell = no-no. Second, no cell coverage areas can be a problem here. But that doesn't stop the marketing guys. I educated a cell based GPS service salesman about two way radios and what's available a couple of weeks ago. He added up the initial investment, divided it by his monthly subscriber cost, and realized a system that lasts for 15+ years pays for itself in nine months and allows communication as well as location and tracking. Plus I have the flexibility to control how the radios are programmed and how airtime is allocated. One thing I advised against? Don't buy the repeater. I've got enough to do without that responsibility on my shoulders.

The only difference between a 50 ft tower and a 500 ft tower is how long it takes to get to the top... fallin' off produces the same result once you climb past 30 ft.
Seems to me you've got more time to think about the landing.

Love it when people talk about how cold it is in their neck of the woods and bring up GLOBAL warming. For 37 straight years, the average global temperature has been above average regardless that some regions experience below average temperatures. This is a fact, not science fiction made up by some liberal to push their agenda. The cause of the warming can be debated till we are blue in the face however

Not to many repeater towers around here anymore. Dad used to have one for farm in. We did more cell tower work. Also had to replace a few lights during shut off and painting with a big MIT. A local TV tower is 800 foot of tower and 200 foot of antenna that's the tallest one I've been up that's up there. By the way to stay on topic damn its cold!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Nonsense There is data that shows in general there is a cooling effect over last decades. ..Antarctica is not some regional or a small local comparison in some bodies neck of the woods . It is a fact there is more ice than ever before . Another fact is global warming is a hoax invented by liberal elitists to rid countries of their wealth its a form of wealth distribution just follow the money . Its so bad they even had to rebadge the name and call it climate change for a better public image .arm yourself with knowledge

addendum; The only difference between a 50 ft tower and a 500 ft tower is how long it takes to get to the top... fallin' off produces the same result once you climb past 30 ft.
Unrelated to radios, but a contractor friend was good enough to bring over his roof jacks and help me remove an old chimney from my steeply pitched roof. He grabbed one of the concrete blocks and said "start counting out loud, one thousand one, one thousand two..." I started counting, he threw the block and stopped me at about one thousand two when it hit the ground.
"That's how long you'll have to think about it if you fall off this f..ker" Good point!

Love it when people talk about how cold it is in their neck of the woods and bring up GLOBAL warming. For 37 straight years, the average global temperature has been above average regardless that some regions experience below average temperatures. This is a fact, not science fiction made up by some liberal to push their agenda. The cause of the warming can be debated till we are blue in the face however

And when you look at it in relation to say, oh, the industrial revolution... We should've seen "climate change" a hundred years earlier. Whoops!

We've had 4 ice ages we're aware of, which of those was man made?

We're on a ride. We don't impact the weather. It's extremely arrogant to assume we have that much power.

it's undeniable! we add to global warming every time we fart, which in turn melts the polar ice caps! which also makes the melting colder breezes come to our local area to chill our bones ! after all this we are in deep **** when the poles melt and send us all into a flip/flop spin to make west the new south.... ????? or maybe worse yet we could go to bed only to wake up where Russia was? lol

Seems to me you've got more time to think about the landing.

Some people claim ya' die of heart failure long before ya' hit the ground.
LMAO... my question is... how could ya' possibly know that??

And... and... the "man made" global warming thing is the biggest load-o-crap ever put on the people.
The second biggest load-o-crap is the idea we can do anything about it‼

And when you look at it in relation to say, oh, the industrial revolution... We should've seen "climate change" a hundred years earlier. Whoops!

We've had 4 ice ages we're aware of, which of those was man made?

We're on a ride. We don't impact the weather. It's extremely arrogant to assume we have that much power.

I didn't say we were the cause. Look again at what I said. I wrote that for 37 years in a row temps have been above average and that's a fact. I then when on to say the cause is debate able.

But if you think it's arrogant to assume we have that much power, I suppose you think there the ozone layer is just fine?

I actually studied the "hole(s)" in the ozone layer quite a bit back in the early 90's. Funny thing about that "crisis" too - it'd been discovered in the 1950's, and the phenomenon was largely unchanged in those initial reports vs what was all over public awareness (back in the 90's) at the present time. That doesn't strike you odd?

But when you look deeper into the ozone layer holes, there's another problem: they're not really there. It's a dynamic layer of gas which doesn't really have holes. It has thinner spots which are perennial in nature (reoccurring annually), and their dissolution coincides directly with the spring in the Southern Hemisphere. See, ozone is incredibly unstable and is constantly breaking down on it's own. It doesn't need any help from people, and what we do way down here on the surface has virtually no impact to that level of the atmosphere.

There have also been more than 4 ice ages. The data I've seen says 5 major ones and many other smaller scale ones. At no point did I say anything was man caused. But if your reasoning skills are as good as your research skills I can see why my statements are causing an issue with you.

There have also been more than 4 ice ages. The data I've seen says 5 major ones and many other smaller scale ones. At no point did I say anything was man caused. But if your reasoning skills are as good as your research skills I can see why my statements are causing an issue with you.
Regardless, Al Gore has made a few billion dollars off of the subject. I wonder if he would ever volunteer a comment today? The high today was 15 F and thus far, December has been colder in Nebraska than it has been in 30 years.

So, I guess if global warming means anything, maybe January will equal what happened in 2012. I hope so. I brought in 20 truckloads of firewood then and my logger friend brought in 21 flat beds of logs for the mill.

Right, because you were there with your notebook making records of them? :rolleyes:

You seem to think I was addressing something you said or didn't say, and that's not the case. Who's reading skills are in question here?? :chop:

I wrote that for 37 years in a row temps have been above average and that's a fact. But if you think it's arrogant to assume we have that much power...

That's the great thing about facts... they can be manipulated, and because they are in fact, a fact (pun intended) they're true.

Oh, and by-the-way, we have not been above the "average" temperature, we've been above the "mean" temperature... the two ain't the same. The "average" is the number they come up with each year by "averaging" data from around the globe (i.e. average global temperature for the year), and then they compare that to the "mean" of the data set (i.e. exactly halfway between the lowest single year and highest single year in the total data set). This is extremely convenient for "global warming" advocates because during the late 1800's we we're coming out of the cooling period known as "The Little Ice Age"... meaning the early instrumentation data (more about that in a moment) lowers the "mean" considerably. Why do they use the "mean" rather than the "average"?? Well... that's simple... the "average" doesn't support their bogus claims‼

Here's a little known fact. That global "mean" that the 37 years is based on... well... that global "mean" is base on only about 150 years of data. That "mean" is taken only from the era of shared instrumentation (reliable, widely available thermometers), basically from about 1880 until now. The real arrogance is in the formulation of that "mean"... how can just 150 years be considered accurate when the earth has been orbiting the sun for 4,500,000,000 years??

But if you use the accepted scientific data for the Holocene Era (the Era we live in, the last 12,000 years, since the end of the last glacial age) to formulate a global "mean" temperature it is a fact that we are well below the "mean"... and have been well below the "mean" for the last 4000 years. Yes, there has been a warming trend over the last 50 years or so... but that trend is less dramatic then several others during the Holocene. Besides, if there wasn't warming and cooling trends there wouldn't be any "mean" to formulate... would there??

That's the great thing about facts... they can be manipulated, and because they are in fact, a fact (pun intended) they're true.

Right, because you were there with your notebook making records of them? :rolleyes:

You seem to think I was addressing something you said or didn't say, and that's not the case. Who's reading skills are in question here?? :chop:

"We've had 4 ice ages we're aware of, which of those was man made?" Never said anything was man made. Simply said the cause for our current warming trend is debate able.

Latest posts

Back