Damn back spasms!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was feeling a little tightness in my lower back yesterday while giving the OWB its final cleaning of the year. Worked through it but it wasn't getting any better. After lunch went out to mow and realized I could only shuffle my feet so showered up and took it easy. Tried to self medicate with some beer last night to no avail but couldn't get dressed on my own this morning and could hardly move. After a trip to the ER and the maximum amount of Valium the hospital will give, I can at least move. Now trying to keep the pain down with some oxy but its not easy due to my high tolerance to pain meds. I came in here tonight to feel better but after seeing how much work some of you got done today with the sunshine on your backs I realized just how damn much back spasms and most things on TV suck!

My back controls what gets done, or doesn't, not the weather. Today it said no splitting wasn't going to work. Then said no loading logs into the truck. It Was ok to stack my small rounds stack. Got about a cord of them stacked today. Then had to take some whiskey for an anti inflammatory.

Been there, done that

No fun, not no way at all. I would rather have a entire leg not working (done that as well) than a pissed off spinal column. Real fun is when you are trying to get up and every single one of the muscles in your back (there's a bunch) fires to full power. You basically collapse into a whimpering heap :ah:

ibuprofen

If anyone wants to be done with back spasms and is willing to read a $12 book, spend 30 to 60 min. a day doing exercises until you are out of pain (few days to few weeks) and 10 min. per day for continuous maintenance, I can tell you how.

Downside, no one can do it for you or me. No $20K operation, no $52 Chiro. appt., no $? pill.

My back controls what gets done, or doesn't, not the weather. Today it said no splitting wasn't going to work. Then said no loading logs into the truck. It Was ok to stack my small rounds stack. Got about a cord of them stacked today. Then had to take some whiskey for an anti inflammatory.

====

I hear ya, got the same problem....

I don't get any financial gain from this, no.

The book is Somatics, by Thomas Hanna

I have had enough back pain, with enough intensity, over a long enough period of time that I forgot what it was like to feel normal. I would like to make sure others know this is available and doable.

This is a little info. I had posted elsewhere in answer to a specific question, I think it might be of use here:

After 35 years of hard work/tree work and dealing with a lot of major pain I now think that our bodies are capable of working well until the day we die-without pain.

I used to go to a Chiro. three times a week and wrap myself from waist to arm pits with ace bandages just to go out and make it through a day of work. I have used sports massage, acupuncture, osteopathy, stretching, years of yoga, and even changed my career for a time on the advice of doctors. Non of this was a solution for the pain or workability of being able to use my body long term.

I finally came to a book called, Pain Free by Pete Egoscue and as long as I did the exercises faithfully (about 45-60 minute routine for me) I would be in great shape to work and not have back/body pain. Used that for about 8 years.

Now I am using the info. contained in a book called Somatics by Thomas Hanna. My routine is about 10 min at least once a day, twice is better especially when I am working hard and long days. I would call these movements rather than exercises. And the result is a pain free body where movement is comfortable and easy in a surprisingly short period of time.

If anyone needs more info. I would be happy to help.

Hear is a different post I did at another place and time that may fill in some gaps.

I feel like I have a hand full of things to share that others may not be aware of, or, I through experiences in life might have a fair amount of dexterity around. The idea of having a body that works to do what you want is one of those things.

I have not dealt with what you describe specifically but if it were happening to me today I would expect (as an example) to be able to be out of the woods or totally free of pain within hours or a day . Of course I started out with trying to ignore my bodies muscle issues and ‘resting’ through it. And next, being a part of our modern civilization, I tried turning responsibility over to someone else for a stated fee. I probably have spent between 50 and 100K through the years on different doctors and modalities looking for a way that I could continue doing what I wanted, and avoid putting in personal effort, and still function without pain. Non of that worked for me. To anyone who can get away with it, my hat is off to you - today.

As a result of my journey in life I have finally arrived at the idea of starting with the end in mind. Namely that I want a body that works and functions for everything I want to do up until the time of my death. Can we find that anywhere in the world? Absolutely, there is as much evidence of that in various places and cultures as there is that I am old and broken down at X age and cannot do Y anymore.

The most straight forward information that I have found is contained in a book called, Somatics by Thomas Hanna. There is a bunch of generously given free info. on a website, blog, YouTube vids. etc. by a Somatics practioner named Martha Peterson
essential SOMATICS - Pain Relief Through Movement. She also does Skype sessions which is what I would do as a part of first learning what would give me results QUICKLEY.

One thing I would say to describe the basic premiss of Somatics is that our bodies muscles are engaged only by a signal from our brain. Through various means including one time injuries and daily continued use our brains can give a signal for our muscles to engage and then ‘forget’ to turn off. Somatics then is the process of going through various movements with awareness of turning off the signal for the muscles to engage.

I call these movements because they are easy to do and can be done even when in extreme pain. ( I have done them for 30 minutes at a time and 5 or 6 times a day to work through Sciatica that had me out of work for a couple of months and in so much pain I could not sleep.) The goal however is to take your body through the various stages of ‘freeing up’ in a matter of weeks or couple of months spending 15 to 30 min. per day. Maintenance is then 10 min. per day through life.

Just to be clear to anyone who reads this I love it that I have access to western medicine. I would do that first if I had a bone sticking out the side of my leg or a ruptured appendix. I think ruling out a medical issue is always a wise idea first.

If this sounds interesting to you, I would be happy to give any more info. or perspective I can.

I don't know many folks my age that doesn't have some kinda back problem. I have the same thing you're experiencing. I don't take meds for it but I do some stretches and such for it. I have been to a chiropractor for it and he gave me some exercises to do. They really help to stretch the the muscles. Best of luck with it. I know the pain.

We had planned to split and stack all of the firewood(about 9 cord) behind the shed over Memorial weekend.I planned it a week ahead because I saw the weather was going to be perfect for that.

The Monday before,I got back into a stretching routine that I had done years ago.It helped,really helped me be somewhat pain free.I really need to keep at it.

Bad backs really suck. My back is fused together with rods and screws so I no what the op is going threw. Once you hurt it bad enough you will never be the same. So if its just a muscle pull the best thing is rest. You don't want to keep pushing it to you heal because you don't want to cause permanent damage. I love harvesting wood but as another person said the weather doesn't dictate when I can cut my back does. OP good luck with your back and better health for the future.:msp_smile:

Just a fluke thing for me. It happened once when I was 17 and now once again at 36- although this round is much worse. Nothing brought it on that I could tell at least injury or work wise. Stayed home from work today and my job isn't even physical. Feeling better today and hoping to get back to it so i can hopefully reach my 100 cord goal for this year.

Just a fluke thing for me. It happened once when I was 17 and now once again at 36- although this round is much worse. Nothing brought it on that I could tell at least injury or work wise. Stayed home from work today and my job isn't even physical. Feeling better today and hoping to get back to it so i can hopefully reach my 100 cord goal for this year.

I blew 12 discs in my back in the 90s. docs wanted to remove them and insert steel rods, etc..I just couldnt do that. Within six months I was sorta recovering, but had lost all my..everything and living in my van. No pills, but started drinking too much from the pain, eventually had to just stop completely. That was just this side of a bad news problem...funny thing is, never missed it a bit, and wish I had never even started way back. Little digress there...I just dont like drugs at all, liquid or dry...I like my marbes all in the bag 100% of the time...

Went a few years back to work, off and on, but still having serious relapses. Got ahead again after some time with savings, had managed to buy a house, then BIG relapse, back went out, couldnt hardly stagger, let alone walk, even with crutches, then my right arm went paralyzed! Lost the house, sold all my good tools and guns, went through my savings..back to homeless. Still had the van. That camper van I had for years sure came in handy...arm eventually got better, but took two months to be able to do much of anything with it.

Finally after bumming around for some years, grabbing what little work I could get along with folks letting me garden for my food (and theirs) and a camping spot, managed to get a semi part time job that has a cabin and a meager salary, with the caveat when my back goes out..yep. spasms from the hot place..I have to lay out. Best I can do, but no steel in my back, and most days I am OK. Never got all my strength back, lost 2.5 inches in height and 25-30 lbs weight (thats a lot, I am a little guy anyway),BUT can still do regular work *most* of the time now. I am just greatful beyond belief.

Straight docs told me walker or wheelchair for life when the accident first happened, I decided to try and get better before surgery. Glad I did.

Freeking painful, like pass out painful for years, now maybe 4 weeks outta the year. But..thats reality.

I am maybe doing ten cord a year now, burn 4, gradually adding to the stacks.That's my totally screwed up, too old and crippled up wood stash right now. I could do more, just no time, other chores take precedence, plus access, can really only do wooding here in dry season, which is height of summer.

I *like* swinging the fiskars though, always make sure I have plenty of rounds handy for when I want to...

Moral of story, lose your back..you are so *&^%&&*%$%! screwed. Let it heal up and dont push it until it IS healed.

I stretch my back out a lot with an inversion table, and more fun, just grabbing branches around the woods and hanging and doing chinups. Best therapy I have found so far really for your back.

Good post zogger, Ha! reminded me I had a really nice inversion table 30 years ago too.

“Freeking painful, like pass out painful for years, now maybe 4 weeks outta the year. But..thats reality.”

Is that what you want to remain your reality?

I feel your pain bro!
Everyone’s pain is a little different, mine is more like someone stabbing me in the back with a long knife, and it hurts like hell to breath, much less try to move.

Interesting thing though, since I started back MX riding, I feel a lot better much more then before when I would try to just lie down and take it easy.
90% of the time when my back hurts, a good MX workout seems to limber me up (not always) but most of the time.

I think my muscles get too tight a spasm, and by riding it loosens me up.

Soma and Advil do wonders as well.lol
I can take codeine.

Hear is a different post I did at another place and time that may fill in some gaps.

I feel like I have a hand full of things to share that others may not be aware of, or, I through experiences in life might have a fair amount of dexterity around. The idea of having a body that works to do what you want is one of those things.

I have not dealt with what you describe specifically but if it were happening to me today I would expect (as an example) to be able to be out of the woods or totally free of pain within hours or a day . Of course I started out with trying to ignore my bodies muscle issues and ‘resting’ through it. And next, being a part of our modern civilization, I tried turning responsibility over to someone else for a stated fee. I probably have spent between 50 and 100K through the years on different doctors and modalities looking for a way that I could continue doing what I wanted, and avoid putting in personal effort, and still function without pain. Non of that worked for me. To anyone who can get away with it, my hat is off to you - today.

As a result of my journey in life I have finally arrived at the idea of starting with the end in mind. Namely that I want a body that works and functions for everything I want to do up until the time of my death. Can we find that anywhere in the world? Absolutely, there is as much evidence of that in various places and cultures as there is that I am old and broken down at X age and cannot do Y anymore.

The most straight forward information that I have found is contained in a book called, Somatics by Thomas Hanna. There is a bunch of generously given free info. on a website, blog, YouTube vids. etc. by a Somatics practioner named Martha Peterson
essential SOMATICS - Pain Relief Through Movement. She also does Skype sessions which is what I would do as a part of first learning what would give me results QUICKLEY.

One thing I would say to describe the basic premiss of Somatics is that our bodies muscles are engaged only by a signal from our brain. Through various means including one time injuries and daily continued use our brains can give a signal for our muscles to engage and then ‘forget’ to turn off. Somatics then is the process of going through various movements with awareness of turning off the signal for the muscles to engage.

I call these movements because they are easy to do and can be done even when in extreme pain. ( I have done them for 30 minutes at a time and 5 or 6 times a day to work through Sciatica that had me out of work for a couple of months and in so much pain I could not sleep.) The goal however is to take your body through the various stages of ‘freeing up’ in a matter of weeks or couple of months spending 15 to 30 min. per day. Maintenance is then 10 min. per day through life.

Just to be clear to anyone who reads this I love it that I have access to western medicine. I would do that first if I had a bone sticking out the side of my leg or a ruptured appendix. I think ruling out a medical issue is always a wise idea first.

If this sounds interesting to you, I would be happy to give any more info. or perspective I can.

====

Thanks for the info and the link. I plan to spend some time on that site.
Maybe some help/hope for me yet...Thanks again...

I feel your pain bro!
Everyone’s pain is a little different, mine is more like someone stabbing me in the back with a long knife, and it hurts like hell to breath, much less try to move.

Interesting thing though, since I started back MX riding, I feel a lot better much more then before when I would try to just lie down and take it easy.
90% of the time when my back hurts, a good MX workout seems to limber me up (not always) but most of the time.

I think my muscles get too tight a spasm, and by riding it loosens me up.

Soma and Advil do wonders as well.lol
I can take codeine.

You know for me riding my ten speed really helps my back pain! I'm missing l-4 l-5 like a few others on here! And like what Zog says the hanging from a limb really helps! try to do that every morning. even in dead winter. Have a specilal limb that is just at the right height for me. Would like one of those " Teter totter hang ups" but don't have the room in this funny old house.
Anyway do the best I can. Practically live in a magnet belt. I get the Franklin ones at Wal-Mart for $10, and also wear a weight lifters belt over that when I do wood! Also have the pills, Hydrocodone and low dose MS Contin. Cold Water Extract the tylenol out of the Vicodin! Real simple. Just Google " Cold Water Extraction."
Went to an excellent neurologist for ten years and he used to say for spasm first three days Flexeril then Zanaflex. Alternate hot and cold. Some days keep ice packs on the back all day. Just stuff them between Mag belt and back! Blue Goo helps at night to kill the pain so you can fall asleep! BioFreeze is good too. Just waiting on the German discs and trying to keep on keepin' on! Have about 14 cords out here now. Been splitting and stacking over a month!! Amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it added with some Faith. Best to you all!! Good Thread!!!

I was told and found to be true, that it's your stomach that will ease your back. Example: when carrying a round, flex the stomach. This will make the lower back work less. Same with swinging an ax.
Helps me anyway. I can do anything, except run and jump. The up down jostle will put me down for 10 day's.

Good post zogger, Ha! reminded me I had a really nice inversion table 30 years ago too.

“Freeking painful, like pass out painful for years, now maybe 4 weeks outta the year. But..thats reality.”

Is that what you want to remain your reality?

What, no!

I want to have the brain I have now in a 30 something year old undamaged body. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Short of that, sure, I can check out new stuff. I will investigate that somatics jazz.

Latest posts

Back