Damn E-Clips over the clutch drum 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are always a PITA to get off. On the 500i this morning I found one that was impossible. After I destroyed it, it finally let loose.

Never again. I'll get some extras and search for an E-Clip removal tool.

I took it apart, because the 500i was running a little hot yesterday. Might have been my imagination, but wasn't my imagination was the idle was high. No adjustment for that, but this morning after getting it back together the idle was normal and the saw ran like it was new. The high idle might be some anomaly from the way I use the saw. Just another thing to look out for and monitor.

I finally broke down and got a removal tool and little tray of different sized clips too. I always work them off or on with whatever I have on hand and it never ends well. Don’t know why I didn’t get the set sooner, they aren’t expensive and make the job enjoyable instead of frustrating and destructive

On the new stuff, cars, trucks, saws, tractors............they FU and change what worked well for years.

I have enough old stuff and tools I won't buy the new crap. F EM.

I'm going to try and make a tool. Still the difficulty is getting it up, over and past the machined edge. Others I have owned were just pressed, which made a bit of a ramp.

I'm thinking of an artificial ramp with a slice from a can beer. It's tight.

I finally broke down and got a removal tool and little tray of different sized clips too. I always work them off or on with whatever I have on hand and it never ends well. Don’t know why I didn’t get the set sooner, they aren’t expensive and make the job enjoyable instead of frustrating and destructive
What tool did you get?

What tool did you get?
It was a kit by channel lock that had the pliers with a setting to use either to spread or compress, and a supply of common circlips. Here’s a picture on Amazon of the pliers.

Attachments

• 079732AA-958A-45E3-8172-8829196AA964.jpeg
    079732AA-958A-45E3-8172-8829196AA964.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back