Damper Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to put a damper on my Wood Furnace pipe. It is 8" single wall pipe from stove to wall thimble (masonary chimney/flue). Should I place it close to the stove or up near the wall thimble? Is there any difference in mounting location?

I usually see them about halfway - My opinion on dampers though, is for an airtite type stove [door gasket, etc] a damper just gives creosote a place to collect. You can do all the air regulating needed with the vent on the stove. A lot of the leakier franklin or kitchen stove types can benefit from a damper.

I would put a manual damper near or midway at most. A baro I would put close to the chimney.

I have an airtite stove w about 4 ft of 8 in. single wall pipe to my clay lined brick chimney. I have a damper installed very close to the chimney. I can regulate the stove much better with the damper/ airvalves than with air controls only. (much more heat output from stove). The hotter the fire, the more(faster) the air will enter the stove. Hotter stove/chimney =more draft. Cooler stove/chimney= less (slower) air movement throught the air controls. I put the damper close to the chimney to keep as much of the heated pipe in the room as possible. The pipe below the damper is much warmer than above. Maybe this works for me because my chimney is larger than my pipe(6x12) Even with my air controls almost closed down, as soon as I close down the damper half way, I can feel the heat output increase! Just my personal experience. Brad

My stove came with a damper installed in the chimney adapter ring at the top of the stove. I've seen others with them installed mid way in the first section of pipe...................454

My stove is not airthight, that's why I am thinking about a damper. I have been tweeking the stove, trying to seal up the loading door and ash pan door, all in an effort to increase my burn time.

Latest posts

Back