Dang it got COLD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been decent here in the 30's for a week plus. Got a touch of snow tonight with the cold coming again this week. Been lazy n letting the propane furnace run and not burning 24/7. But, will be feeding fire this week.

Headed back indto the deep freeze for almost a week, highs in the single digits, lows negative single digits but with wind chill down to - 20 a couple times. I used the snow blower to clear a path to the wood shed and took the opportunity the past two days to pudt another 1/2 cord in the porch.

My neighbor cut me a load of seasoned thornless locust for a present for Christmas . I told him I was going to sawmill to get another load to make it through the winter. There he was with a trailer load split & stacked in the trailer. Just in time for the colder air moving in! Nothing like small town living!! And great neighbors...

8 degrees right now and that is going to be (according to predictions) the high for the next 3 days. Was high of 23 this afternoon. Very slight breeze so dug out the snowblower, plowed path to the splitting area - I have about 5 cords still sto split - and a path somewhere near where the log splitter was parked. Bit of probing with the shovel and found it, dug out and drug it by hand about 75' to where I needed it.
Put in a good hour making a pile of splits. Hoping no wind tomorrow so I can stack that and keep on splitting. Normally I split by hand but I am behind for orders coming this summer, need to get that green stuff split and drying.

11 degrees and a good breeze, snow drifting a bit. Dug paths out, didn't take much. That dry powdery snow had packed in the drifts solidly, could have cut blocks to build an igloo. Some shelter from the wind and I could work with back to that, ear flaps on cap and hoody up so stacked yesterdays take and put in another hour 20 minutes splitting another good pile. Looks like 4 and a bit cords to go.
That would make 11 cords drying. I'm a bit short on the order list so need to get the rear in gear as soon as the weather allows in the spring.

Months ago I purchased 4 heavy duty moving blankets to help insulate the home. Damn glad I did!!! There are large windows and a non insulated front door that greatly benefits from these blankets I hang before night fall. Likely going to get close to 20 below tonight. Last night I did not wake up and feed the fire. Took most of the day to get the living space comfortable.

Wow, can't really imagen that kind of cold -18 C (0F) in 2011 brought the country to a stand-still. We have this waterheating stove that works like a charm. The 20kW theoraticly is just enought to keep our 300m2 (3000 sq ft ) a nice 21C (70F).
dc4662d9e3e9d2d58b8069e74ec89c3c.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

It's not all that bad. Though at -20 or colder I try not to run equipment too much, it's just a real pain getting stuff warmed up.

My house stays warm just fine. R19 walls, r60 ceiling, r10 floor.

Tell you what fellas, I'd give an arm and a leg for some of the temperatures you guys are getting. I wore short sleeves to church today. I need a good hard freeze to harden the fields, for the sake of the livestock. Too much muck. Got up to around fifty today.

Your hard freeze is on the way. Here in eastern TN it will be down in the mid teens over the weekend. Snow on the way for today in the easternmost counties, and that includes mine.

You guys sure do have some cold weather...it is supposed to be in the 20's here for three nights. By Louisiana standards that's pretty cold, ha!

Latest posts

Back