Dang squirrels! Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's always drowning the rat turds, or do what Dad did, put the live trap in a garbage bag and shoot it full of ether......

Here in the country it's rat traps for the chippies and red squirrels, .17 MachII for the fox squirrels.

What is it with the wives of you guys. Squirrels in the attic, eating up all the bird food, destroying things around the house and wifie WON'T LET YOU DEAL WITH THEM.
Now if it were me I would let wifie deal with fixing every thing they trash and make her spend her make up money on the bird feed.

:D Al
Not sure what it is like around your house but around here the chipmunk is deemed to be "cute" so is protected. My wife feeds birds by putting some seed in a shallow container daily and enjoys watching the chipmunk and the tree rats stealing the food from the birds. Go figure.

Not sure what it is like around your house but around here the chipmunk is deemed to be "cute" so is protected. My wife feeds birds by putting some seed in a shallow container daily and enjoys watching the chipmunk and the tree rats stealing the food from the birds. Go figure.
Our cat thinks chipmunks are good to eat, at least the head:sweet:

What do you use to get rid of woodchucks living in the wood shed when you have pets roaming outside?

I use a 220 Conibear. Find the hole where they are going in and out, place the trap a ways back in the hole. If you're worried about the pet getting snapped, shove the trap further back and put something over the hole so the pet can't get to the trap.

Me, I just used a smaller conibear (110 - an old one with a weak spring) wrapped the jaws with padding and let the dog get too curious. One whap on the nose and she isn't curious any more.

I use a 220 Conibear. Find the hole where they are going in and out, place the trap a ways back in the hole. If you're worried about the pet getting snapped, shove the trap further back and put something over the hole so the pet can't get to the trap.

Me, I just used a smaller conibear (110 - an old one with a weak spring) wrapped the jaws with padding and let the dog get too curious. One whap on the nose and she isn't curious any more.
The only traps I have are ones I used for trapping pocket gophers when I was a kid. Got all of 15 cents for each one. Good old days back in the 50's.

What is it with the wives of you guys. Squirrels in the attic, eating up all the bird food, destroying things around the house and wifie WON'T LET YOU DEAL WITH THEM.
Now if it were me I would let wifie deal with fixing every thing they trash and make her spend her make up money on the bird feed.

Just what I was thinking. And at least one of these guys was a Marine!
Those of us who were in the Army don't let our wives boss us around.

(Whups - I'll be right back - wife told me to change a diaper and do the laundry......)

Where do they land & do they land in one piece or several?:laugh:
Neighbors yard, Oh and, their in one piece alright, there was one video I seen of somebody doing this, the dang squirrel thought he was at Cedar Point...kept coming back for more! :laugh:

Nice!!!

I use the 220 in a 5 gallon bucket for my "masked" vermin problem.

Sure beats waiting up and trying to catch them in the act then popping them.

Nice!!!

I use the 220 in a 5 gallon bucket for my "masked" vermin problem.

Sure beats waiting up and trying to catch them in the act then popping them.

8 woodchucks from one hole so far this year, and 3 from other holes. Those 8 were all adults, so I don't know what was going on in that particular den.......

I haven't had good results with the 220 in a bucket so I went to the dogproof traps. They work great, but they aren't catproof.

Around my house I wear the pants when it comes to wild critters doing damage. Just dial up Home Depot and show the wife the cost of new soffit the squirrels chew thru and let her know the carpenter charges 200 hundred a day for labor and it will surely take at least 60 days to get the job done. then have to start over when the squirrels start in on the new stuff.

Mother in law told Kare last night she needs me to come shoot a whistle pig digging by the foundation of her house. Even mom is smart enough to know you can't allow that stuff to go on.

I have a friend that likes Fly bait and coke for about all the 4 leggers like whistle pigs, skunks and possums. He keeps his dog on the leash for a while. the cat will use a litter box.

I'm getting a lot of good ideas from this thread. Squirrels have chewed the wiring on my wood hauling trailer twice now. I am dealing with them with a 16 gauge.
@VW Splitter Not many guys around here have a 16 gauge. I still have my 16 gauge Mossberg bolt action with a 2 shot clip that I bought used around 55 years ago. Got my share of deer with it.

Latest posts

Back