danner flashpoint 2 vs. wesco firestormer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmtlogging

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi, wanting to become a hot shot next summer and im looking at buying the right boots for it. any suggestions on the flash point 2 vs the firestormer? help on getting on a crew as a sawyer would help also.

hi, wanting to become a hot shot next summer and im looking at buying the right boots for it. any suggestions on the flash point 2 vs the firestormer? help on getting on a crew as a sawyer would help also.

Hi, another flathead valley guy, nice :rock:
most folks here will probably say Wesco, they're probably gonna be spendier but the quality should be a lot higher too, and if you have uber wide feet like me, the Danners aren't even an option

Nothing at all wrong with Wescos. I prefer either White's or Nick's, and Nick's cost slightly less, and they're both made in Spokane, so you can't go wrong either way. This is always one of those opinion things, so your mileage may vary. In my opinion, Danners are fine boots for general forestry work, but just aren't up to snuff for the fireline. You really want something task-built, and with the tall heel and Kevlar stitching. The heel makes breaking the boots in a pain, but you'll be thankful for 'em after a few hours on a steep sidehill. Oh, and use felt insoles whether you think you need 'em or not. Keeps toes dry and cool. Also leather laces.

Creston by SLOtown? My opinion is White's or Nick's. I have several pair of White's, most from ebay used. I wear then nearly everyday unless I am going to be on concrete. I have a bum knee and White's are the only boot I can wear every day. ( I wear different boots for backpacking.)

But a Peet boot drier and Obenhaufs grease and oil and a box of baking soda to keep your boots in shape.

To add to what 2Dogs said-Peet boot dryers, maybe the 2nd best invention since sliced bread. The best boot dressing was Loggers World Boot Oil- no longer made, so Obenhauf's is the way to go now.

If you want to get on as a sawyer... having your s212 FALA NWCG cert will go along way in helping you get in ahead of the next guy. Check out Colorado FireCamp- they run at least one s212 course a month.

coloradofirecamp.com

Heck, if you don't have any wildland fire training, look into doing a 130/190 course as well. I don't know much about wildland fire crews... don't know if hotshot crews even put a sawyer on the fire w/o a s212 FALB cert. Only way to get an FALB evaluation is to have your FALA though.

If you want to get on as a sawyer... having your s212 FALA NWCG cert will go along way in helping you get in ahead of the next guy. Check out Colorado FireCamp- they run at least one s212 course a month.

coloradofirecamp.com

Heck, if you don't have any wildland fire training, look into doing a 130/190 course as well. I don't know much about wildland fire crews... don't know if hotshot crews even put a sawyer on the fire w/o a s212 FALB cert. Only way to get an FALB evaluation is to have your FALA though.

While jargon can be downright annoying, and should not be accepted as a substitute for intelligence, anacronyms can be temendously dizzying yet mysteriously maintain some level authority.

Never be fooled by jargon. Just read some of the arborist's pages. ISA lingo, BLAH!

hl that is BS, NWCG and IFSTA lingo needs to b learned PDQ. CFC teaches S212 and I guess they cert FALA and FALB. Take ur PPE and ur MS440 and ur FSS chaps. Wedge color is up 2 u. Oh and drive a 2500 cuz an F250 won't start at alt.

I am impressed! You must know how to cut big catfaced oldgrowth redwood or something with talk like that!

:poop:

I just couldn't find the little one that bows so poop instead.

wouldn't compare the danners to the wesco, nicks, whites caliber of boot. though i do really like their field boots, like the pronghorn.

..and 'agency' vernacular can be nauseating, regardless of whether you should know it or not.

Latest posts

Back