danner flashpoint 2 vs. wesco firestormer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont want to rain on anyones parade, but having worked fire there are a few things to consider, hot shot crews rarely hire people without fire expirience (they normally only have two slots for rookies on the whole crew because there are ratio requirements, meaning there can only be so many rookies on a full crew), next being a sawywer on a fireline is a very prestigous job and that is not just given to 1st year firefighters (not to mention there is a lot of conditioning required to even cut fireline for a couple hours, the conditions are just so different from what you may be used to even with saw expirience). What i would reccomend is getting hired with a district and then do a two week fill in with the hot shots, if they think you cut it they will offer you a job. I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any specific questions im happy to help an up and coming wildland firefighter.

P.S. the only boots i would personally consider buying are 1st whites and 2nd nicks (nicks boots was started by a guy that worked for whites for many years), ive heard good things about wescos, but danner boots while nice have no business on the fireline.

You might consider just buying your White's used but in decent shape and owning 2 pairs. This is your boots a chance to dry between wearings. When you are at home the Peet boot dryer is used but when on assignment you can rotate out your boots. Don't forget a pair of Romeos to wear when possible too.

You might consider just buying your White's used but in decent shape and owning 2 pairs. This is your boots a chance to dry between wearings. When you are at home the Peet boot dryer is used but when on assignment you can rotate out your boots. Don't forget a pair of Romeos to wear when possible too.

No Romeos Carry Crocs. They weigh less and come in a variety of styles and colors. You could get a yellow pair to coordinate with the nomex shirt.

When our throw together crew went on an all expenses paid tour of E. Oregon, the guys went all out and bought colorful neckties to wear for dinner. A little bit of civilization in a world gone mad. A bit of humor is a good thing. Our crew had class.;)

I believe that Peet makes a propane fired boot dryer. Getting your boots dry at the end of day goes a long toward their longevity. Especially when you are shelling out $400+ bucks for them.

No Romeos Carry Crocs. They weigh less and come in a variety of styles and colors. You could get a yellow pair to coordinate with the nomex shirt.

When our throw together crew went on an all expenses paid tour of E. Oregon, the guys went all out and bought colorful neckties to wear for dinner. A little bit of civilization in a world gone mad. A bit of humor is a good thing. Our crew had class.;)

Crocs are cool. Mine are manly camo. I carried them last summer on a 70 mile backpack trip and changed into them at every chance. I didn't bring a tie.

Sadly Danner isn't near the company it used to be. The boots produced offshore don't hold a candle to their old Portland, American made boots. I bought a pair of Ft. Lewis "Go Devil" Danner's to break in and wear before going to Ranger school, I wore them for almost 18 years, used them for my "field boots" they've been resoled a couple of times. I still have them, and they are still in good enough shape to wear. it's sad you can't hardly find USA made Danners anymore. I've got a pair their 8" USA made hiker's in full leather I bought about five years ago, I'm guilty of babying them, afraid another pair won't be built as well.

And I wore holes in the heels of my Danners after a month of wear. I am sure they were made here. I never bought another pair. Guess steep ground and pumice soils were too much for them.

I did buy a pair of hiking boots a couple years ago, and they are doing well. I haven't used them for work.

Fair enough, fair enough. Shouldn't have used all the acronyms. It seems to me that when you want something, you take the necessary steps to get there. In the case of running a saw on a fire line, then meeting the National Wildfire Coordinating Group standards should be your goal. Getting on a fire crew and running a saw for the United States Forrest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, or Bureau of Indian Affairs will require all new hires to achieve a S212 Faller A certificate, and I would venture to guess that for a hotshot crew, a S212 Faller B certificate would be necessary. As hotshot crews are being hired by the feds on any national public lands fires, the National Wildfire Coordinating Group recognized certifications are required- doesn't matter if you've grown up with a saw in your hands or not.
Also, to even be able to step onto a fire assignment, you need your Red Card certification. You'll achieve your card by completing a S130/S190 basic wildland firefighting course. The guy wants some info on how to get there- just trying to help him out.

Latest posts

Back