Davit in action!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey nice set up neighbor!

I was just wondering how you get the chain out from under the log after setting it on the splitter?

Last edited:
With tongs you can set the log all the way down on the splitter and not worry about catching the chain between the ram and wedge or trying to pull it out first. Or have to roll the log around to get it on in the first place. You can also leave the tongs on as you are splitting so it will hold up one side of the log you are splitting.

Here's my little B21 with tongs loading the splitter.

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

Billy

Thanks SS

Its kinda small only 21hp but handy in the woods. I would like to get a 42hp with a grapple bucket. But its not in the budget.

IMG_0550.JPG

There it is with a 20' spruce I had a 8x8 cut from.

Billy

Made a cherry picker on the spliter with a hydro lift run off the spitter pump and swivels around.
We use tongs makes it quicker for the hook up on the rounds.

Made a cherry picker on the spliter with a hydro lift run off the spitter pump and swivels around.
We use tongs makes it quicker for the hook up on the rounds.

Got any pics of this thing ba? I'm looking to do the same this summer with my splitter, maybe even hook a chain drive to a hydraulic motor and have power swivel. Currently roll blocks into the loader bucket, drive up to the splitter and roll onto the splitter. Works well with a few people helping, but working solo it's hardly worth it.

I was thinking that if it were chained and somehow rigged so that you could turn it without taking it off the splitter, the chain would act like a tire on a splitting block. If the wood was of the kind that popped instead of a stringy variety, you could split it into several pieces without taking it back off to reposition. Maybe a cable with a buckle (can't remember what you call them, I have one in the truck) so that it could open up when the wood splits.

Ian

Splitter mounted hoist

Here is a picture of how the tongs can be used to hold one part of the round while you split the rest. Just swing it out of your way.

split1.jpg

BTW, here is a picture of one of the "uglies" that we lifted with the rig.

bigchunk.jpg

Those big chunks, I'd split with wedges first. Ubless really knotty/twisted, then I'd use the saw. The log loader on my splitter would probably pick one of those, but they usually won't split one shot, so you're wrestling that huge chunk to turn it, flip it, whatever. At 20, all that wrestling was a challenge. At 58, it's hard work. The crane is nice out & about though, at least you can get that stuff home. The chain is safer, I'd never get under something held by tongs.

Hey nice set up neighbor!

I was just wondering how you get the chain out from under the log after setting it on the splitter?

Because of time I was only able to split two rounds with it. The first one I pinched with the splitter a couple of inches off of the table and pulled the chain out. That big one I left the chain on and pulled it out after the first split. Those rounds are 2 year dried pine. So def not 500 pounds. Even if they were I think you would just need to use some common sense. Baileys 25" skidding tongs $119 Lifting tongs $240 plus shipping. I have $60 into the chain and it can be used for other stuff as well. With the chain I know it is not going to slip off of the wood. Like I said new setup. But I dig it! Really looking forward to having it to gather with. I hate to leave wood behind because I can't lift it! Thanks for the comments.

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=tongs&PageNo=1&x=15&y=7

The chain is safer, I'd never get under something held by tongs.

I'll disagree with you on the statement of the chain is safer. The round can, and will, roll right out of a chain whereas the lifting tongs will dig in deeper if the load is heavy.
The part that I'd agree with is getting under a load held by ANYTHING!
BTW, I don't even own splitting wedges. I got rid of them after I made my first splitter. :)

I'll disagree with you on the statement of the chain is safer. The round can, and will, roll right out of a chain whereas the lifting tongs will dig in deeper if the load is heavy.
BTW, I don't even own splitting wedges. I got rid of them after I made my first splitter. :)

That chain has a choker hook on it. Wood is not going to slip out of it.

Tongs are not approved for lifting, anywhere. Thsy are for skidding & dragging. But hey, it's your butt, not mine. Made in China probably stamped on them to boot..............:dizzy:

Looks good. you could use a heavy strap also. if you get a good wide one it will grip it well.

Tongs are not approved for lifting, anywhere. Thsy are for skidding & dragging. But hey, it's your butt, not mine. Made in China probably stamped on them to boot..............:dizzy:

Au Contraire, my friend. There are logging tongs (skidding, etc) and there are lifting tongs.

I'm sure there a bunch of manufacturers, but here's a link to one offering lifting tongs. Made in USA too. They're not cheap, though.

Lifting Tongs

Doug, you're right. I have an 18" wedge on mine. It pretty much splits anything on the first hit. I can see the problem with smaller wedges, especially the little fellars they put on the vertical machines.

I,m not so sure I,d want a log dangeling over my splitter like that.But whatever works for ya. I will say you got great taste in splitters. I also have a Wallenstein splitter. :greenchainsaw:

Because of time I was only able to split two rounds with it. The first one I pinched with the splitter a couple of inches off of the table and pulled the chain out. That big one I left the chain on and pulled it out after the first split. Those rounds are 2 year dried pine. So def not 500 pounds. Even if they were I think you would just need to use some common sense. Baileys 25" skidding tongs $119 Lifting tongs $240 plus shipping. I have $60 into the chain and it can be used for other stuff as well. With the chain I know it is not going to slip off of the wood. Like I said new setup. But I dig it! Really looking forward to having it to gather with. I hate to leave wood behind because I can't lift it! Thanks for the comments.

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=tongs&PageNo=1&x=15&y=7

To me your setup makes more sense, like you said you have a new chain and hooks for other uses as well. Tongs are pretty limited to other uses.

Kyle

Back