Dead blow hammer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonhudd

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used any of the orange dead blow mallet hammers from harbor freight? They look like they would have a lot of application with working in firewood and they are very inexpensive. Just watched a YouTube video where the guy puts a fiskars in a vise and then hits the wood with I e of these hammers over top the axe to split up kindling, it looked very efficient. Any way I was just thinking about ordering a couple if they are worth it?

I have one of the HF ones and I also have a Cornwell. Other than one being orange and one being black there isn't much of a difference.

I've got a couple of dead blows, but they are brand name. I do use them occaisionally to make splits smaller by knocking a hatchet through them. It certainly does work well.

I seen online that there are some very expensive ones, like the stanleys and didn't know if they were that much better than the harbor freight ones. I could buy all 4 that HF offers for the price of one of the stanleys. I also found an Estwing which I liked because it was made in USA but it was red not the orange and it was pricey.

I had one for several years, I don't recall the manufacturer but it was Black and kinda pricey when I purchased it. I said I had one because I was forced to replace it last winter after using in the cold trying to break a rusted bolt loose (hitting the breaker bar with the hammer to get it started). It only took one hit in the cold below freezing weather to crack the head into several pieces. I don't know if it would happen to different brands using a different type of plastic but I haven't tried it again in the cold. I picked up a new HF deadblow for cheap on sale $4. I may try it but usually I use a hand sized piece of a limb and use it as a club to hit the top of my hatchet driving it through making kindeling.

I have one that works great, It replaced a torn up snap on.:msp_thumbsup:

well for the price I am just going to go ahead and order them. If I can remember to I will let you all know how good they work.

Mine is orange, highly visible in the field. I use it to drive the plastic wedges into the kerf when bucking logs and felling. Very handy and it works well.

Mine is orange, highly visible in the field. I use it to drive the plastic wedges into the kerf when bucking logs and felling. Very handy and it works well.

now thats not a half bad idea. ive always used a boys axe but i tend to break my plastic wedges from time to time

Oak16.jpg

Neiko is the brand and it weighs 3 pounds.

Latest posts

Back