Dead, dangerous trees; a safety tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Dadatwins had a branch fall off a tree and whack him real good. See post: http://www.arboristsite.com/arboricultural-injuries-fatalities/206075.htm

Rather than adding to that thread, I thought I would post this idea where it will probably do more good for our community.

I have been in that same situation, and I often fear getting blasted from above. I have worked out a pretty quick way to assess the risk and make the job a lot safer, too: Use your throwball to set a rope over those dead limbs, then yank hard enough to either break them off or prove that they will stay on the tree.

Several times in the last year I have used this technique to good advantage. Once, we just didn't know whether a tree was sturdy enough to climb, or whether we needed to drop it entirely from the ground. 15 minutes later, we knew that the large pine was very unsafe, and we ended up crashing it into the street. I knew that each branch was so likely to crash on me, that I parked my bobcat bucket over my head while I cut it down. Nothing fell on me, but I knew it was a good idea anyway. That tree was fragile as glass.

Another job looked entirely too dangerous to climb, but we set ropes on each branch and broke that tree down using a gas rope winch. In this fashion, we were snapping off 16" diameter limbs, pulling them in the direction they needed to go, without ever climbing the tree. It turns out that it probably would have been sturdy enough, but the locust tree sure looked like a death sentence to climb. We did eventually get the whole tree small enough to fit the drop zone, and the customer was impressed. More work came to us from the neighbors that were watching.

When you guys KNOW that tree is going to try to clobber you when you cut it down, consider breaking off a few of the trouble branches overhead before it gets you. Maybe just the ones above where you will be standing to make the cuts?

You do have a good throwball system, don't you? If not, here is another good reason to spend the money.

Last edited:
I knew that each branch was so likely to crash on me, that I parked my bobcat bucket over my head while I cut it down. Nothing fell on me, but I knew it was a good idea anyway. That tree was fragile as glass.

I'm not positive about this, but as fas as I know, most Bobcats do not have the fail safe actuator like bucket trucks do to keep that bucket from coming down on top of you should there be a hydraulic line failure. One of those branches you were afraid of hitting your head could have hit a line and sent that bucket crashing down on you. We run a takeuchi tl140 tracked skidsteer that has warning labels all across it not to leave the arm upright unattended.

Again, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure i'm not. I took a hoisting/hydraulic safety course 5 or 6 years back and specifically remember the instructor spending 2 of the 8 hours on bobcats/skidsteers and why they are the most dangerous piece of construction equipment.

Sure. bobcat on head would hurt.

I'm betting that it would hurt less than a 300lb branch that fell 50'. I don't have a mobile steel tent, and the pine tree had about a zillion branches on it, waiting to come down. A quick shelter seemed like a good idea at the time.

I wasn't pulling it over with a rope, and I wasn't wedging it, so it really wasn't going to get shaken very much anyway.

With the smooth bucket parked about 6" off the trunk, there was no way that the machine was going to tip down under a huge load, and it wouldn't come down that fast on a broken line. This was a pine tree...lots of branches, none were really that big. Any of them were bigger than I wanted parked on my back, though.

BTW: I don't use the bobcat to push trees over, either. It's not very good at that, unless it is a smaller tree.

Last edited:
All you have to do is drop the maintenance lift arm support, and then it would not matter if the hydrolics would fail. That is what that is there for, and i use it all the time when i want to get out of the cab. After all thats what its there for.

Latest posts

Back