Dealer Attention

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seesaw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The conversation on the "026, will it last" post got way off track but, was very interesting. Many different views on how dealers approach their "customers".
In this age of internet access, the consumer has become more educated. This leads to the consumer doing more "shopping" and "tire-kicking" than ever before but in a different way. They now have the advantage of doing this on the computer rather than in the dealers showroom or by tying up his/her phone line. The consumer is less reliant on the personell at an OPE dealership for info because some or all of the info can be had online. I'm sure dealers get sick of the "how much for an XYZ with a 16" bar..."
These are the times, IMO, that dealers need to be the most diligent about treating every customer who comes thru their door as their most important customer! Regardless of the customers motivation or level of seriousness. When competition gets tough, it is how the customer was treated that wins the sale, not necessarily the price. I'm not saying you need to put on the used car salesman routine but....lately, I have been VERY dissapointed in the level of effort put forth by many of the dealers I frequent. It almost seems that they don't want to sell you anything. They assume you are just shopping (and from a consumer's stand point, what's wrong w/that?) and almost ignore you. When you ask questions, they treat you like you're wasting their time. I understand you need to draw a line on time invested w/a customer but please! It is my opinion that to many dealers are geting lazy in the sales area. They take on lines that will bring in the customers and, hopefully, sell themselves. It doesn't seem like the OPE dealers give a $#it about trying to sell . They want to be the Lowe's and Sears and Home Depots. Just sit behind the counter, smoke butts, drink coffee and run the register. While out to buy a saw, I had a dealer bark from across the counter while sitting on his ass, "$419 and not a penny less." I was looking at an 026PRO. This clown wasn't at all interested in informing me about my perspective purchase or price negotiation. The next dealer I went to, he had a salesman infront of him. I understood he was busy and I expected little attention. I overheard him tell that sales guy something to the effect of "If it doesn't bring the customers in to me and sell itself, then I'm not interested." I'm not saying all dealers are like this. What I am saying is that it seems like the OPE dealer is giving in to the circumstances and hoping that service will keep the lights on. This type of attitude toward the customers is the complete opposite to what I think they should be doing. The OPE dealers should be the professional ambassadors of their product and go that extra yard even if it may not pan out.
Seesaw

I couldn`t agree more!

You`re right on the money seesaw. The products that sell themselves are the ones that people are buying on the internet because of price, because they know they wouldn`t get any dealer service for any additional money anyway. How many times has anyone here walked into a saw shop and felt as if they walked into a bar in a small town far away from home where they didn`t know anyone, or a private club where they weren`t a member? Most of the people who own or work in these shops are good people, they just have to realize that they are the ambassadors of the products and that just because they are familiar and comfortable with their surroundings doesn`t mean the average consumer is. I`m tired of hearing about the small shop owner or employee who is too busy to spend time on consumer relations. It is human nature to stop and talk with those you know and feel comfortable with, but if you are so busy that you can`t stop and talk with those you don`t know, who are prospects, can you justify stopping to talk with your friends unless they are bringing you money? Work is work and play time is later. I know that of the many shops that I visit, most of them will make time to chat with me because I am known to them, but I have seen many of them in action with new prospects and they typically give them the bum`s rush for some reason. I could go on but I need to get ready for church, possibly a better forum for pontification, LOL. Russ

It seems to me the "BIG" dealer in my areas primary interest is the pro consumer market.

I purchased 2 consumer saws from this business.Since then I have visited this dealership several times and was not even greeted by a salesperson.After around 10 minutes I leave,that's enough time to allow someone thats "busy" to get around to me,in my opinion.

Purchases that would have been made with this business have actually been made at a smaller farm store in another nearby town.Don't get me wrong,this is a busy little store,but I'am usually in and out,with help,in less then 5 minutes.I don't want to waste their time and they don't waste mine.

Because of the lack of attention by the "BIG" dealership(close,just 7 minutes away)they have lost around $500.00(new blower,bars,chains,oil etc.)in sales,from me,over the last year.I'll admitt thats not a lot of money but it goes to the folks who show a little respect for their customers.

Rick

I know the places you are referring to Rick, the salesmen at the
big dealer are interested on commissions from selling ZTRs
and two cycle products are low on their list. You may try the dealer in Nicholasville too, he's a good guy.
In a lot of dealer settings, the only one that knows anything
about the product is the one that does the repairs, so that
person has a hard time filling the salesman's shoes, and most
saw techs are rude, crude types that have no social skills,
so smaller dealerships can be a good or bad place to shop,
depending on the dealer.

I think Fish touched on a valid point. It is as much the responsibilty of the customer to possess social skills as it is the dealer. If your dealer is about as exciting as watching paint dry, then do something to inject some life into him. Treat him as you want to be treated and you can usually bring them around. Sometimes when I see my dealer, and we are good friends, he is busy with another customer. So if I see someone looking at his saws I will help them decide what is best for them and ask what they were using before. If its the farmer type, I usually offer to buy their old saw if its a Stihl and sometimes Huskys. Im quite the oportunist.
Its easy to sell the 026 pro. Then I offer to show them how to file, whereupon they decide of their own accord to purchase filing accessories etc. When I have the customer all warm and fuzzy and proud and feeling like a logger, I pop the final question: " Got any standing timber?" I have found a few bushes this way.
Most dealers know very little about saws, however Fish is a good example of the exception.
As a customer, dont ask a grocery list of pat inane questions. Just read this forum, decide what saw you want and go buy the freakin thing! Your dealer will be happy to see you back.
John

Last edited:
Yep I have no skills to sell equipment.

Now parts is a whole nother story. "Yeah I need a new chain for my 046, full chisel" "You need a new sprocket? Checked yours lately?"

Just little stuff.

I stay in back, only go out on the sales floor to get my stuff.

The dealer that I bought most of my saws in the last 3 to 4 years isn't as good as I would like. Often when I call or go there nobody is behind the counter. While I still deal with them on occasion, I have started dealing with a very small family owned dealership. I like going there. I know them real well and they have bent over backwards for me on more than one occasion.

I'm living in a rural area, where there just isn't a lot of choice. Even here, a dealer that treats his customers badly enough will sooner or later figure out that something is wrong. My old chainsaw guy operated out of a little hardware store, blacksmith and repair shop his father had started to service farmers and loggers in thge area. I think they started selling Homelite way back in the '30's when all Homie had was 32V gensets.

This guy knew everybody in a 50 mile circle; his little store was also the local hangout for old-timers looking for coffee, gossip, and maybe even a little nip if it was getting late on Friday.

The store might have been a little bit of a surprise to some of the new customers showing up, especially the weekend-cabin types that needed a spark-plug for the cheap junk they drug in from the city, but, by golly, he had the dang thing, and after 10 minutes most of the city-slickers felt at home there too.

I miss the place; his kids wanted no part of it, and he decided 75 was old enough to retire. He had an auction a couple of years ago. I've found another place to get Jonsered saws, and the folks running the new store are happy to help, and even happier to talk about news in the OPE industry, but it's still not the same.

I hear what you are saying, but you have to understand that the dealer has to make a decision which way he wants to go. In other words you can stay small and keep many of the merits that you have talked about. That home town appeal that a mom and pop store brings. However, in order to get big you have to rely on hired help and allocate many of these tasks to other people. Now that is not to say you still cant be friendly by any means.

I realized that in order to get to the level that we wanted I could no longer work the floor or the counter. I do not help the day to day customers and in fact try to avoid them. The reason is that if I get into a half-hour conversation with a customer looking to buy a chainsaw then other more important tasks go left undone. I deal with only large customers or those that have bought chippers. We have to hire sales guys to handle other customers. Unfortunately, finding the help at a reasonable and profitable price (since we have documented how little margin is left for the dealer) is tough. Something has to give and that something is knowledge and experience. It is after all a business. Everything said is certainly valid and I would like to think our guys do a lot of that. But I guess I know that something is lost when the principal people in the business do not help every customer walking through that door. I figure that if there were 10 customers I would have sold saws to but, I can hire someone who would have sold 8, the 2 I lost will be easily made up in the amount of other tasks I can do that are much more profitable. Realism vs. Idealism.

What dealers need to do is realize that training and educating their help is the key. In fact this winter we are working on a printed version of every job we hire (parts, sales and service) which will have all of the basic information and expectations that a new employee needs to learn in order to be successful. The books will include reference materials as well as company procedures. I am also considering devloping tests as part of the education process. These tests may even bring higher pay scales. Checkers does it for their parts guys they seem to think that it is worth it.

attention

I live in a very rural area with a high ratio of pro users. We have always catered to the pro first as they are more frequent repeat customers.
How can a saw sell itself? The competition is tough even out here.
Greet the customer, ask him what he wants, help them decide which model is best for his needs, and pick the sales brochure up so you know what you are talking about. Be friendly and attentive, but not pushy. Take them in the shop and go through every aspect of its use. Offer them free checkup after break in. Show them what they need to know. What is a sharp chain? Show them. Pull the air filter out. Show a dirty one to compare. Show the chain brake operation. Cut with it.
This is a short version of what we do. I know we have the luxury of time, but how can you cut some one off who is spending 200 dollars and up?
Besides, the returns will be many over the years for service.
Greet every customer by name if possible, I can still recognize most of them. Definitely all the pros.

selling is similar no matter what u are selling. my experience, its knowledge of product ,enthusiasm about product[its catching] and common sense. the other thing ,credibility is an earned thing ,that is about as important as anything.

Latest posts

Back