Dean Modded MS460 II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
During all of the hoopla with the Dean bashing last month I sat back - although I already had one of his modded 460's with the big bore kit. Reason being, was because at work it lasted five hours until a wrist pin clip broke and destroyed the top end. I was fairy impressed up until then - I was cutting Shasta Fir at 7200 feet and it seemed to have pretty good torgue - but not as much RPM as I wanted. I knew why I did not have the RPM.
Anyway, after calling Dean about losing the top end he took it personally that his saw failed even though his work had nothing to do with the failures the clips were having in the BB kits. He and Bailey's wasted no time in getting another kit down, modded to MY specifications at no extra charge. He was professional and true to his word. Something any customer can appreciate.
Dean, wanted me to post my HONEST opinion, since I fall timber for a living and have run many modded saws - all 660's up until now. I live at 3000 feet elev. and many of my jobs are higher - so in order to get the RPM's I wanted (with Dean's boost ports - more fuel is distirbuted into the cylinder) I replaced the 68 jet (was only taching out at 13,000 with the 68) in the carb with a 64. After breaking the saw in the last few days bucking and logging blowdown yellow pine - I leaned the saw out to 13,900 and adjusted my low end jet to get accompany my RPM and have good low end at the same time. I will honestly say that I was blown away by the performance of this saw and can't wait to get back to normal working operations (weather) to use it everyday. Though the yellow pine I was cutting was soft, I used an 8 tooth sprocket with a 32" bar with semi-skip chisel ground chain and dogged in and bucked through 1000bf cuts like they were butter, seriously. I can't quite put it in the same conversation as my modded 660s, but its a really impressive saw.
I won't post cut times, numbers or videos - because that stuff means nothing to me. The bottom line is that I need equipment that makes me money and Dean's Modded MS460 will. I buy at least two saws a year and I will do business with him again. He is a pleasure to deal with and his word is as good as his saw. Sorry so long - but take this post for what it's worth.

Tree Sling'r said:
I fall timber for a living and have run many modded saws - all 660's up until now.
So, you don't have a similar basis for comparison is what you're saying? Have you ran a stock 460 or unmodified big bore version?
Tree Sling'r said:
I won't post cut times, numbers or videos - because that stuff means nothing to me.
But that is the common comparison for modified saws on this site, and these things are important to others. I'm glad you're happy with the saw, but I would like to see an actual comparison and a video, merely out of curiosity. Afterall, I've met folks tickled with Poulan wildthings--even a few professionals.

Stage 2 066 redlight

I too have sat back and watched the Dean bashing that went on. I wanted to post but figured that the feeding frenzy had started and it would have made little difference. So here is my testimony. My father in law had an old redlight sitting around that needed work I figured that it would be a perfect fixer upper saw. So I sent it to Madsens, they worked it over then I decided to give Dean A call. He picked it up and worked his magic on it. He was very friendly, helpful and professional. Whenever I called he took the time to talk to me and answer all my questions. We recently recovered a 24' long 4'across mahogany log of a beach near where I live. It was very heavy and the only way we could move it after we rolled it onto the high beach was to buck it in half (after much discussion and deliberation). With a 36" bar and full skip oregon 75CJX chain that saw was amazing. I do not have that much experience cutting hardwood but this old girl shined. I could put a on of up pressure and it just kept going. It far out performed my newer stock 066 mag. So this is my statement......Dean is a solid guy that builds kick butt saws.

spacemule said:
So, you don't have a similar basis for comparison is what you're saying? Have you ran a stock 460 or unmodified big bore version?
There is no comparison - I fool around with stock stuff all the time. One of my partners has a un-modded BB and there is a huge difference - he tried it yesterday.

Someone who works modded 660s has the reference to evaluate a 460.

If a stock 660 won't do it for you and a modded 460 will, that is a decent saw.

I wouldn't post vid either if I was pro that didn't like to argue.

Took guts to post. Kudos and happy logging.

Fred

Tree Sling'r...good posts. When I get ready for new iron or just fix the old stuff up I know where to send it. Times and videos and stuff are good for the racing guys and I don't doubt their validity. But...in the woods you find out quick what works or not. Like the man says "scale tells the tale" Dean better hire some extra help cause I think he's gonna get a ton of work...and he deserves it. Bob

Work Saws

I do think people get confused between work saws and play saws.

The best saw to have in the hands of a cutter is the one he likes and can run all day 5 days a week. If you are really lucky then that saw will cut alot of wood in a short period.

Here's your question. How many board feet in a lifetime of a cutter.

It's not a sprint it's a marathon.

Fred

bwalker said:
Please tell the story on how a large Mahagony log ended up on a beach in SW Alaska? Was it Luane(sp?)?

Having lived in coastal Alaska (Kodiak) I can verify that anything can wash up. The Japanese current washes stuff up from Hawaii, Japan, Russia all sorts. Ever hear about glass balls (floats)? They're from Japan, and you find them in SE and S Central AK. That'd be my story.

Jeff

Congratulations of being a satisfied customer. Its especially notable to have a good ending after a bad experience at the beginning. I applaud those who stand behind their work until the customer is pleased. Thanks for sharing your experience with Dean.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Having lived in coastal Alaska (Kodiak) I can verify that anything can wash up. The Japanese current washes stuff up from Hawaii, Japan, Russia all sorts. Ever hear about glass balls (floats)? They're from Japan, and you find them in SE and S Central AK. That'd be my story.

Jeff
fishhuntcutwood is right all sorts of random stuff washes up here. There is another one of these logs washed up across the bay from where I live but no real ecomomical way to get at it. The log that we have is not in the best of shape but not to bad either. It looks like it has been drifting around for a long while. After bucking it in half there is no rot and just alittle bit of shake in the center. I think that we will get some nice boards out of it.

Looks like Dean can build a saw after all. ;) I must say the technique he's taken in the last couple of weeks by avoiding the squabbles and allowing his customers to speak breeds a lot more credibility. Of course, it appears now that he may pick up some business from folks simply wanting to spite Ben, so maybe he was playing it right all along. :laugh:

Mr. said:
I do think people get confused between work saws and play saws.

The best saw to have in the hands of a cutter is the one he likes and can run all day 5 days a week. If you are really lucky then that saw will cut alot of wood in a short period.

Here's your question. How many board feet in a lifetime of a cutter.

It's not a sprint it's a marathon.

Fred

8-9 million? saying lifetime being 30 years in the woods.

Back