Dean Modified 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well the 460 with the big bore kit in it, and stage 2 modified by Dean at Washington Hotsaws came in the mail today. It isnt much to look at but it runs unbelievable. I havent gotten even 1 tank through it yet and I would say it will outrun a stock 385 and nipping the heels of the 395 right now. He tells me it should keep right up with the 395 once all broken in (maybe 10 tanks or so). I have it set up a little rich right now at 13,200 out of the cut. he says to run it at 14,000 once all broken in. I cut some 22" sugar maple that been sitting for about a year now with it at the shop today and it kicks the crap out of the 372, and even the muffler modded 575. I havent run it side by side with the 385 but from running them on a daily basis it feels much stronger.

It has a ton of torque to it. i have it setup right now with a 24" bar 3/8" chain .050 gauge. and a 9 pin sprocket on it. Once I get it broken in i'll post some times (in my own non racing experienced manner). It will be at the GTG on February 4th if anyone is on the fence about getting a saw built by Dean and is curious come on up and check it out.

Quote from Klickitatsacket from his thread 046 big bore tests on his forum

*BTW this kit works out to be smack dap on the 5 cube limit.*

04ultra said:
Anything more on the saw ?? Waiting for another report..

Not today it rained. I will put a few tanks through it tomorrow and see if anything wakes up a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW BostonBull

Thats good to hear !

If you do the math,,,,,, you have it set rich, it's not broke-in,, and it Zings with a 9 pin in sugar maple!

If your calling sugar maple the same thing I call s. maple, thats a good solid wood to test a saw with a 22" cut!

As for me, I would like to hear about a full rip cut just to know how much curly-que it could kick out,,,,, but i bet it would be close to pluging the SP, cover?

It sounds like a very cool saw, and seems like it could make a mill-saw!

Kevin

5 c.i. is 81.9cc, so the big bore kit is probably right around this size. I think I'd get more fun out of taking a 71cc 044 and bumping it up to 82cc, versus a 76.5 cc saw (the 046) going up to 82cc. But, hey, bigger is still bigger...I'm looking forward to trying the saw out at BostonBull's GTG.

BW I will be honest when I say I am not that good with posting videos. I will bring my digi camera to my GTG, it takes 15 second vid clips. I will post them here or have somone else post them here. I know you are a non believer in Deans work which is fine everyone has their own opinions. I have no other modifies saws to test against as of now but I do have stock huskys and I would say right now without being broken in, only two tanks so far, it is the same if not a wee bit better than a 385 with a 20" bar.

Rmihalek looking forward to meeting you.

I requested the 9 pin on Deans suggestion. I told him I will be mainly running a 20" bar on this saw and would like some chain speed and less of a torque band. I also have 7 and 8 pin sprockets that come with the saw from him. He said if that is the case then run a 9 pin on it and once its all broken in it will scream.

I had changed out to a 8 pin and 20" bar today to do a bunch of bucking in white oak, red oak, and sugar maple and wanted to see the type of torque it had. I was impressed to say the least.

Put almost another 2 tanks through it today so it will be 3 tanks in all, only 12 more to go till shes ALL broke in.

ShoerFast said:
Thats good to hear !

If you do the math,,,,,, you have it set rich, it's not broke-in,, and it Zings with a 9 pin in sugar maple!

If your calling sugar maple the same thing I call s. maple, thats a good solid wood to test a saw with a 22" cut!

Kevin

Acer Saccharum

Its good to see that Tree Sling r also likes his saw and the treatment he got from Dean. Two good witnesses means a lot to most of us.

Back