Dean Modified 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update.....

I ran a few more tanks through the saw today. I dint time anything. The reason for not timing anything is it doesnt really matter to me about times.
This saw really woke up today after this and a slight leaning of the carb as it fell a bit rich as it broke in more. I would definately say that this is dead even or just a pinch above a 395. I run muffler modded 575, 372, 385, and 038 Mag II all day everyday and this has it all over them. I was cutting up a 24" pine log with a 20" bar and 8 pin and it didnt even flinch, I think it is finally broke in enogh to be impressive with the 24-28" and 9 pin on there, similiar to the set-up Tree Sling'r is running.

The other thing that I love about this saw is the fact that it sounds like a 113 c.i. stroked Harley at idle. A few more tanks and i should be fully broke in and ready for the GTG.

I know that I have been quite the cheerleader for Dean in the past but this is all quite different his work is in my hands now and I am done cheerleading. I will let this saw speak for itself on Feb 4th and yuo'll see what I mean.

Its Acer saccharum!!!!!!!

The genus is a proper noun, yet the species epithet is not. "saccharum" is latin for "sugary," hence the term sugar maple.

Husky288XP said:
Its Acer saccharum!!!!!!!

The genus is a proper noun, yet the species epithet is not. "saccharum" is latin for "sugary," hence the term sugar maple.

Let me make sure you're correcting the capitalization of the species name? :(

I never purchased a running saw from Dean and probably never will. I'm a lineman in orange county Ca., not a logger. I am a two stroke fanatic though and have purchased a ton of mac parts from Dean, ran up his phone bill, and met him in person at a show. To be honest I think he's lost money sending me parts and saws trying to keep this (me) impatient customer happy. He's a straight shooter and a someone I consider a friend. If he says it'll run it will.
I 'm glad to hear you are happy with your saw, I'm not surprised though. JP

What Ben too "Forestry-ish" for you? I figured you need to learn a little about the binomial nomenclature system, since you go on and on about 2-cycle engineering. This will make you a more well-rounded individual.

See sugar maple is:
Aceraceae Acer saccharum Marsh
Family Genus Species Authority (i.e. Linnaeus: Species Plantarum 1753, etc.)

It is a very important part of forestry, arboriculture, horticulture, botany, biology, etc. How would we communicate to our associates in say Russia? In botanical terms!!!!

Only the ignorant are careless.

Steve, I think its safe to say many on this board including myself are aware of what binomial nomenclature is. After all its lesson #1 in botany 101.
I think its also safe to say that A. this isnt a forestry BB and B. most of us do not have asaociates in Russia.
The point is to nit pick someone for not using caps in the proper place on a chainsaw BB is a joke.
BTW just how well rounded is your education?

Last edited:
Correct Wordage,,,,,

In this case, it did help me look the word up to get the proper description.

There sure are a lot of differant local nick-names for trees.

Back home , we could talk about what order trees should come down by there nick-names,,,, and everyone would be on the same page.

Take the piss-elm (Ulmus alata Michx) , there usally the worthless ones that are in the way, to get too Elm elms (white) or red elms (Ulmus rubra).

But if ya haddent noticed, some here think that Deans saws would work exceptionaly well for all of them!

Hhhhmmmmm?

Good Job Dean!

Kevin

Back