Decarb with a hot plug?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesv842

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with different methods for decarbonizing. I had the idea of using a slightly hotter plug for a bit to try to burn out that carbon. What are your thoughts? I believe you cant go too cold with the plug because you'll get too much buildup anyway.

Most likely accomplish more by simply switching brands of mix oil or ratio of mix. Different additives and different solutions of additives will "wash" deposits off.

This is more of a common question than people realize. Not so much with the plug, but carbon build up removal. I question using detergents in the fuel or any carbon dissolving products. Not from experience but from imagination. I'm thinking the dissolved carbon would act as a fine abrasive if it were to come in contact with the two stroke oil in the mix which would cause the rings to wear through the nickel plating at the top of the chamber.

If your not getting any carbon build up, something is wrong. I'd start by using an oil that aids the combustion process not resists it. Tune correctly not to rich and run your equipment wide open throttle as much as possible using the freshest fuel you can.

Darn I put some hot plugs in my old oil burning tractor hope it dosen't melt the head off!!!! hahahahahahahahahah s t u p i d

It's the plug that is hotter, not the engine. So if you're trying to de-carbon the plug it might help, but it won't do anything to remove carbon from the engine.

I filled the head of a 16 yr old saw with Seafoam the other day after bringing it to TDC and let it soak. Will probably do it again several times to see what happens. Think this saw is due for rings at least so I can evaluate when I tear it down

stihl makes some decarbonizer that i use, comes in a six pack you just have to make sure you get all the carbon out that it loosen ups. works very well for me

Never had much luck with the decarbonizer fluid. I did try oven cleaner though and it works great, at least on the piston, and didnt see any aluminum corrosion. Still having trouble getting it off the top of the chamber though.

Also I agree with CR888. I've never seen a well-used saw without carbon.

Some engine designs/setups give are different in the amount of carbon build up. I clean piston crowns & exhaust ports about once a year or two on regulary used OPE,(< look what the censors did when I wrote OhPeeEee) its just part of the deal when you maintain you own equiptment. Scotch brite discs on a die grinder are great for piston crowns. Safest and best way is to remove cylinder so carbon pieces does not contaminate and damage things, but exhaust ports can be done just removing muffler and making sure piston covers port. Compressed air is your friend.

Never had much luck with the decarbonizer fluid. I did try oven cleaner though and it works great, at least on the piston, and didnt see any aluminum corrosion. Still having trouble getting it off the top of the chamber though.

Also I agree with CR888. I've never seen a well-used saw without carbon.

I own an Evinrude Ficht outboard, 225 ponies. This is the engine that bankrupted Evinrude, first DI engine but it injected oil directly onto the plug, carboned up and then blew up! Every 2 yrs I load it up with fuel conditioner, let it sit overnite and then fire it up, blows black crap everywhere. Mine is still running ( 2004 motor) I also run the XD 100 2/c oil which runs about $50/gallon.

if carbon really bothers you just run it full bore and spray some mercury powertune into the intake. some might say this is no good and that's there opinion. i have done it and it doesn't hurt the saw at all and cleans the carbon up nicely. i don't care enough about carbon to worry so i just run my saws til they die. i think with that said, 98% of AS don't need to worry either. burning fuel will produce carbon. just because there is a light layer on your piston after you burned 5 tanks does not mean you need to clean it lol

All saws must be polished inside and out to be a true PSP saw. A good way to keep the internals shinning to a mirror finish is to keep saws nice and snug on a padded shelf in a temperature controlled environment. Operating the saw is bad for carbon therfore should not be done. Next we can have a thread about keeping mufflers clean.

All saws must be polished inside and out to be a true PSP saw. A good way to keep the internals shinning to a mirror finish is to keep saws nice and snug on a padded shelf in a temperature controlled environment. Operating the saw is bad for carbon therfore should not be done. Next we can have a thread about keeping mufflers clean.
I mix a little pumice with my fuel mix to polish the internals to a fine finish. It works especially well on those chromed piston Poulans so that when you look through the exhaust port it just shines!

Latest posts

Back