decibles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawrenz

Reaction score
hey guys, new to the site - nice to see there's a place for you to discuss the business....

i have quite a few left over logs on my property and my friend would like to cut them up. my neighbors are all fine with it except for the old fart next door. says the logs are an eye sore (they are, but they're behind trees) and that the chainsaw is too loud. how am i supposed to get rid of the logs if i don't use the chainsaw??

anyway, my real question is... how loud is an 066 in decibles? 80? i would think it would say on a spec sheet that comes with the saw - friend lost his. i'm going to check the codes and see what the local ordinace is regarding noise. can someone check their spec sheet for me? i'd REALLY appreciate it. how many decibles is the typical local ordinance i wonder. thanks again,

lawrenz

Run your saw, ignore the old fart next door. Just don't run it before 8:00AM or after 6:00PM and don't run it on Sundays.

Every city/county is different, but the strictest are typically as described above. He is being unreasonable so just don't give him any legal ammunition to use against you.

Welcome Lawrenz,I don't know the decibel #but , sounds like the old f@rt will complain, regardless.Maybe offer him some firewood or arrange the cut when he is not home.Let us know how it turns out.

Sounds like the guy is just trying to be hard to get along with. If he keeps being a jerk, start using your yard as a staging area for your saw logs. When the pile gets higher than the house he might shut up. Besides, good fences make good neighbors. :D

You can get a dB meter from Radio Shack. The further you are from the sound source, the lower the dB's. Call the local police station and let them know exactly what you're doing, cutting firewood for your own use, not commercially. Ask them what the regs are.

If you want to muffle the noise you could set up a few sheets of plywood to act as a sound barrier just like is used on the freeway. Also, aim the muffler away from grumpies house. Ask him when he will be gone to show that you're accomodating him. Also, document when you talked with him, what you said and his replies. That way if things escalate you won't be standing there sucking air if the cops get called.

Tom

thanks to those who replied. i plan on calling to get the local noise info. we usually cut on saturdays, but made the mistake of cutting today (sunday) which perhaps gave him a little extra grumpy juice. besides that, i think i'll ignore him. our houses are seperate but we share a driveway and our garages at the end of the driveway share an adjoining wall. maybe we should cut up the logs my side of the driveway! :D

thanks again, and if anyone does have the decibel rating, please forward.

-L

My 026 puts out 110 dB (weighted) according to the spec.- couldn't say whether your saw would be much louder or quieter.

Back